The Future of Gaming

ridicule

As long as I dont have to stand when I play games its all good, Kinect and Wii and Move annoy the crap outta me, I dont spend 8 1/2 hours standing and constantly moving at work to comehome, turn on a game and jump around like moron

A ****ing men. That's why it's for children and fat housewives, because everyone else likes to relax when they relax.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
Eh, I think I'll stick to 16-bit.
8-bit FTW!

its-dangerous-to-go-alone-take-this-500x312.jpg

Ignoring most of the thread here to say this...

They just want money. The maker of Minecraft said it best: It's a scam. Voxels aren't even going to work like current games until we have harddrives thousands of times bigger than what's available now.

Why Console Link thought consoles would even be able to handle this is lol-worthy.

They did mention it was research. It's not really supposed to be implemented like tomorrow or something. Besides, harddrive space increases in a incredible pace. I wouldn't be surprised if it became doable within the next 5-7 years.

It'll probably require a beast of a computer/console when those games come out, though. But then again, most past and current modern games did/do.

Incredible news, can't wait to see those graphics

Sometimes I dream of a world, where a virtual world becomes real.
Like stepping into your computer...

Azunyan

ID Softwares John Carmack on the subject

"Last night I asked Carmack why he thinks it'll take 5 years for something like the Unlimited Detail demo to be feasible, and he kindly explained, also outlining his own plans for a voxel renderer:

"You can real time ray trace a static world on high end hardware today as a demo, but there is a long path between a demo and something that is competitive with rasterization in a real product. My plan for such technologies has always been to emit a depth buffer as well as color from the voxel/point cloud renderer and continue to use existing technologies for characters/particles/etc.

"It took us five years to go from a megatexture demo to a (almost) shipping game."

So in 5 years, we may see something like Unlimited Detail... only there's a good chance it'll come from Carmack's id Software."

New World Notes: John Carmack on Euclideon's Unlimited Detail Demo, Notch's Reaction To It & Carmack's Own Plans for a Voxel Renderer

Besides, this technology is bound to be fully implemented later because of the consolization of games. There is no game built from the ground up to make use of DX10/11 for example.
Since a console is only released like every 5 years.... : /

Off topic, the one game from 2007 still tops those released 4 years later.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shZzYkpl5Nk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWT70H9YVEA

Last edited:

Blabla..

This is a mod i was making for Crysis a while ago, the goal was to make a super realistic looking forest environment.

28gzh9s.jpg

6539lw.jpg

realistic_forest4zm3.jpg

realistic_forest3hm1.jpg

Last edited:

Tiercel

I say go forward, make it as realistic as possible. It has one major positive effect and one major negative effect. The positive is, especially with violent-geared games, you can sort of get that violent and dominant experience without actually hurting someone, without taking drugs, etc. The major negative is desensitization. We'll get used to headshots and people getting run over, it may blend into reality and we won't feel anything.

Or possibly a 3rd option: PTSD. Why join the army when you can traumatize yourself in the comfort of your own home? Or be afraid of weird monsters jumping out at you because weird monsters are always jumping out at you.

Just imagine the horrors of the Aliens franchise on such a system.

:D

Thelema

This is a mod i was making for Crysis a while ago, the goal was to make a super realistic looking forest environment.

28gzh9s.jpg

6539lw.jpg

realistic_forest4zm3.jpg

realistic_forest3hm1.jpg

How the heck can you make that with a computer program? Its good enough that it looks real until you look especially closely.

Blabla..

How the heck can you make that with a computer program? Its good enough that it looks real until you look especially closely.

Low poly models with hi resolution textures , and the right lighting and a good eye for small details , simple as that !