Social anxiety, more present sometimes than others...

Angel_Of_Death

What I mean is... I've been suffering from social anxiety for a good part of my life (I'm 24), but it seems that at certain times the anxiety is more present, more intense compared to other times when I have it more in control.

For example, for the last couple of days I'm feeling generally more anxious (socially), which means that the anxiety symptoms manifest themselves more easily. I'm talking about general nervousness, the heart pounding, the sweating and the shaky voice.

So my questions are...

1- Do you notice your anxiety having different degrees at different times, or do you generally feel equally anxious at all times ?

2- How do you explain this ?

3- How do make the anxiety less, at times where it's more intense...?

I definitely notice it being worse at some times. Sometimes I'll just have a 'bad week' for no apparent reason. Though I can often narrow it down to something like I'm tired or a little bit hungover, or hormonal because of women problems :roll: . And then if I have a day where i'm more anxious for whatever reason, I find it will just get worse as days go on until I do something like:
(a) exercise like crazy for an hour...best medicine!
(b) do something new, like going for a short walk somewhere I feel uncomfortable, because when I get home i'm proud of myself for doing it and I feel stronger in general.
Hope I helped!

roseycheeks

I have good and bad days. havent been able to pinpoint the causes of this.
I know that poor diet (eg high in caffein/sugars) is said to play a role. personally havent noticed a connection. im not a coffee drinker though.

NothingElseMatters

1- Do you notice your anxiety having different degrees at different times, or do you generally feel equally anxious at all times ?

I feel the anxiety a lot when i have to deal with some specific situations e.g shopping at a small shop or entering a room with ppl seated etc etc.In some situations my anxiety is very small and i can handle it

2- How do you explain this ?
My brain is f**** up!!

3- How do make the anxiety less, at times where it's more intense...?
3. I listen to some uplifting music before going out.Other times i read my positive affirmations. Most of the time i can't handle my stress and either i give up or i do what i have to do

zlench

Sometimes it's not so bad. Other days it's terriable and I can bearly do anything. I'm just ****ed up person. To getaway from my anxeity is that I just need to calm and down and getaway from people and be alone.

BlackKids

Somedays from the minute I wake up I know its going to be a bad day. Its so frustrating. I've been sleeping and exercising regularly. I haven't taken't drugs/alcohol for months and still doesnt seem to make any difference.
Same goes for good days too though.

stand_up

1- Yes I do notice my anxiety having different degrees at different times

2- I feel more anxious when I feel: small, less competent, in a unfamiliar social/professional environment, lacking in skills or knowledge about something, about to ask a "silly/basic" question or when I am around powerful or attractive people.

3- In a social setting - I remind myself that being quiet is not necessarily bad, I can be seen as polite, cool and knowledgeable, which I do end up feeling if I put myself in this frame of mind.

In a professional/job setting - I control my anxiety by reminding myself that I am a professional. I have a role and I am here to do my job. As long as I have the capacity to be honest, ask questions if I am not sure, and take ownership of matters (even if they are mistakes) .... I do not need to have any fear or worry.

I practice thinking in the way that I should not make myself meet other people's expectations just to score their acceptance or respect for me,.... Instead it's about other people earning my respect instead..... I always remind myself of this.

Exercise helps making me less anxious.

when I screw up a single social situation, it increases my anxiety level. ANd I stay anxious for a long time after that

Untamed88

I've noticed that mine varies. Most of the time I am very shy but sometimes (extremely few and far between) I can have an encounter with someone and come away and be hit with the realisation that I had a comfortable interation with them.
I work in a shop and the customers don't even seem human to me anymore so my SA varies a lot there. Some people I can't even get words out to talk to and others I can actually start to argue or joke with.

JosephG

I've been noticing this recently! But I have actually no clue most of the time what causes my anxiety to intensify. Sometimes it just occurs for no reason whatsoever. I will be sitting down minding my own business watching TV and I will notice I am having palpitations and have that insecure feeling that feels like it is encompassing my whole body. It's strange.
However this is helping me to learn how to spot it and then I try my best to ensure that the symptoms do not get worse and end in a full blown panic attack.
I guess sometimes (due to the nature of our conditions) that anxiety manifests for no reason. Perhaps due to something sub conscious? I wouldn't know I am no psychologist :p