Telling Parents???

Prestonator

Hi everyone!

I am a student living away from home. I have a boyfriend and it was him who encouraged me and made me realise the seriousness of my anxiety problem. His parents are psycologists and had talked to him, without my knowledge, that he should encourage me into getting help. I am now undergoeing counselling and seeing my doctor regularly to monitor me. I just havent yet told my parents that i'm getting counselling, and don't know if i should or not? I feel if i do it might just make them worry, and then i would worry that they were worrying. Do you guys think i should tell my parents or not?

whattodo1

If you feel that it is something you need to share with them then do it, theres no harm in it!
I started therapy in january and I haven't told my parents and I don't plan on it, its something I want to do on my own and theres no harm in not telling them either..

dean01

just wondering everyone but what do you thinks gonna happen if you do tell a relative or friend ?

Lccska

If they worry, they're probably loving parents. But.....they may not have a clue on how to help you. They might give advice that isn't the least bit helpful, such as "just snap out of it". Be prepared to educate them.

UnOccupied

I had a very similar situation. I sought out therapy before telling my parents...actually i also was on AD's, without telling my parents, in an effort to "fix" myself quickly, without anyone having to know there was anything wrong with me in the first place. Well, it got to be too much, and i end up telling my mom. She told me she had no idea i was feeling that way, and took me to a park for a walk, and we talked about everything. She also told me that shes been taking AD's for over ten years, which was a huge shock for me.

It's just the type of family...my family is very secretive. We try to hide from our problems by not talking about them, and not letting others know. Well, this obviously doesn't work, and only makes things worse(my parents are going through a long over-due divorce now). So, i would say, as scary as it is telling them, you should. And it doesn't need to be a big huge deal. You can just start off by telling them you are having a little anxiety in social situations. It's as easy as that, no need to throw anything else in there.

Good luck! Hope this helped

dean01

Running away from problems isn't the answer, facing them is no matter how hard the situation
sound advice ;)

xDreamseller

It really depends on what type of parents you have I guess. I would tell my parents, as they are pretty understanding about these sorts of things. You don't have to tell them about it if you don't want to though.