Sympathectomy

JR25

Hi guys / girls. Just an update re my ETS / lumbar sympathectomy operations between 1999-2001.

Despite my GP reasurring me in 2003 (4 years after the first op) that things would get better with time (in terms of the side-effects I was suffering), as it stands my overall situation is worse than it's ever been. :cry: The compensatory hyperhidrosis is more profuse than ever, and has spread to areas like my stomach and chest in recent times (whilst still also present on back, legs, sides etc).
With all the other side-effects I desparately wish I could turn the clock back 14 years before any of the surgery, biggest mistakes I've ever made by a mile. :cry:
The only positives lately are that I have been supported by the best GP I've ever met (having switched medical centres), and I've got my first ever appointment with a neurologist next month, so who knows eh.
My advice however to anyone considering surgery is please, please don't do it. My quality of life was 100x better 14 years ago compared to now, don't make the same mistakes I did.

ukchick

I will second that. 24 years later for me and like you, have horrible side effects. Good luck with appointment x

Sprawling

This seems to be the case with ETS. Some people don't know the full extent of the side effects till years later. I guess everything we do is a gamble. Makes you wonder if the grass is really greener on the other side or is it Astroturf?

Jezza

Sad to here it. I got close to having ETS done years ago, a neurologist kinda routinely suggested it like it was no big deal. It was really like, 'oh, you have hyperhidrosis? Most of the times we perform surgery for that here...'

Luckily through similar reports like yours and the fact that the procedure was banned in the country it originated, I decided against it. As my sweating is (has become) so generalised anyway (without surgery) in all likelihood it would have made me much worse off if I had done the surgery. That is; the sweating would probably give me more or less the same problems as it does now but I'd have all the other bad stuff on top of that as well.

I think ETS is only really an option for people with severe yet isolated palmar (or palmoplantar) HH that doesn't respond to iontophoresis.

Anyway, I hope the new GP is able to alleviate your problems somewhat...

Last edited:

Jezza

This seems to be the case with ETS. Some people don't know the full extent of the side effects till years later. I guess everything we do is a gamble. Makes you wonder if the grass is really greener on the other side or is it Astroturf?

Off topic, but astroturf? A fellow F1 fan by any chance?

JR25

Had my neurology appointment on Tuesday, was basically a complete waste of time. :'( He did loads of tests (blood test, blood pressure, reflexes etc) but said that really there's nothing they can do for all the severed nerves. :( He seemed to focus a lot on particular side-effects such as sexual problems and my depression (for example he wants me to try anti-depressants), but I found this all so frustrating - none of this is going to help because only an attempt at repairing the damage those w*****s have done to me could make any possible difference to my quality of life.
So, nothing was really accomplished by going, but on the plus side I guess at least I'm still on the NHS' radar (whether that's a good or bad thing I'm not sure, lol), and they mentioned another appointment closer to where I live in the near future, so guess I've no harm in going.

P.S. Sorry for the negative post / mood, just one of those mornings where I needed a quick rant, sorry. :'(

Section_31

wow. I had no idea what any of this was untill i just wikipedia'd it....crazy that people have died following this proceedure :S.

I wish i knew what to say, except to wish you the best and i hope things can only somehow get better for you!

ukchick

So sorry you feel knocked down...so frustrating that the damage done is irreversible,we put trust in people to help us...so annoying.(((hugs)))

sportsfan8

Really sorry to hear the procedure has had such a negative impact on your life. The good thing is you are able to share your experience with others that are considering the surgery and really make them think about the potential consequences of getting it done (I've totally got rid of it as an option).

JR25

Thanks for the replies guys / girls, really appreciate it. :'-)

Sympathectomy sucks, anyone considering it don't do it!!