Survival of the fittest stronger now than ever more

BombCat

Whenever this theory, Survival of the fittest, is discussed, do you typically picture the safari and a lion keeping a herd of deers in check?

Do you picture the weakest and least vigilant (probably sleeping) deer being removed from the herd? It maybe often be referred to as a jungle law, where only the fittest survive.

Have you ever wonder if you are going to be that next sleeping deer?

Perhaps this law and theory has never diminished in strength or presence but personally i can feel it growing stronger with time and probably more complicated in the human world.

As a deer, you would only have to worry about out running the lion. What do we human "deers" have to worry about? Tonnes and tonnes of stuff i guess.

Anonymous

Yep. And more so as time goes on.

One poster once wrote about something horrible something said to him/her: "You're the sort of person who is expected to commit suicide."

Social Darwinism does this. People who are "fit" have no sympathy for those who aren't (the unfit drag down the fit, so to speak; it Darwinian terms, there is a "cost" to helping up to the fit). They can't afford to, in a way, in orer to stay fit. Centuries ago, we'd all have been locked up, or we would have died from not being able to function and support ourselves, or killed ourselves because we'd never be able to improve (since there was no knowledge of psychiatry then).

Conservatives and rich folks are social Darwinists to the max, always cutting social services (as much as they claim to not beleive in evolution--HA!), kicking ppl when they're down, etc. Cuz they know they're the fit, that they run the place, and screw the rest of us--refugees, the unemployed, the mentally ill, the poor, their own employees whoever-- we're not worthy.

The problem is that I'm starting to wonder if they're right. To not be social in a social species is to be defective. I'm all for enhancing the old self esteem, but we can't act all positive and pretend that there's nothing wrong with us when there IS!!!!!!! And I feel like I'm taking up useful space and offering the world complaint and negativity and the lack of my presence in return.

But then again, all medicine is intefering with evolution, so to speak (without modern medicine, how many of us would have died before today?). Civilization seems to really be all about freeing humanity from the chains of Darwinism--how else do we get art, culture, etc, things that don't directly help us survive and reproduce??

And sometimes the question is more like "how do I even try to survive and prosper when it's hopeless and I want to die?" Like today, for instance.

BombCat

<continue>

Other than the physical factor, there would be the social (hell for most people here already) factor and others and most importantly the financial factor.

So how do we go about ensuring we are the fittest deer of the herd? Do we discard compassion (this can be fatal for survival)? Do we become more selfish and place ourselves way way before others? Do we use whatever means necessary to strike it rich and secure the best mate, even if the easier way is being unscrupulous?

I'm pretty torn of how i should live my life. Should it be one as a weak "deer" with good will or the fittest "deer" without a heart?

Anonymous

J

I always had thought that high principles and a heart of gold were two of the more important things in life. This is what one is taught in school and dovetails with the highest ideals of civilization.

But they don't say "nice guys finish last" for nothing. Nice guys with SA/AVPD finish even further behind.

I've noticed for years that the folks at the top tend to be shallow, only of average intelligence, very social, egotistical, manipualtive, unburdened by shame or scruple, etc. etc. I'm really not any of these. It's all Machiavellian, it's all power politics, interpersonal relations and geo-realpolitik are all the same now. Knowledge doesn't matter--look at the US prez. Principle doesn't matter--look at all politicians and corproate CEOs. Being modest counts for nothing, it's an invitation to be torn down by others or have your accomplishments "stolen".

Assholes finish first. Once they're at the top they mellow out and sometimes become philanthropists after years of being misathropes... and then get feted for their "good works" and get their name splashed on every public building in sight.

How do we become fit deer? Apparently by being everything I mentioned 2 paragraphs ago. Be nice to your friends, an asshole to everyone else, and never, ever put anything before your own needs, everyone else be damned.

I can't go on the way I am, but couldn't live with myself acting like the fit deer. I am well and truly f!cked for life.

Anonymous

That was me again ranting above.

BombCat, I'd rather you be a "weak deer" like me. The world has enough jerks in it already. Though it is probably in your own best interest to not follow this advice. :) Nothing beats a lifetime of depression, desperation, and deprivation, right?? :lol

BombCat

So it's just you J. Hmmm why ya remain as a guest rather than a user? Well i dunno. At times, i did wished that i would be totally ruthless, despicable and without compassion, so that i can live longer with all the perks. But then again i doubt i can do so. Good values just do not worth much these days, in fact nothing i think. Only money, power and status do.

So meaning to say after many years of elimination and trimming, only the ruthless will remain?

Anonymous

Actually I did register, but ever since then it won't let me log in. Fortunately I haven't taken it personally. :lol:

I think society has naturally selected for ruthlessness to a large degree... but medicine and counseling (ha! :) ) dull the edge of that selection, as does civilization in general.

But hey, I'm not too surprised really. If we were living in caves and fighting off marauding tribes and giant land mammals all the time, ruthlessness would certainly be a good thing. (It seems to help in the boardroom too ;) )

It's just depressing that we all don't try harder to live according to our ideals and principles, and that so many will just "game" any system that's in place for advantage. I know nice folks can get ahead, but it seems very rare... right now I'd settle for getting by.

And thanks for finding my insights "valuable"--I don't really have enough conversations any more to know if I'm totally full of BS or not. :lol:

BombCat

I aint pulling ya when i said i found ya writings of great insight. Anyway i read ya other post, literary potraying ya life. You do deserve better and i pray for you. Get well "weak deer" and strengthen yaself but not at the expense of forsaking good will.

Anonymous

Thank you, sir! You are most kind. I'll try to stay a nice person. :) This place helps. I tend to feel a bit better after dumping a load of negativity on you all. :lol:

Anonymous

I don't mean to be rude, but often people with low intelligence tend to be more outgoing then those with high intelligence. The problem is that we think about what comes out of our mouths and have a better understanding of life then them. They're just too ignorant to realize everyone has different beliefs, thoughts, ideas, and opinions. However, I rather be ignorant and happy then intelligent and miserable.

Anonymous

You might be on to something, Guest.... folks like us perhaps are just much more aware of how much we DON"T know, even if it may be more than other folks do... making us act with caution.

I've met many folks with depression, anxiety, SA, and other issues, and oddly enough, almost all of them were pretty smart people.

I recall reading about research that showed that people who think they're incompetent tend to actually be doing fairly well (they may just have that SA tendency to think the expectations are higher than they really are...)...however, the *truly* incompetent, the total and complete f***ups of the working world, think they're great at what they do and have high self-esteem!

This may also explain the ugly fat slob sexist drunken bastard man who gets the supermodel girls ;) .

And, perhaps folks with SA like to drink alcohol because it makes us less intelligent and hence happier ;) .

BombCat

Well, i dunno how true is that. Times i do think that way but then brush it off that i'm fantasizing that i have super human powers. Other times, i think i'm dumber than anyone else.