Something wrong but not sure what

downhill

Hi everyone - here's my story..

I'm 24..and lately I've stopped wanting to go out with friends because everytime I do I feel that my input to the occasion is inadequate and I feel out of place being there and people wouldn't really notice if I was there or not..I see them all having a good time and I'm feeling tense and awkward and like I just want to be back at home. I've had a few bad experiences, one example is when my friends girlfriend met me for the first time she decided to highlight my flaws and launched into a 40 minute attack on my personality and overall appearance. Im told I'm a good looking guy and I am always smart and polite with people I meet so that attack on me was totally unjustified and hurtful - it got me down so much that I ended up going home in the middle of that night and I've not wanted to go out since.

I make excuses to avoid going out and social interaction - I much prefer being at home where bad things cant happen because im in control. When I do have to go out to places e.g supermarket I feel angry with the total strangers in there for no reason at all and I always feel the sooner I'm back home the better.

I feel much better if im in a place on my own where people can't see me if that makes any sense! But on the other hand I am quite happy and feel fine to have people round at my house - I prefer that to going out to a public place with them or to their house - thats where I start to feel uncomfortable.

I sometimes have mood swings between depression and feeling happy and generally cant sleep properly. I feel when I talk to people they think im stupid or uninteresting.

I do have a job which I do 5 days a week and I interact well with all the people there and have made friends, I feel totally fine at work so I just dont know whats wrong with me at all

Any comments welcomed!

rado31

this sound like its some kind of bipolar (which in my case became severe and cyclic , hope you are not on that way).

Stick your mind to the areas where are you good at , thatshow u will toughen yourself.

Primrose

Hey, totally relate. I've battled with similar problems for years. I'm okay if I have someone to talk to - to distract the attention away from me, but when I'm on my own I feel awful. I almost feel as if I should be apologising for being there. I can never say the right thing, am usually left on my own whilst other friends get chatted up by guys etc. My awkwardness is letting me down. Ugh.

Infected_Malignity

downhill said:
Hi everyone - here's my story..

I'm 24..and lately I've stopped wanting to go out with friends because everytime I do I feel that my input to the occasion is inadequate and I feel out of place being there and people wouldn't really notice if I was there or not..I see them all having a good time and I'm feeling tense and awkward and like I just want to be back at home. I've had a few bad experiences, one example is when my friends girlfriend met me for the first time she decided to highlight my flaws and launched into a 40 minute attack on my personality and overall appearance. Im told I'm a good looking guy and I am always smart and polite with people I meet so that attack on me was totally unjustified and hurtful - it got me down so much that I ended up going home in the middle of that night and I've not wanted to go out since.

I make excuses to avoid going out and social interaction - I much prefer being at home where bad things cant happen because im in control. When I do have to go out to places e.g supermarket I feel angry with the total strangers in there for no reason at all and I always feel the sooner I'm back home the better.

I feel much better if im in a place on my own where people can't see me if that makes any sense! But on the other hand I am quite happy and feel fine to have people round at my house - I prefer that to going out to a public place with them or to their house - thats where I start to feel uncomfortable.

I sometimes have mood swings between depression and feeling happy and generally cant sleep properly. I feel when I talk to people they think im stupid or uninteresting.

I do have a job which I do 5 days a week and I interact well with all the people there and have made friends, I feel totally fine at work so I just dont know whats wrong with me at all

Any comments welcomed!

Aww man... that sucks. Don't let people scare you with talk of being bi-polar, because I highly doubt that's the case. Sounds to me like she really got to you. You probably hadn't been confronted like this before, so it comes as a shock - and you have every right to feel angry/sad about it.

But let me tell you something right now - anybody who criticizes the way another person lives is an absolute moron, snob and a bitch. You were probably polite during the entirety of her '40 minute attack', but maybe next time somebody tries to start something with you, let them know off the bat that you're happy with yourself and you don't need to be chewed out.

You're probably thinking negatively because you have no idea why anybody would do something like this to you, and you're afraid somebody might do it again. But I promise you that since you've gotten through the 'initial burn', next time won't be nearly as bad. Just realize there's a ton of cool people in this world, and a handful of insecure bitches like your friend's girl thrown in just to make it interesting. Just disassociate yourself with this crowd, and try to realize that she's the one with the problem, not you.