Suicide not the answer? Why not?

chris420

Suicide is the result of underlying mental problems. Nothing else. Anyone who is weighing up the pros and cons of suicide or justifying it through a philosophical stance is truly kidding themselves as human nature is to stay alive, at all costs. It is truly the extreme end of a psychological problem, and societal conditioning has a lot to do with it.

Lea said:
Yes, why so serious? I think everybody here has some philosophy and world view, if its right or wrong, who can judge? That´s why people discuss together to share their views, argue about it etc. If only one view was allowed, or things that are allowed to say and others not, it would not be any discussion.

Yes but people here are mixing their emotions with reasoned arguments, and that is damaging not only for themselves (i.e. chatting here about suicide like it's a justified thing to do=normalizing it) but for people reading who may be influenced by it also.

Doomed2Die

chris420 said:
Suicide is the result of underlying mental problems. Nothing else. Anyone who is weighing up the pros and cons of suicide or justifying it through a philosophical stance is truly kidding themselves as human nature is to stay alive, at all costs. It is truly the extreme end of a psychological problem, and societal conditioning has a lot to do with it.

Precisely!

VioletTears

Some of these responses really lack empathy and understanding...

None of us are qualified to tell SOMEONE ELSE what THEIR emotional tipping point should (or shouldn't) be. It's a bit like telling someone, "I got an A in my statistics class so everyone else should be able to, too." Our brains aren't all the same and neither are our experiences.

Also, just because a part of someone wants to live doesn't mean that another part of them can't genuinely want to die... Some of us wrestle with those two dueling aspects of ourselves every day.

Lea

Banned
I don´t want to seem like imposing my views on someone, but I just can´t recommend enough the book Road less Travelled from M. S. Peck. It is so great, it´s got everything. But you have to read it first to see what I mean...

My view is, that we are not here on earth to enjoy ourselves, but to develop spiritually, to learn. Life is not and shouldn´t be easy, it is pain. The solution is not attempt to get rid of that pain, but go through it. Those who are able to suffer most are also those who live most. Pain is life and life is pain, death is no pain but no life either. Anyway I enjoyed my narkose once, really nice not to know nothing but now I´m alive and it is probably supposed to be, so I´m just going through the suffering and try to carry on with my duties. But I admit that sometimes the suffering is unbearable and I think of suicide every minute. I know that it is not right but feel that I got into so much shit and that it will never be reparable. Maybe it would be theoretically, but I think of myself that I am so much of an idiot I will never be able to accomplish it.

And I know suicide is not a solution because there is afterlife, or better said, this material world is kind of illusion, and when we die there will not be nothing, there will be another reality. I say this because I have experienced these things..

Marie_knowsbestt

couldnt agree more with lea, and the others who said kien would of done it by now. life is supposed to be hard, or it would be boring if it was always nice and happy. were hapy coz ah theres no shit in my life like normal, without the shit u cant be happy.

so on that note, can we stop talking abot death? lol

mesc000

I've thought about suicide, not about doing it to myself though because its just so distasteful to me. As depressed, angry and alone as I feel, there is always a greater disgust at the thought of falling out in this tremendously sad way.

Sometimes I think about suicide as a way of making me important, making me visible and its my last fuck you to everyone. But everytime I go down that path, there is this automatic shift to the other side... I start thinking about my family and how I haven't lived my life yet and that there is still time. Always, time and time again, everytime I think about suicide, I always come back to that line of thinking and it makes me angry to even have considered ending my life.

kell8868

Hi

This is my first post. I am probably the oldest poster here having had Social Phobia for almost 40 years since before it was even a recognized disorder. So I speak from the voice of experience, if nothing else.

I believe suicide might be a very valid solution for some people. Also that it is your decision and your life, NOT your family's. However at 17 (or 20 or 25) there is NO WAY FOR YOU TO KNOW FOR SURE THAT YOUR LIFE IS NOT WORTH LIVING. Try other things first. Put your self out there Seek professional help. There may be a stigma to it but suicide is forever

If 10 or 15 years from now you feel the same way then suicide might well be the answer for you. But Don't do it now. GIVE yourself every opportunity first. There are no second chances with suicide.

Kien

This is what I hate about suicide. It's like a bomb, everyone goes crazy. I'm not sure what happens after death which scares me away and I don't know any good method for doing it. Bleeding hurts a hellova lot more than I ever thought.

strawberrybrunette

Doomed2Die wrote:
Have you no respect for life? You would so easily condone the murder of someone? All life has potiential for healing mentally, to move past their time of depression and pain, to kill this is to murder that potential and there for... life. Depression blinds all hope and can lead to suicide, but it is through having no true respect for themselves or others that it is considered.

My belief does not stem from a lack of respect for life. I love my family and friends and care for them. I am a nature lover - i love animals, have loads of pets. I understand what it is to grieve for loved ones, and i really do appreciate and respect life. All i am really saying is that humans are lucky in that if we've "had enough", so to speak, we can commit suicide. A life should not be one of pointless martrydom! If you are sick of your life, why shouldn't you be able to end it - it is a human right, in a way.

I would not condone murder - under no circumstance. But suicide is not murder. How can you murder yourself? The concept of "self-murder" seems completely condradictory to me.

As for people who commit suicide having no self-respect - i'm afraid i do not agree. It's easy to have narrow-minded attitude to suicide, but you must remember that there are countless circumstances that could lead to wanting to die. Saying that all people who commit suicide have no self respect is the same as saying all people who get into debt do so because they can't hold down a job, or something.

kyle

Banned
I don't think it's really fair to the people who have battled suicidal feelings in the past to be bombarded by certtain individuals who are trying to convince them that suicide is the answer to your problems. If you are suicidal, go get help. Don't come on a internet forum and tell us that it's a solution to our problems.

dpr

chris420 said:
Suicide is the result of underlying mental problems. Nothing else. Anyone who is weighing up the pros and cons of suicide or justifying it through a philosophical stance is truly kidding themselves as human nature is to stay alive, at all costs.

Well I don't know. I could picture choosing to end my own life if, say I had a terminal illness. I don't think I would want to continue to live through the pain. I would probably just off myself.

I can also see how to some people, depression (whether chronic acute whatever) can be likened to a terminal illness. Obviously, people can be treated and depression can in fact be "cured" for lack of a better word, but as we all know, part of the depression is our brain telling ourselves that there is no hope. To many people, it IS a terminal illness (according to their perception of their own future).

Of course it is silly to suggest suicide as an intelligent option for ending one's depression. But it is an option. I feel sorry for those of my friends/family who have taken that route. And it kind of makes me sick a little bit. That they couldn't have found the strength to pull through. But it's not really for me to judge their decision. I understand the "why" of it, for sure.

striker

- Work on Changing your circumstances
Go to a new place. New city or even a new country
Ex: I have traveled quite a bit on my job and stayed at places for more
than 6 months. Some environments I had really bad social anxiety
while at other places it wasnt so bad.

- Work on your health
The way you feel has a lot to do with your state of health.
Other than allopathy (western medicine) there are other systems with
viable alternatives. Explore these.
Make this your Primary goal. ie to Get healthy.

- Work on your belief system
Strong belief in self.
(Positive Affirmations, Positive thinking, )
Take negative beliefs out of your life. you will be surprised how negative hides beneath the surface.

- Meditation is a powerful tool. Use it. If nothing it will take you a place of no mind. Where thoughts don't exist. Complete Peace. The inner universe will open up.
* send me an IM if you want to learn to Meditate. I would be glad to point you to right resources.

Marie_knowsbestt

yes meditation is a very powerful tool. buddhism teaches us that our thoughts are illusions, and meditation, because its the idea of a complete silent mind, dissolves these illusions, revealing the true self. a place where want a disire do do exist, we our selfs merely exist.

i have tried it a few times my self, and have studied buddism, could help alot of you at witts end, but i do no that when my mind had become completely clear, the sense of peace was amazing.

chris420

dpr said:
chris420 said:
Suicide is the result of underlying mental problems. Nothing else. Anyone who is weighing up the pros and cons of suicide or justifying it through a philosophical stance is truly kidding themselves as human nature is to stay alive, at all costs.

Well I don't know. I could picture choosing to end my own life if, say I had a terminal illness. I don't think I would want to continue to live through the pain. I would probably just off myself.

I can also see how to some people, depression (whether chronic acute whatever) can be likened to a terminal illness. Obviously, people can be treated and depression can in fact be "cured" for lack of a better word, but as we all know, part of the depression is our brain telling ourselves that there is no hope. To many people, it IS a terminal illness (according to their perception of their own future).

Of course it is silly to suggest suicide as an intelligent option for ending one's depression. But it is an option. I feel sorry for those of my friends/family who have taken that route. And it kind of makes me sick a little bit. That they couldn't have found the strength to pull through. But it's not really for me to judge their decision. I understand the "why" of it, for sure.

Nice post. If someone chooses to kill themselves in case of a terminal illness it is after careful, rational consideration based on hopeless circumstances, whereas suicide where freedom of choice, health, etc remains has to be irrational...

It all comes down to perception for sure.trouble with depression is it obscures perception so objectivity is down to a minimum. No-one is totally objective of course (not even the terminally-ill patient, making that decision) but a depressed person is probably seeing far, far less of how things really are than the average person, so they are in a terrible position to make any kind of decision, let alone whether to end their own life.

chris420

strawberrybrunette said:
I would not condone murder - under no circumstance. But suicide is not murder. How can you murder yourself? The concept of "self-murder" seems completely condradictory to me.

I disagree...you, that is your essential being, would not decide to commit suicide like certain cells in the body do when it is necessary....suicide is murder committed by the ego, on the whole self.

PlaceboEffect

Haha I have to laugh at you all who think about suicide!

I can't help but laugh at such weakness.

Because if you like it or not, suicide is a weak weak thing to do.

See, what you don't understand is that AT ALL TIMES you have the power to change.
You can change right now as you are reading these words. It's just that you haven't truly realized it yet.

Whatever the situation there is always a solution. ALWAYS. Sometimes the solution has to come from within and sometimes from without. What does this mean?

It means that sometimes all you have to do is to change the way you look at things and notice how the things you look at change automatically after that. And other times you have to seek help from professionals, or on the internet, or in books...

And this is nor good nor bad - it is what it is. But never ever forget that you are in charge of your life.

Do you feel bad feelings right now? Have you felt them today? Snap out of them and ask yourself if it's possible that there is a reason behind bad emotions.

What if bad emotions are trying to tell you that the situation you are in right now isn't what you wish from life? It's a SIGNAL. It's your mind trying to tell you to DO SOMETHING.

Change your life situation... Are you afraid of talking to people?
I was.. And let me tell you, I've changed it BY ACTION. I've approached hundreds and hundreds of people and talked to them and I've desensitized myself to feelings that I've been feeling. I was sweating and blushing and I was afraid as if I was to die. But I've pushed through it and now I'm able to go out and enjoy meeting new people.

Do you feel you're wasting your life? Well.. STOP WASTING IT. Go on a trip... Make money... Do stupid things. Enjoy yourself. Go to that girl and make a fool of yourself. I did and this is why my life is improving with each day.

And girls.. You have no excuses.. Go and do the same.. Go to that boy and embarass yourself.
Understand that we learn from everything and by action we improve our lives.

If only you knew that you have the power to do whatever you want you'd notice that all suicidal thoughts would just melt away.

Really, you are the sole creator of your life. See, sometimes I look around and all I see are people who are waiting for something to happen and miraculously change their life.

GUESS WHAT?

Nothing will ever happen because if you won't do something, no one is gonna do it for you. Take charge of your life. Now is the time.

Not tomorrow or the day after but NOW as you finish reading this post.

Think about all the amazing things that are waiting for you in the future.. Think about how could you start looking at the world through a totally different perspective. Think about what would you do if you absolutely knew that you'll achieve all you've ever wanted.

And think about how stupid and silly are those thoughts about suicide...

Because the truth is, you don't want to run away from life, YOU WANT TO CONQUER IT.

Gone

PlaceboEffect said:

I can't help but laugh at your weak logic.
Like it or not, laughing at suicidal people makes your opinion worth shit.

kyle

Banned
Gone said:
PlaceboEffect said:

I can't help but laugh at your weak logic.
Like it or not, laughing at suicidal people makes your opinion worth shit.

He's not really laughing. Just making an opinon on the topic.that I happen to agree with...