The Check - OCD

Faded

I think its very familiar to lot of people.
im not sure wats it really called but its a type of OCD, where u need to check everything again,, like if u locked the door,, if u picked the towel from the bathroom floor,, if u switched off the water tank,,if u did all of yr hw, ... there are many .. sometimes it normal,, but sometimes not ,, Its a Very Strong Feeeling to Double - Check!!

"Often this compulsion comes from fear of not being able to trust their memory. People report that they have an unreal type of feeling; they know that they turned the curling iron off, but they can't be sure. "

Does anyone here, has this type of OCD? And do u think it wastes all yr time and engery,, were u Panic about it,, and u just need to run and do it?

june

I definately have that type of OCD. I always have to check if I started the washer and dryer, if I picked someting up or even if I flushed the toliet :oops: and tons of other things. I do get that unreal feeling like I think I did it but I'm not sure so I check and if I've done it I can't remember doing it. I've learned though that the more I give in and check the worse it is. So I make myself reassure myself that I've done it and obsess about it tell something distracts me, or I give in.

brownbag

wah-chey-ker-mar

i have that too, i don't know if this is actually called an OCD though, i was thinking another, but i guess it is.
definitely a waste of time and energy, but for some stupid reason you feel as though you didn't do the thing that you had just done, and gotta go and check it again,
some like you mentioned, locking the door, turning off the tap..
it's like you don't believe yourself that you already did it.
i don't panic about it though, but just feel compelled to do it - to go back n check.

FlipFlop

In order to transmit signals, our cells use a chemical substance called serotonin. The cells then take some serotonin back to use it another time. the cells of ocd sufferers, however, take back too much serotonin so the signals do not arrive at the next cell probably. For example, the signal "calm down, you have done it" does not arrive.
Oh, sounds familiar to me :D

jeff123

I definately have this type of OCD, although it doesn't impede on my life at all. I think I might just have it in a mild form, if you will.

LittleMissScareAll

That's the type I have. I know I waste quite a bit of time in doing it, but I still can't help but do it...if I didn't check over things before I left the house or something, I would worry constantly the whole time I was gone somewhere that the house was being burned down due to me not unplugging something, or that something else bad would happen due to me not checking something....

Faded

LittleMissScareAll said:
That's the type I have. I know I waste quite a bit of time in doing it, but I still can't help but do it...if I didn't check over things before I left the house or something, I would worry constantly the whole time I was gone somewhere that the house was being burned down due to me not unplugging something, or that something else bad would happen due to me not checking something....

Exactly!! :lol: :oops:

Anonymous

yeah,weird i thought there was something up with me,iam forever checking i locked doors.,even if iam home,and even though i know i have done it i still check,

spurs

FlipFlop said:
In order to transmit signals, our cells use a chemical substance called serotonin. The cells then take some serotonin back to use it another time. the cells of ocd sufferers, however, take back too much serotonin so the signals do not arrive at the next cell probably. For example, the signal "calm down, you have done it" does not arrive.
Oh, sounds familiar to me :D
that's fascinating! i wish that the neurotransmitters for SP could be clarified like this.

jamesP1

I used to have this thing where I would have to 'touch wood' everytime I said something which could mean something bad. It kept getting worse, like I would see on TV about some guy who had his car stolen, and I would have to touch a piece of wood or paper as if to say, touch wood that doesn't happen to me!

I read around online, and found a program which helped me:
beatyourocd

james