Strange things YOU have or still do because of SA

Zarrix

I got this topic from another Support forum, I thought it would be a good Idea to start here XD.

*I have more conversations with myself, spoken or in mind than anyone else put together. I like to talk to myself in bed sometimes, how fucking weird is that?

* Sometimes if other people around, I will grab my phone as if I had a message. This message doesn't exist and I'm randomly pressing buttons to ease the nerves somewhat

*If I see someone I know in a shopping centre or other place (EXCEPT my closest friends), I will literally start to stare down at the floor, quickly get away and watch out for the person while very quickly get what I need and after that not hesitating to get the fuck out of the place.

de

yeah if ive been in any social situation in work ill run that situation through my head later when im in bed and actually relive the scene and saying my parts in the conversation and then curseing quite loud for saying whatever i had said my brother is in the room next to me and finds it fucking hilarious because he thinks im talking in my sleep
i do the texting thing as well lol and if i see somebody i know before they see me ill instantly put the head down or find somewhere i can hide behind till they have passed,
also i have to ahve my ipod when im going on the team bus to and from matchs (compulsary to go on the bus) not to listen to, put to pretend to listen to ,so i acn hear if they are talking about me

coriander1992

I talk to animals quite a lot...even model ones :oops:

I spend a lot of money on internet shopping!

I totally avoid people I know if I see them when i'm out, like you do.

I join millions of online forums!

Can't think of anymore right now, other than the usual SA things :wink:

ghost_train

Zarrix said:
I got this topic from another Support forum, I thought it would be a good Idea to start here XD.

*I have more conversations with myself, spoken or in mind than anyone else put together. I like to talk to myself in bed sometimes, how fucking weird is that?

* Sometimes if other people around, I will grab my phone as if I had a message. This message doesn't exist and I'm randomly pressing buttons to ease the nerves somewhat

*If I see someone I know in a shopping centre or other place (EXCEPT my closest friends), I will literally start to stare down at the floor, quickly get away and watch out for the person while very quickly get what I need and after that not hesitating to get the fuck out of the place.

*ditto
*ditto
*sometimes worse than others- I often take myself by surprise as to how I react- one way or the other

blonderedhead

^ talking to animals....awww thats cute! lol
I talk to myself more than anyone I know as well and I NEED a book. I just recently noticed that I absolutely CANNOT leave the house unless I have a book with me (even to like get the mail or something). Because when I'm in an anxious situation I always pull a book out to calm my nerves a bit. It's weird.

Ken

I also have alot of conversations with myself, and if no one is around i'll often have these conversations out loud.

4seasons

-I talk to myself.
-Whenever I walk past someone in a narrow hall way or on a side walk if just me and that person I always look at the ground and walk faster until i pass them.
-Every morning when I go into work I look in the mirror to make sure my hair isn't messy as fuck and make sure i don't have any toothpaste on my mouth or anything(could this be an OCD symptom?)
-When I post messages on message boards I re-read them 2 or 3 times before I post them and think weather or not i should post them, I'll do the same for this one and a lot of the time I'll just not post them. I'm just afraid of saying stupid or immature things.
-I don't know if this really "weird" but when I'm in public I cannot speak up, like if I talk people can barely hear me and often have to think for a second before they can answer me.
-I also cannot laugh out loud I always laugh silently.

This is all stuff i have a problem with now, and my anxiety is actually getting better. When i was in high school this list would of been way bigger....Theres probably some other stuff I'll think of later to.

coriander1992

blonderedhead said:
^ talking to animals....awww thats cute! lol
I talk to myself more than anyone I know as well and I NEED a book. I just recently noticed that I absolutely CANNOT leave the house unless I have a book with me (even to like get the mail or something). Because when I'm in an anxious situation I always pull a book out to calm my nerves a bit. It's weird.

That's quite a good idea!
Might have to try carrying a book around with me now :lol:

sidney

i mostly stare at peoples cheeks instead of their eyes cus i find it hard to make eye contact sometimes, only sometimes though, thankfully

Broken_Memory

I definitely talk - er, whisper- to myself, pretty much all the time. I like... share my thoughts/plans/experiences with the room I'm in lol. Or if I stop to sit in a forested area then I'll talk there too, which is great because no humans are around.

Other than that, I hide in public washrooms if I need to.

Blonderedhead, I have that same thing with the book too. I HAVE TO HAVE TO HAVE TO (lol) bring a book everywhere I go. Even just for a little dog walk or something. Whenever I am out and I realize I've forgotten a book, my stomach drops and I think "oh shoot! Argh, its too late to go back. Damnit!" and then I have to face the day without it. I love being able to hide in a book. Its a great way to send people an "I don't want to talk!"message, which isn't always a good thing but it keeps me safe from the heaven forbid-making a fool of myself in conversation.

Zarrix

dottie said:
< worst eye contact ever

yep, especially around younger women.

Heres a few more
*If I go and see a movie or watch a TV show, I never reveal the plot details, or sometimes even the name of the movie I saw to my parents and other people if they ask, exceptions are my closest mates

*When typing on a message board or MSN, I always mind-'scan' the message before I press the send key, obsessing over how others will respond.

*If other people begin to watch me at work, no matter who it is (albeit some a lot worse than others), I begin to lose the plot and completely fuck up. For example, I put cooked chicken back into a flower tub once -_-.

ghost_train

to be fair (to everyone in this forum), I think things like pretend-texting and, most likely, talking/whispering to yourself are 'normal' things. (I've never verified the second one- that may have to involve a hidden camera and the 'bending' of privacy laws.

I think we naturally tend to interpret our actions as stranger than perhaps they are. Who knows what extroverted people are really like within themselves- all we see is what they portray.

shon

* I talk to myself...especially if I'm mad about something.

* When I'm sitting at a stop light, I continuously change the radio station or play w/ my phone to look busy. Sometimes I do it to distract myself.

* I avoid eye contact w/ most people

* I also don't speak loud enough.

* I'm always writing things on message boards, then deleting it!

CPA23

I do just about all the things you guys said. Anytime I'm in public, such as a getting my oil change, being in a waiting room, waiting to do anything. I always have to pretend like I'm texting because I cannot stand being "out in the open."

I am getting better with the eye contact thing. I do have a few questions.

1). When someone is telling you a story or something that happened, do you look at them the whole time. I find this very difficult because I always feel like I'm staring at them.
2). When you tell someone a story (rare occasion for us!), do you hold eye contact the whole time, or do you look off during random periods.

P.S. I also find it very difficult to make eye contact with someone in close proximity. I just feel like I'm violating them. I am getting better though!!

princess_haru

Woah, I can relate to pretty much everything in this thread!

I do the talking to myself thing a lot - sometimes out loud (if I'm sure I'm alone) but mostly in my head. I have a constant internal monologue going and it's impossible to switch it off. My boyfriend thinks that's really strange as he claims he can just turn his thoughts off whenever he wants to! :?

The pretending to text thing? Yep, I do that too. If I'm feeling awkward and have nothing to do with my hands I'll get my phone out of my bag and fiddle about with it, pretending to write a text. If I'm out in public and don't have something to focus on I start to feel panicky.

Broken_Memory mentioned hiding in bathrooms, which I've done a lot. I used to get out of PE classes at school by pretending I had a music lesson (these sometimes clashed with other lessons) and then hiding out in the loos for an hour.

I talk to animals a lot, but I think a lot of non-SA people do that too. My brother used to talk to a hedge in the school playground when he was little, which probably isn't so common lol.

I don't tend to carry a book around with me, but I'm obsessively fond of books and have a few which I've had since I was little that I view as old friends :)

When I'm nervous I hum to myself or sing quietly because it soothes me.

CPA23 said:
I am getting better with the eye contact thing. I do have a few questions.

1). When someone is telling you a story or something that happened, do you look at them the whole time. I find this very difficult because I always feel like I'm staring at them.
2). When you tell someone a story (rare occasion for us!), do you hold eye contact the whole time, or do you look off during random periods.

1. Hmm... this one gets to me too. It's why I prefer sitting next to someone rather than opposite them - less eye contact necessary! I feel that not looking at someone while they're talking is rude, as if you're not paying attention, but I still feel awkward looking at them the whole time. Usually I compromise by looking in their general direction while not staring directly at them, and trying to stay quiet and non-fidgety so they know I'm not distracted.

2. When I'm the one who's talking I try to keep a balance between looking at people and looking away. It's probably best to maintain lots of eye contact for an interview or presentation (gah, I shudder at the thought!!) but for a casual conversation I think it's fine to look away for periods of time.

I've always felt like everyone but me knew this stuff instinctively, but it's obviously a common problem for people with SA. Wow, I don't feel as inadequate now I know I'm not the only one, lol! Maybe most people learn this stuff as children, but we were all too busy worrying and focusing on ourselves to pick it up!? Sometimes I wish I could go back to my early childhood and just start again :roll:

IceLad

If I don't have any comfortable pockets to put my hands in (usually when I don't have a coat), I have to have something to carry in at least one hand e.g. packet of mints.