"spot-mode" = ocd?

So basically, I've had some traits of ocd for a while. Pure compulsions like excessive skin-picking, etc.... but as of the last year or so, from time to time I go into this thing, usually after focusing on something up close, and it's almost like I get "stuck" looking at minute details on things. Usually discolorations aka "spots". I'm not seeing spots that don't exist, but rather, focusing on tiny tiny spots that do exist and not being able to stop focusing on them. It makes life difficult when I am in "spot mode" as I call it. It's like, I can't look someone in the eye, I focus on the freckles on their face. And then, when I do look at their eye, I'm doing just that, looking AT one of their eyes, not making eye contact. Does this sound like an ocd thing to you guys? Anyone else experienced this? I've asked my old psych dr and he isn't familiar with it, and I'm not really pulling up any info on it online... so I came here.
Thanks for your time!

edit: it usually lasts until I take a nap, luckily I haven't had a job in a while but I am back in beauty school and it makes that hard, I need to find out what this is and how to treat it before I get a job. It happens about once a week, sometimes more sometimes less. Sometimes more than once in a day. It seems like if I think about it, I get it.
edit edit: I also get impulses to hurt people, even though I don't want to, and I start to panic, afraid that I will lose control and act on it. But I am pretty much already certain this is an OCD thing, spot mode is more of a mystery to me.

Last edited:

getbornagain

It is natural for an OCD-mind to be preoccupied with useless bullshit. I know you've probably heard this before, but it's simply a subjective response to a situation. You NEED to learn to not give a shit about the minute details of what you're starring at. You're pixelizing things because you're expecting to pixelize them.

It's basically like the old scenario: Tell yourself to NOT think of a red ball and you will struggle to not think of a red ball. In your case you are sensitive to NOT thinking of 'spot-mode' and you wind up thinking about it. This is has become a subconcious response because you've let it get out of control.