Speech for english...

Rise Against

I have to give a 10 minute speech in front of my class in English next week. Usually i can stay calm and can say my speech, but last year i had a panic attack in front of my class. That was by far the most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to me. Now i am kind of stressing out about this speech... I hate speeches.

NormanBates

Write a good speech so your panic attack doesn't drag your grade down much.
Make it really interesting. Say as much as you can with as moderate amount of words as possible.

Boon

Banned
Be prepared for your presentation, and practice, practice, and practice! Have lots of material to go through and you'll be preoccupied with that. Make sure you know what you're talking about. Use a power point presentation if you are allowed too since people will be distracted looking at that and not you. Look at the back wall if eye contact is a problem. Also get exercise as it will help reduce anxiety.

Qoo

When I speak in front of other people , just smile and don't care about what they think.
It help me a lot;)

Rise Against

Write a good speech so your panic attack doesn't drag your grade down much.
Make it really interesting. Say as much as you can with as moderate amount of words as possible.

Last time the panic attack worked to my advantage. The teacher felt sorry for me and gave me an A, even though i forgot my entire speech. lol. I dont think ill have a panic attack because its only happened once before but im still worried about it.

Morgan01

Probably the more familiar you are with your speech the better you will feel about presenting it. goodluck!

NormanBates

Last time the panic attack worked to my advantage. The teacher felt sorry for me and gave me an A, even though i forgot my entire speech. lol. I dont think ill have a panic attack because its only happened once before but im still worried about it.

Wow lucky break there.
My last speech - the teacher thought was a interesting topic and well documented. But my problems were due to saying 'um' too many times and looking at my notes too many times.
I got a B+

DaaaBulls

I feel for ya. I never really had too much of a problem with speeches until last year. I had this one in front of my english class and I must have taken 10 .25 mg xanax's before hand and I barely got through it. Then at the end of the term which was a a couple weeks later all we had to do was give a 30 second speech about what we learned from the class and I had my first panick attack during a speech. My voice started trembling, my face got so red I could feel it burning, my hands started to drench my paper with my speech on it, I started to talk faster and could feel everyone's eyes on me. That wasn't fun, especially since we had to stand in the front while the rest of our group members spoke so I had to stand there for another few minutes.

Just do the best you can, do it thinking you are doing it to achieve your own goals and not to impress anyone.

gsmax5

If you don't get any sleep the night before the presentation, you will definitely think less about your performance.

This is a really bad idea, but it works.

Rise Against

I think i know what im going to do, and i do NOT advise this... ill take a double dose of adderall. It makes me very confident and somewhat outgoing. Ive only done this a couple times but it helps the SA a lot.

roseycheeks

hey, i feel for ya. had to do a 15min speech last night and was SO stressed about it (Was losing sleep, constant anxiety etc).

so a few tips:
If you have the option to use powerpoint, then do. it really helps take the focus off yourself.

practice the speech on a friend / family member.. even though its not the same as a class full of people.. it really does help.

when preparing your speech, focus on the content.. so that even if your delivery on the day is a little under par you will atleast have shown understanding in yoru ideas (again, really helpful if you can have visual aids).

also, believe in yourself. its YOUR 10mins, dont rush. the audience has to listen to you and what you have to say.

and one last thing.. try and refrain from reading word for word... because in the end you become too focsued on 'sounding right' and saying things in the 'right' order.. and because you invest so much time and energy and worry into things going 'right' .. you lose track and it ****s with your natural flow..
duno if that makes sense, kinda hard to explain .. but i've found taht trying to let go of that idea really helps.

best of luck to you ~