Social Anxiety is NOT Mental Illness!!

SaharaWorld

Seems like a few people are having an exceptionally bad day/week.

I.e. being somewhat hostile/intimidating by ridiculing and dismissing other peoples' posts simply because they disagree with the views posted OR because the posts don't interest them?

Perhaps this is why some guests/new posters prefer to lurk than actually post.

It isn't helpful.... us turning against eachother - I thought we were all sick of people dismissing or belittling us in the 'real world' simply for being a bit different to the 'norm'.

magda74

DazedNConfused said:
In other words, if a series of traumatic/humiliating events in ones life causes you to be chemically imbalanced, would more positive experiences and or perception on life cause the chemicals in your brain to balance themselves?

Don't know, but I hope so.

Hi Magda, chemical states which effect mood are influenced by many things: the way you hold your body, exercise, love, hate, emotion, memory, food, sex, and the list goes on. There is new research which shows that the personality can change even after the age of 30, and new brain patterns and physiological responses can be created at any age.

That's good news. Especially considering how crucial areas of your brain stops developing at about 5 years of age. It's a relief to know that there's hope for us to change at any age.

btw, how do you do the double quote thing?

DazedNConfused

magda74 said:
DazedNConfused said:
In other words, if a series of traumatic/humiliating events in ones life causes you to be chemically imbalanced, would more positive experiences and or perception on life cause the chemicals in your brain to balance themselves?

Don't know, but I hope so.

chicagoanxiety said:
Hi Magda, chemical states which effect mood are influenced by many things: the way you hold your body, exercise, love, hate, emotion, memory, food, sex, and the list goes on. There is new research which shows that the personality can change even after the age of 30, and new brain patterns and physiological responses can be created at any age.

That's good news. Especially considering how crucial areas of your brain stops developing at about 5 years of age. It's a relief to know that there's hope for us to change at any age.

btw, how do you do the double quote thing?

Write it like I have above

ignisfatuus

Perhaps the OP should change the title of the thread to "shyness is not a mental illness" as SA certainly is (I would also be interested to know if the OP subscribes to Scientological notions of psychiatry). Instead of trying to create a category outside of "mental illness" in order to avoid the stigma that has become attached to the term, the public needs to be better educated and efforts made to eliminate discrimination against those with a mental illness.

chicagoanxiety

SaharaWorld said:
Seems like a few people are having an exceptionally bad day/week.

I.e. being somewhat hostile/intimidating by ridiculing and dismissing other peoples' posts simply because they disagree with the views posted OR because the posts don't interest them?

Perhaps this is why some guests/new posters prefer to lurk than actually post.

It isn't helpful.... us turning against eachother - I thought we were all sick of people dismissing or belittling us in the 'real world' simply for being a bit different to the 'norm'.

Very well put. Learning to agree to disagree says a great deal about a person. I stand by my opinions and/or views, and respect the right of others to feel differently. :)

chicagoanxiety

DazedNConfused said:
If being in a depressed state long enough results in chemical imbalances, do you think being out of a depressive state for a sufficient time would make you more chemically balanced?

btw- ChicagoAnxiety, it's good to see another person from the area on here, welcome!

Hi Dazed, the mind and body are amazingly forgiving. I have a few saved articles on how the brain creates new brain patterns and/or behaviors even as an adult. I'll sift through my mailbox and try to find them. :)

chicagoanxiety

renegade said:
Yes, I read that too, that we use only a small percent of our brain. It's all controlled by the amygdala, a small part of the brain that makes us experience fear, anger and negative emotions when clicked backward and joy, happines, creativity, increased intelligence and all positive feelings when cliked forward.

I know this may sound like a fairy tale, I am kind of skeptic too, but there must be some truth hidden in all this. And by learning to control conscionsly this ''steering wheel'' it should be possible to induce ourself any state of mind we wish, and learn to overcome fear, SP that is :lol:

For those of you intrested in the subject , visit http://www.neilslade.com/, but i'm sure you want to find treatment, so you'll find this more usefull http://www.panic-anxiety.com/, I want to try this method before taking drugs witch might have side effects and other complications. If anyone tried it please let me know.

And my opinion is that this phobia isn't about a chemical balance in the brain or mental illnes, it's more about your genes and learned behavior, like in if your actions have no effect you retreat and don't try anymore cause you've learned that it is no use. And the more you try with no succes, the more you belive that there is nothing you can do about it. Untill it comes to the point that you are so afraid to even take a chance in doing something cause failure it's so painfull that you cannot take it.

Hi Renegade I agree with your comments concerning learned behavior. I'll visit the websites mentioned in your post also. Thanks