Social Relationships Are Meaningless?

Solitudes_Grace

I have been thinking. It is becoming difficult for me to justify forming social relationships with anyone because I have realized that most social relationships are only temporary. Friendships and romantic relationships very rarely last a lifetime. Most likely, these sorts of social relationships will eventually end completely. Family relationships are a bit different because in American culture, family relationships are not likely to completely disappear. The strength of family relationships may diminish over time and across distance, but they are unlikely to completely end. In summary, while family relationships are more likely to be stable and have some degree of permanency over a lifetime, other forms of social relationships are more likely to only be temporary. How are we supposed to justify spending time and energy on friendships and romantic companionship when we know our efforts are most likely going to be in vain?

Tinkertoes

I beleive it is to get us through that moment in time.
I c where you are coming from, alot has happened to me like that.
But if i dont hav a friend in certain times,
I may not be able to get through it at all.

coyote

my reasoning is just the opposite

because relationships ARE so temporary

you don't have to worry so much about what happens

just relax and engage with people and see what develops

the worst thing that could happen is that the relationship ends - but you already know that's going to happen at some point anyway right?

so why sweat it?

MrJones

Everything in life ends sooner or later, so we have to enjoy it as much as we can as long as we can.

Anwyay as some family relationships don't last forever there are chances that a friendship or a romantic relationship does, right?

I really have no idea about any kind of relationship, but I think that if you try to find someone with who you can enjoy your life, even if it's just a part, you should go for it.

¯\(º_o)/¯

gotta live for the moment not the future or the past.

look at it like food, i love food and spend alot of money on it. for what? 30 minutes of enjoyment and by the next day its gone, or going to the movies or a theme park, you spend a lot o time and money going, at the end of the day its all over.

do it for the memories, the relationship may end, the memories will last forever

IMHO and not to be rude, but this way of thinking is a crappy way to think

Silatuyok

gotta live for the moment not the future or the past.

look at it like food, i love food and spend alot of money on it. for what? 30 minutes of enjoyment and by the next day its gone, or going to the movies or a theme park, you spend a lot o time and money going, at the end of the day its all over.

do it for the memories, the relationship may end, the memories will last forever

IMHO and not to be rude, but this way of thinking is a crappy way to think

What this person said.

razzle dazzle rose

It is true, nothing lasts forever, but that is not the point. There are different people for different phases in our life. Some friends stay, some don't. Relationships are super important though, and they are meaningful. And with this thing called Facebook, you never really get to lose touch with people anymore. Don't talk yourself out of making friendships.

At least one can choose his friends. Family is almost an obligatory unbearable load many times. Seriously, I hate some of my own relatives.

LazyHermitCrab

If you're able to be find something real, it's worth it :) Some people.... i'd never want to waste time with with. It's like some have no depth at all and just care about themselves and/or bringing down others is considered fun for them

Kiwong

Good relationships are life savers, bad relationships can damage you.

I think good relationships are well worth the effort even though they might be temporary. Good relationships help make getting through life a lot more pleasant.

NP88

Social Interaction is to be enjoyed for the moment. The problem people suffering from SA have is that it is not often an enjoyable experience. Pretty much the mantra of an enjoyable life as generic as it is : Live life for the moment.

my reasoning is just the opposite

because relationships ARE so temporary

you don't have to worry so much about what happens

just relax and engage with people and see what develops

the worst thing that could happen is that the relationship ends - but you already know that's going to happen at some point anyway right?

so why sweat it?

Been some time not being here. The Coyote has still got the right ideas. The main idea is don't worry so much. Simple.

Csea88

I feel the same way sometimes, I don't feel the need to form close relationships, my reasoning being I'm agoraphobic and I don't trust easily/leave the house, but I also know that you have only 1 life to live and that's it. so some things fleeting as they may be, need to happen because as cliche as it sounds living life while you have it in you to do so is important, you only get once chance to live. Try to make it count...I'm trying, it's not easy...but I have to try.

Conspiracy

nuuuuuuuuuuuuu
It is better to have loved than to never have loved at all? :eek:
or
"If someone can love you once, that just means someone can love you again!" - Homer Simpson
xD