Student doing project. What do you want the world to know?

Student

My name is Jessica. I am a student at a Canadian University. I am doing a presentation on social phobia/anxiety. i was wondering if anybody had any ideas of what my classmates should know about this disorder. how to deal with it, maybe some personal stories, something that you want the world to know about the disorder. please e-mail me or respond to this posting. thank-you for your help.

Jessica
[email protected]

SnackleZ

Living with SA is a very difficult life...
Most people live their life without any/many friends because of the fear of talking to others, fear of judgement, fear of not fitting in. That is why ones who have SA keep to themselves most of the time. They enjoy working by themselves, instead of in teams.

Quite honestly, it's hell. I can't stand seeing others go about their daily life, pretty much doing whatever they want to and not caring, then I decide that I want to do something, but turn myself against it because of fear of being judged. "That guy's stupid." "Why is he so stupid?" "I wish he'd go kill himself." These are just a few things that run through my head before I decide to do something... it can be as simple as getting out of my chair to throw away some trash, or it can be as drastic as showing off in the middle of class. I have a special talent for making everyone laugh at most of the things I say, and yet, I feel that someone doesn't like what I do and runs those questions through their head. That disturbs me greatly.

All in all, SA demands respect from EVERYONE. If you can't get it, then you keep to yourself and make every move you can to avoid social situations... things as simple as shopping at Wal Mart can feel as bad as a death in the family.

Hellraising

This is where I get all angsty.

I want the world to know that it sucks. It's beyond cruel. It hurts humans, animals and mother nature. The world should have never existed, or at least, it should stop existing now. There is too much corruption. Evilness is too rampant. There is too much pain. It has to stop. Now.

scaredycat

Ask people to think about their worst fears or phobia. I laugh about people having snake, bug, etc. phobia - just stay away from them. My phobia is people and I don't want to stay away from them.
It's like if a person has a phobia of snakes and has to handle them many times every day and no screaming, cringing or crying is aloud. Just look normal like everything is just wonderful! 8O

Hurricane

SAD often goes along with suicidal thoughts...so yes it's HELL, picture yourself avoiding people u used to know just because you are afraid of how they'll think about you, people u used to get along with very well...now you are afraid of them, u can't stand being in the open, u are afraid going into a shop, asking for the things u need in that shop...I dropped out of college just because of my SAD, I always started hyperventilating when I had to say something in class...some people might say: "just get over it and do whatever you want" but that's like saying: "just get over your cancer and be healthy"

maggie

hi Jessica....good luck with your presentation...a presentation...yikes :x ...that is something i could never do....ever....that's just one example of something that makes me feel anxious...i dropped out of a Canadian college cause i couldn't even stand the thought of introducing myself at beginning of course....much less socialize, talk in class, work closely with others.....it has really limited my life...a few more things that cause me anxiety and stress....work, getting gas, grocery shopping, driving, talking on the phone, going into the bank 8O , relationships, family gatherings, ..... pretty much most shit people have to deal with on a daily basis.....and the hard part is watching others do these things and not even think twice or stress about it...it's really frustrating :evil: ...so, anyway.....something i would like others to know about us is.....just because we are quiet...avoid certain situations....don't look comfortable socially....doesn't mean we are stupid!!...in fact, most of the people on this site seem to be the most kind, sensitive, intelligent, forgiving people i have ever "met"...and it's hard when most of the world is pretty uneducated about social anxiety...and tend to either make fun of us...or just have no idea what it's like to live with it.

JJenny

Hi Jessica
It is a very debilitating disease or should I say dis-ease :) I felt as if I was an alien in the world, a part of me wanting acceptance and another part of me needing to retreat and protect myself . It is very lonely as you find that you are in a low minority of the population. It's a hidden dis-ease since you feel you don't fit in with the majority the patterns of protecting self and avoidance become rewards, and so on. It's a shameful thing, so the shame within breeds more shame. It's often people talk about phobias etc being irrational and they overcome them. With social anxiety because there can be a feedback about your behaviour, or your blushing from others it seems that the fears ARE rational and the world is not a safe place....so avoidance is justified. It gathers so much fear to itself on it's journey through our lives. It is like a cancer invading more and more situations in our lives, eating up self worth with every bite, and taking our time away from us, limiting our choices. It breeds so much bottled up unchannelled emotion that I feel panic attacks and other signs of inbalance started manifesting in me. Anger eruptions, tearful episodes, depression cycling and you can feel like you're going insane. The core of the problem becomes secondary to the symptoms, you live in survival mode. It is very tiring and takes on a life of it's own playing a role so powerful.
I'm am in recovery now so expressing this is easier for me than it would have been a few weeks ago. I think this kind of forum is excellant. People need to know they are not alone. I thought I was the only one with it for 20 years make that 30. I sit back and look at the letters on the forum, I have compassion for all here and that is part of the flip side, most are very sensitive souls. And looking through a detached view at the boards it reminds me of those scenes of people living in a pit of hell, screaming to get out but now knowing how, and the pain seems eternal. The more accepted by ourselves first that these phobias, anxieties, states of being the quicker I believe we will overcome them rather and integrate into the world. It's been a very much painful separation from the world but actually I believe this is my greatest gift to have experienced.
Jenny x

Fredscars

I think its also important to higfhlight that it can affect anybody and in different degrees: Such as some on here can't leave the house, others can go out but can't communicate. etc..

Another point is that we all have different symptoms of it. Some have anxiety attacks, some don't...not everyone on here has depression/suicidal tendencies and so on.
hope thats some help :)
Go out and broaden their minds, and good luck.