The Metal Thread

Reminds me of this old cassette tape i have - a mixed tape i bought from a 2nd hand shop. Has the awesome combo of: Tool --> Black sabbath --> Metallica (black album).
The dude who made the tape must've been a hardcore metal fan, as the tape cover was a diy one with image of a half-naked witch-mermaid clutching the moon, with gold highlighter around it (& still smells!). After several years of owning/playing it, the glue came unstuck & revealed this unusual "sanctus frateritatis ..." symbol on the back ... what a find! lol

S_Spartan

Speaking of Black Sabbath, I am surprised that their catalog hasn't been remastered. It seems they are still selling the same CDs that were originally issued in the 80s. Not that they sound bad, but you would think they would have done a remaster/repackage in the last 25 years. :\

AtTheGates

Banned
Speaking of Black Sabbath, I am surprised that their catalog hasn't been remastered. It seems they are still selling the same CDs that were originally issued in the 80s. Not that they sound bad, but you would think they would have done a remaster/repackage in the last 25 years. :\

True. I wish I could find that live in Paris video on DVD somewhere.

also, Bolt Thrower should have this album remastered while still keeping it more toward the low-end (because it complements the low tuning of their guitars)

This is one of their best albums but I wish it just sounded a bit better....not to mention, I can't imagine how much better they'd sound with a more talented vocalist.

check out the riff at 2:14
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BNw0sXB-tE

Last edited:

slimjim119

Maybe disagreements among band members or something.

S_Spartan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhzX0HYh3Qs

I can still remember hearing this album(cassette tape actually) for the first time back in 1986. Like other teenagers at that time I was listening to lots of metal, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Motorhead, but this was like a whole new aesthetic that I hadn't heard before.
It was quite a revelation at the time and I listened to it over and over!

Listening to it again 30 years later I can see why I liked this so much. This is well crafted metal. The songs are complex with lots of hooks and intricate changes.

Of course, the whole theme is very dark(this was really envelope pushing music in 1986) but it never feels forced. King's falsetto vocals really work well with the music.

Also the production is spot on, not too over/under produced. I don't listen to much 80s music because so much of it is overproduced but here the music is allowed to retain some of it's "rawness."

Of course, back then if you told people that you listened to King Diamond they immediately assumed you were a Satanist. But look at me! I listened to this over and over and I turned out ok! lol :p

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
I like my glam metal. Here's a talented and underrated band at the end of the glam era. I found a best of compilation of theirs in a $5 bin at Walmart. You never know what you will find in those.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caVQoAs9J1s

Oh yeah, half of the band is from my home state of NC, and the other half is from VA. They were big news around here when I was in middle school. They had a few hits on MTV, as well; they were really playing with the big boys for a while there. "Don't Treat Me Bad" is basically the song I learned how to sing to, and the girl in that video was an absolute scorcher, a rock video vixen for the ages. :D

slimjim119

Oh yeah, half of the band is from my home state of NC, and the other half is from VA. They were big news around here when I was in middle school. They had a few hits on MTV, as well; they were really playing with the big boys for a while there. "Don't Treat Me Bad" is basically the song I learned how to sing to, and the girl in that video was an absolute scorcher, a rock video vixen for the ages. :D

I never forgot the girl in the video. Just like I never forgot Tawny Kitaen in the Whitesnake videos:)

Yeah I had Firehouse's first cd. I forgot how good they were. They kind of fell into obscurity when grunge was getting popular.

Last edited: