The identity crisis

Soulspectre

I just wanted to propose maybe a little solution and question all in one maybe. Well, after going to therapy I've been learning a really good deal about myself. I really recommend it to anyone going through anykind of mental frustration because it really does help. Anyway let me get to the point. After seeing my therapist it becomes pretty clear to me that one of the reasons I have this social anxiety is my lack of identity. After being lost for so many years I've been trying to pick up the pieces and trying to find out who I really am. I think that most SA sufferers are going through this. I mean really, it's really hard to define yourself when there are so many kinds of images people like to portray. I think we like to put on "hats" let's say and try to play this game to see what kind of group we belong in. But doing all that really is just simplifying down the essence of who you are. It's really important to just find the person you are at your core and stop thinking about who you could be or who you should be like. I think that's the biggest step in making a recovery. Well, I hope I made some sort of sense and if you could decode what I was saying than I really hope you benefit from it;)

Rise Against

Yeah that makes a lot of since to me. Ive started therapy too and i am really learning a lot about my self. Im starting to realize that i am actually a cool person and fun to be around when i just act myself. Im glad your therapy is going well.

yeah, I agree with you too soulspectre. I didn't even realise until I started therapy how much of a fake exterior I'd been putting up, and how much I really didn't know and certainly didn't like my core true self. Now therapy has helped my by giving me tools to start loving myself...which is hard, but I'm gradually doing it!
Good post!

Soulspectre

I'm glad that all of you are getting therapy, it is really helpful. For the longest time I used to think that I could get over this on my own, but everyone needs help we're not gods, just people. We're only capable of so much. I believe once we can really find our "true" selves then we can begin living life on our own terms. I mean how often do we think about the kinds of people we could, should, or want to be. Doing that just hurts yourself and makes you feel more lost. Finding yourself is one of the best feelings in the world in my opinion, and it's always an ongoing search. I truly believe that the people on this forum are some of the best people that this world has to offer. Fellow sufferers banding together to try to help each other in this world that seems indifferent. We just need to keep on fighting and to never give up because there is definitely light at the end of the tunnel. I thank god every day to know that I'm not alone in going through this, and that we're all fine being the people that we are.