Some Tips?

Gamesta

Anyone got some tips for soemone who cares too much about what others think, and doesn't want to see a shrink or take medication. I only talk to my friends because I don't care what they think, but other poeple it's too hard to talk to because I care about what people I don't know think about me. =( Sorta like "All Eyez on Me"

shep

Gamesta, I think you are going about this in the right way. Meds, in my opinion, require careful consideration. Many people take medication as readily as M&M's. They fulfill an important role for those who truly need them but other avenues should be explored first.

annie

I with shep on this one regarding the medication.
Doctors are prescribing them like they are going out of fashion.

annie

jaded_blonde

Most cognitive therapists don't prescribe medication if you dont want to take it, however psychologists usually try to fix things just through medication and not by changing the way you think. So you could try to find a cognitive therapist especially for social anxiety.
I have just recently started going to a therapist and one technique I have used to stop the "ANTS" Automatic Negative Thoughts of what people think of you is to put a rubber band on your wrist and when you notice one of those thoughts of people judging you or thinking badly about yourself just lightly flick (don't slap it hard) the rubber band and think to yourself "STOP, chances are they don't care about what I am doing" or "they're thinking about something else" whatever you want to say to stop that negative thought. I have used this and it really does work. I know it may sound dumb at first but once you notice those negative thoughts you can learn to stop them and having the rubber band on your wrist constantly reminds you to notice the negative thoughts and to stop them

Yossarian

Personally if I can, I ask myself what type of person are they? The only people whose opinions I should care about are kind and considerate people. i.e. the sort who would judge me too harshly. Those that do judge me harshly I try to remind myself are not nice people so I shouldn't care what they think. Sometimes this helps but not as often as I would like obviously.