The story of my life so people can see it

Lostinthemusic

I want to be with people, but at the same time, I don't want to be with people.

This is largely my problem too. When I like someone and attempt friendship I usually give up after the first awkward break in conversation. It makes it even worse when I bring up the awkwardness and the other person says it wasn't awkward for them. Makes me feel like there is something wrong with me and I back away even more.

JamesSmith

Cold weather is coming soon enough. Cold weather sucks, as I like to exercise outside, and don't like doing so in freezing temperatures.

Looks like the gym will be the place to be. I hate the freaking gym.

Ms Cloud

...What I'm saying is that people with SA are faced with an enormous wall in front of them. It's not as easy as hiding by yourself for the rest of your life, and it's also not as easy as "just being with people."

This is more of a complaint, now, then anything. I'm sick of it. I'm sick of outgoing people trying to give out simple solutions to anxiety and depression that work for them. They aren't us. They need to stop acting like they know what it's like to be us. They don't know, and never will.

The problem is not people, being around people, or not being around people. The problem is anxiety. That's the one problem.
I like your style, James. For some reason it makes me feel good to hear someone else putting these frustrations into words. You do it well.

"Just be with people" definitely does not work in our case. We have to be selective... incredibly selective. So selective that years may go by without meeting anyone that we could imagine "just being" with. It's almost like we need people who are custom-made for us, and that's asking a lot.

As for hiding away and making the most of a solitary existence, well... in my case I've found it to be an easier option than being around random people. But it's still hard. It requires a tough, philosophical outlook on life and the ability to shift one's perceptions.

Solitude also works for people who are a bit obsessive, who devote all their mental energy to one thing that interests them more than anything else. People like that seem to manage quite well on their own. Personally... I have some things that I enjoy doing, but I'm not obsessed with any of them. However, I'm keeping this in mind as one possible option for me. I think if I found a place where I could be around horses on a regular basis, I could conceivably forget about people altogether. Because I'd be in my element.

The only other solution (for me), as far as I can tell, would be to meet someone extremely compatible with me. The compatibility would have to be pretty damn spectacular though, because I simply don't have what it takes to adapt to others. Being forced to adapt is a major anxiety trigger for me. It makes me press the 'Eject' button as fast as I can.

So... yeah. Finding someone that I could be exactly myself with, without compromise, would be amazing. But as I said... most people would say I'm expecting too much. Adapting to others is considered to be a good thing. I don't know why I find it so hard, but I do. I can only keep it up for a brief moment or two. Then my mind starts rebelling against it, and that part is involuntary. It just happens.

I'll never stop looking for compatible people, it's just that I get less hopeful as time goes by. I don't really know where to look any more.

JamesSmith

I have former friends that I can go back to. I know where a guy lives, and I'm welcome there. He told my brother so.

Just getting the courage to go back, is really tough.

The thing that really stops is me I don't know if it's the best thing for me. Is it really going to help me? Last time I established friendship with people, I wound up in a mental hospital (Not a joke).

I went back to them a couple times, then I just faded away. It's 4 years now in isolation from friendship.

I confess that I don't know what to do. I'm just doing what's safe right now. It's comfortable hiding.

I just wish it were more simple. I wish I could just open up to people like they can open to people. I wish every conversation was enjoyment, not a task. That's what I hate. I hate how conversations to me are mysterious tasks.

I can't stand how communicating doesn't come natural for me in most cases. It was like a constant battle when I was around friends.

Ms Cloud

...I wish every conversation was enjoyment, not a task. That's what I hate. I hate how conversations to me are mysterious tasks.

I can't stand how communicating doesn't come natural for me in most cases. It was like a constant battle when I was around friends.
Totally. My last attempt at communication with another human (one that I actually liked) was a dismal failure. It pains me to think about it.

It should have been a pleasant, friendly conversation. That elusive "getting to know you" thing. Instead it consisted of a few one-line emails, several days apart, containing all sorts of cryptic, veiled messages. It felt more like a secret military operation than a conversation. Most of my time was spent trying to interpret what the other person was saying, what his intentions were, and whether he really wanted to talk to me or not. And at the same time, trying to assure him of my friendly intentions without coming across as needy. My god it was difficult. And I failed too, because as soon as I said one thing out of place, he got all defensive and started acting weird. Then I got defensive and started acting weird. Then it just died.

It's sad because I did like him as a person. But mostly because I don't understand what I did wrong, or why I was so severely punished just for trying to be nice. Stuff like that makes me retreat even more into my shell, vowing never to come out again. Seriously.