So, how many people here play guitar?

Metal_isthe_Answer

Ive been wanting to learn for a while, in fact I bought a guitar (mainly for my guitarist so I dont have to lug his guitar and amp back and forth from my place to his) and Ive started practicing every day for 15 to 30 minutes.
So far Im doing basic chords and strumming, and practicing the chromatic scale, what advice would you share for improving my technique or to help me learn?

Also, if anyones interested, I have a 6 string Ibanez tuned to drop B and a very nice amp, it sounds absolutely brutal when played right, ie, by someone else

pakistan

drop B ?? if your new at this, i suggest you stick with Standard tuning E and sometimes go Drop D...

The only advise guitarists give each other is PRACTICE PRACTICE PRAACTICE !!!..

Oh just saw your username. Metal eH :p.. Still you cant just start playing on Drop B, just cause its a more satisfying sound...i remember playing amazing grace for a whole flipping week when i started..it really helps the finger positioning and stuff

Metal_isthe_Answer

drop B ?? if your new at this, i suggest you stick with Standard tuning E and sometimes go Drop D...

The only advise guitarists give each other is PRACTICE PRACTICE PRAACTICE !!!..

Oh just saw your username. Metal eH :p.. Still you cant just start playing on Drop B, just cause its a more satisfying sound...i remember playing amazing grace for a whole flipping week when i started..it really helps the finger positioning and stuff

Yeah, I was thinking bout tuning back up, I left it on drop B cause thats what my friend left it at, if the lightest string hadnt broken when he tuned it last I would be less hesitant to do so, either way I suppose that Ill do that if that would be the best idea

takethislife

What's the string gauge for drop B?
As for advice, yeah just practice it's the only way. But IMO 15-30 mins is not enough if you wanna get good. Make that an hour if you have the time. What amp btw?

Blabla..

can one learn on their own or should I take lessons?

There are some very nice videos all over youtube , and all over the web.

Depends if you are autodidact , i personally learned by myself , that's how i always learn stuff , you need to have a big enough interest and nothing can stop you.

Remus

Staff member
Yup, can sing too. Was in a band back in the day with my brother. Fun but scarey times

Tiercel

I play from time to time. Anxiety keeps me from seeking out others to play with, and apathy keeps me from playing as much as I'd like to.

Tips? Scales are boring, but they really do help you to learn. Not only do you learn what notes are at what frets on what strings, but it gets your mind and hand used to playing (especially if you don't play a similar instrument), and allows you to start thinking in things other than power chords. You can find out what intervals you like the sound of, and incorporate them into your playing. Unless you just like chugging away on muted open strings.... ;)

And when you practice, try to practice correctly. Sloppy practice leads to sloppy playing, and it's much harder to break a bad habit after you've been doing it for years. And try not to play faster than you're comfortable with. Speed, like everything else, comes with practice. And it never hurts to explore music other than what you're currently interested in.

Try to learn some songs you like that aren't too fast or complex. I don't know exactly what kind(s) of metal you like, but think more Metallica, less Ride The Lightning.

And what amp, Metal? We're dying to know.

:D