social phobia and blushing

Anonymous

I was recently diagnosed with social phobia. I main problem is that I am afraid of what people will think about me because I blush easily. I even blush at unappropriate times when there is nothing to be embarrassed about. How many out there have this problem? What did you do?

LEXUS

Hi Kreuer!
I'm from the spanish forum of Social Phobia. I'll try to write you some tips (I hope you'll understand it!):
I have the same problem like you, and I think most of the people who have Social Phobia too. The main problem of a social phobic is "¿what are people thinking of me?"; This is because we don't accept ourselves, or we don't accept some parts os us. Firstly, you have to accept your problem, that you blush easily, and have positive minds; leave negative minds, like "people are looking that i'm blush"(can you read the mind of the other people? think about that). This is a good tip to reduce your blush.
I experimented this change in me for a few months, and I can tell you it works, but it's difficult, because you have to be very constant, but not impossible: You have to reeducate your mind.
Hope to hear you soon kreuer!

Jay_nee

Social Phobia & Blushing

I'm one too! Was on Seroxat for four years and now taking Cipramil which I find helps. I have started to accept that I just simply blush and sometimes it doesn't bother me. Other times it can still set me off in a panic. But it rarely happens now being on the medication. I wish there was a cure though!

SamanthawithSAD

:D I also suffer from social phobia, but I guess I never really thought about if i blushed or not.. I dont think I have ever seen someone blush in my life, to tell you the truth, is it possible to SEE someone blush? I am more worried about what I say and do in front of people, especially people I dont know, or people that I want to like me.

Jay_nee

Some people blush furiously and go very red and hot. These days I think I worry more about the fact that it MIGHT happen more than it ever actually DOES happen. My face feels like its about to give me away and embarress me as I feel my face heat up, but it doesn't always go obviously red these days - thanks to the drugs!

Anonymous

Hi ::::
I'm sad to say that blushing has been a problem for me too. Most of the time now I can just try not to think about it, but it's like a heavy thought in the back of my mind always. I suppose the high dose of medication keeps it under control a bit. I remember noticing it first when I was 13 that I would get flushed and very uncomfortable in the classroom at some moments, and I didn't even understand why really. I've always been shy, but this was something that made me feel almost sick like if i had a fever :oops: Well now I'm 24 and on Prozac and still struggle with this much. So don't feel alone who ever has this. I feel like I'm alone with this a lot, but apparently not when I hear others tell of similar experiences .

solo1

Hi "kids" :wink: :)
I am past the half a century mark age-wise :( and I have been a "blusher" :oops: for as long as I can remember, I can even remember getting "comments" regarding it as far back as 2 years of age! (Imagine THAT... but yet I'll forget sometimes what I had for breakfast the day before, or if I even ate any! :lol: ) And, I just blushed vividly last week out in the hall of my apartment complex over one of those "foot-in-the-mouth" type things I remarked! :oops: When I was younger, my blushing embarrased me and caused me to blush even MORE, :x ARGH! What a "catch-22"! But you know what, I'm really PROUD of my blushing NOW, HONEST! :D I look at it as a "feature", something that makes me~~"ME", along with my blue eyes, blonde hair, etc. I've made a discovery over the years, and trust me on this one, our blushing does NOT make us a FREAK SHOW, quite the opposite, many people have found it an attractive, alluring trait and many people have even been envious of it! I think we all have a rare "gift"! Stop worrying and trying to hide it, BLUSH ON & BE PROUD! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:!!!! You'll soon find out for yourselves that what I just told you is TRUE! If someone seems to be making fun of you for blushing, chances are they are simply pleasantly surprised, or very envious! :oops:

Anonymous

Hi guys!!
Give me five!!!
I get blushed a lot!! it makes me feel extremely embarrased. I feel like a tomato. I don´t go to parties or meet with friends because I´m afraid of my getting blushed. I don´t even work!!! because of that!
I´ve been thinking seriously about the surgery which is sad to finish with the problem once and for all.

shrnwarks

Hi all :D

I've only just been diagnosed with social phobia too,even though i've had it for 12 years!The only reason i went to see my gp was because i'd become very depressed.What i'm finding hard at the moment is trying to tell people,i've never told anyone(too embarrassed of course)i can't even bring myself to tell my close friends or my family :( I hadn't even heard of social phobia untill a few weeks ago...thought it was just the way i was,and had to live with it.Was shocked to find out that there are so many sufferers out there.

Anyway...i just really wanted to say hi to you all.Would be great to hear from you :D

Sharon

Anonymous

Hi , I'm letty. I just recently discovered that I have SP.
Well I 've felt this way for along time but just discovered there was a name for it.
I believe I'm getting worse and would like some advice on where to start to get help?
I heard of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy...
Has anyone gone thru CognitiveBehavioral Therapy? and if so, did it help? what about meds?

shrnwarks

Hi Letty,

I too have only just been diagnosed with SP,even though i've had it for 12 years.I didn't know there was a name for my "problem" i thought it was just the way i was.I only went to seek help because i had become so depressed,and felt that i could no longer cope.My gp was great.He put me on cipramil,and has referred me to a pyschologist.I am on a waiting list and could be waiting up to 2 years! I have been taking cipramil for just over 2 months now and found that it has been a great help.

If you haven't already,i suggest you go and see your gp.There is help out there if you are willing to get it.If you really feel that you can't go and see your gp,maybe you could write to him.

Good Luck,

Sharon :)

chris_1982

i'm a social phobic but dont blush, i just dont know what expression to have on my face sometimes, that makes me concious.

I have to say tho, when i chat to a girl and she blushes or gets embarrased, i think its cute. :D

Anonymous

blushing....

Hey Folks,jsut a little suggestion for people with this problem to try getting into the habit of regular relaxation sessions or meditation.This, when done on a regular basis, may help you calm down and blush less in your everyday life. For example,lie on the bed for 20 minutes, closing your eyes and focussing on one bodypart for a while, then another,until you have covered all of the body.For example:scalp,forehead,eyes,nose,cheeks,mouth,throat,neck,shoulders,left arm,left hand etc,etc.There are many books and sites on the subject of relaxation or meditation..........Good Luck.

Anonymous

i know how you all feel...........
i also blush. not in the face but around my neck...it looks like a rash of some sorts
it doesnt happen all the time and i can navigate through a crowd without much trouble.....only when i am directly approuched or put on the spot..do i feel like curling up in a corner somewhere.......
home was my "safe haven" and is starting to feel like a prison :(
it ihas affected my employment........i recently quit my job..not for those reasons..but now i have no reason to leave home except to find a job and i am starting to realize how this phobia has made me feel like people are judging me..........fearing one on one interveiws
i have to beat this phobia or live on the street :( .....it seems unfair
what did i ever do to deserve this :roll:
anyway im saying i know how you all feel :D
i can smile because im sure people will see this and know how i feel too!!
not being alone is comforting...lets beat this thing together,,,

Anonymous

I'm just the same with the blushing. I've noticed that i blush only when having one-on-one conversations with someone or a couple people. When i'm in a group setting I usually start to shake and cant figure out what to do with my facial expressions or my hands cause i always think people are watching me. If the attention is on me like for a presentation, I usually shake and my voice will get unstable. And when i walk down the hall in school sometimes it feels like my neck is really tense and almost twitchy.

But when it comes to me and my personality I'm a really cool person. I'm just like everyone else.. not dorky or geeky or a loner.

people probably think I must be one of those because I'm so quiet and cant be myself in school. If i could be the person i want to be, I would have so many more friends and be able to enjoy life just like every other teen out there.

shep

Mark Twain said something to the effect that man is the only species of animal that blushes---and for good reason..... :oops:
Also, and not to put too fine a point on this, but it looks like most of the red faces are from the USA and the UK :roll: Hmmmm...... lol
Anyway, I hope everyone took this in good humor as it was intended. :wink:

ella

Tisha said:
Hi , I'm letty. I just recently discovered that I have SP.
Well I 've felt this way for along time but just discovered there was a name for it.
I believe I'm getting worse and would like some advice on where to start to get help?
I heard of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy...
Has anyone gone thru CognitiveBehavioral Therapy? and if so, did it help? what about meds?
Hi Tisha!
I`ve been through CBT and all I can say is that it worked for me.With the help of good therapist and adecvate medication it can be a life saviour.But I must warn you I`ve read CBT showed no improvement for some individuals.Anyway, I warmly recommend it to you.Try, what can you lose?

Anonymous

don't know what to do?

Hi everyone, i've been reading all your msgs and it helps to know there are others that feel the same. I blush pretty badly and most of the time for no reason at all!!! When I do blush for no reason I feel like people are gonna think I'm weird because of it. Just this week I was talking to two of my teachers and a school mate and I went scarlet and turned away from them to hide my face. I remember feeling trapped in the room when all I wanted to do was run out of it. I dont know why I did go red but I ended up leaving early because I just couldn't concentrate on work anymore through being so worked up about it. I've also noticed that I try to avoid being around people that I particularly want to like me incase I make a fool out of myself by going red. This kind of thing happens alot and has been happening alot more recently.I get the blushing from my mum. She says she knows how I'm feeling and that she used to be the same and still is. She said she just learnt to live with it but I'm not sure thats gonna help right now. I wondered if getting fit and regular exercise would help me to not go as red? Or if anyone else has some suggestions that worked well for them please let me know! :oops: