tips for public speaking (helpful!)

helenrogers

I just went and talked to a therapist about this and he gave me some "seemingly" helpful tips for public speaking.

*Focus on the back of the room, just focus on the wall and that for some reason, will help some.
*If focusing on the wall does not help, focus on someone in the group that you feel close to; someone that you feel comfortable with. Look at them as if you're talking to only them.

There were more but I don't remember them. lol. But those seemed like they were the most helpful. :roll:

symbiosis

Hmmmm, public speaking is SO HARD!! Wouldn't people wonder about you if you were staring at the back wall or just at one person? But those options must be better than focussing on the 'group' and panicking (now that's FUN!)

The hardest thing I've found to control is my voice....when nervous (especially when I was younger) I sound terrible - volume drops, voice shakes, can't think of what to say - yikes! Got fed up and went to a voice coach - learnt that by breathing properly and hence speaking louder, that my voice sounds kinda normal (except when REALLY nervous - only a hard thump to the head would calm me down then.....)

Cheers, Symbiosis

Ice

My teacher mark "eye contact" :( So if I gaze at the wall I won't get a high mark. I tried to scan the room. However everytime after 30 seconds or so when I get panic and forget everything, also I start to stare at the floor and my volume go down.

neddy

you can make a point of looking up every now and again to make it look as though you are giving eye contact, just a very quick look and then continue on with what you are saying. When you look up you can be looking at anything not necessarily at the other people. There is a way of doing this without making it really obvious.

Ice

neddy said:
you can make a point of looking up every now and again to make it look as though you are giving eye contact, just a very quick look and then continue on with what you are saying. When you look up you can be looking at anything not necessarily at the other people. There is a way of doing this without making it really obvious.
Thanks. I'll try that. :D

I'm gonna go back to school soon. Are you guys sad or happy? :D
I think it could be a new start meeting new people and an opportunity to fight SP but I'm scared and nervous all the same. :D

Good luck to all

Jarous

Make a fool of yourself - hold on, I'm serious - just ruin the seriousness of the talk (if possible), toss in some funny, sarcastic, ironic or controversial stuff - the audience will laugh and you'll be sure they are not ridiculing you but enjoying the funny stuff you put in...

Ice

jarous said:
Make a fool of yourself - hold on, I'm serious - just ruin the seriousness of the talk (if possible), toss in some funny, sarcastic, ironic or controversial stuff - the audience will laugh and you'll be sure they are not ridiculing you but enjoying the funny stuff you put in...
:?: :?: Excuse my english :D omg this is so hard to understand. :D
Anyway I apologize if I did anything wrong. But what's the big deal? (Sorry for my broken English LOL)

Jarous

Worry not, your English is way better than mine ... basically, just make the talk funny as to be sure they are not laughing at you but at the things you say...

Ice

Jarous said:
Worry not, your English is way better than mine ... basically, just make the talk funny as to be sure they are not laughing at you but at the things you say...
?????????....haven't a clue :p I gave up...
- I just started to learn English 2.5 years ago.

richkid

KISS maybe be the best approach :wink: . Keep it short and simple.
Use other things to distract the attention away from self, overheads, diagrams.
Perfect preparation make sure you know your W's
What you want to get across
Why you want to do this
When you going to do this
Where you are going to do this etc...

Imagine yourself doing it well and keep that inyour head. Master your mind.

Ice

Ok. Thank you richkid! :D
I read about doing presentations before on the net. They told me to imagine the whole thing before I do it. But that always makes me more nervous. I mean I can imagine myself doing it good. But I always doubt if I can do it for real.
However I had no problems in my presentations this year. I guess it's because I had a nice, supportive teacher. She would help me when I'm stuck. But one thing I found important is to overly prepare so that you'd never run out of things to say. :D