Talking on the Phone Near Other People

blight

Does anyone else feel particularly uncomforable when they talk on the phone and someone else is within hearing distance?

I have felt this way for a long time, even when I was younger and I would talk to a friend from home I wouldn't want anyone in my family to hear me talk to them so I would always duck away into another room (before even saying hello!). More recently I had a cell phone for a while and a couple times I was with a friend when it rang and I could barely answer it in front of them. With most things like 1-on-1 conversations with people i can usually get my shit together enough to fight my way through, but this phone problem is one that is much more difficult to deal with.

At work now I work in a cubicle (computer programmer go figure) and everyone around can here if one of the coworkers calls. :!: Sometimes I will put my head under my desk but that doesn't really help either. LOL.

Actually though when I am all alone and talking to someone on the phone it can be worse or better than talking to someone in person depending.

kiwi

Yeah I have the same problem. Luckily my job (also a computer programmer) doesn't require me to talk on the phone much, but sometimes when I do and the conversation isn't going as smooth as I'd like, I can feel my face burning and those beads of sweat forming...!

Whenever I have to make any outgoing calls, I try and rehearse what I'm going to say in my mind.... nothing worse that struggling to get your words out when other people are listening!

I never talk on the phone when other people are around. My best friend (who is the only person i call) says she can tell if i am with my family because i will be really awkward and not say more than a couple of words at a time.

PhantomPod

I always feel uncomfortable talking on the phone while other people are around and can hear my end of the conversation. And it's not like what I'm saying is particularly juicy or anything, but I'm still all awkward and distracted like I'm talking in code.

What's the worst is when I'll be in my dorm room talking with my mom, and she'll ask about my roommate, and my roommate will be right there in the room with me. All I manage to say is 'yeah', until she gets the point that my roommate is there and I don't want to talk about her.

IceLad

I despise using the phone at work in front of people. I always feel as if I'm going to 'trip up', and that I'll start mixing up my words or be unable to get them out.

Its the reason why I haven't gone for promotion at work even though I've been asked endless times.

:roll:

Septor

It's like there listening to everything I say,which freaks me out.A lot of time I won't even talk on the phone if there's people within hearing distance.

jamez

Well I use to be worst but not there are a few certain people I don't like talking on the phone around. I can talk on the phone around strangers now, I couldn't a couple of years back. Not that I get many calls anyhow =/

maggie

hey blight....i always hide when i use the phone...can't stand anyone hearing me...especially at work...if i do get a call...thank God it is a portable phone.... i always run back to the staff room...but somebody always back there to overhear my conversation....i hate it :evil:..my voice comes out all quiet and quivery....and it's hard to spit my words out :roll:

bashfulgirl

talking on the phone near other people

I have never liked talking on the phone when others are listening. I feel like they are judging what I say or making fun of me. Surely they have more interesting things to listen to or think about but nonetheless I think they are zeroed in on my conversation. :oops: Wish I could give them something fascinating to listen to :wink: