too hard to get help

maggie

How do you go to get help when, first, it's hard to make the phone call to begin with, why do I get nervous on the phone anyway?? Second, the thought of walking into the doctor's office and waiting in waiting room, then explain situation is more than I can handle. Why does such simple mundane, everyday stuff cause me such problem? Makes me feel like a freak. Even though I know I am an intelligent person, I feel so incredibly stupid! How do you go get help? 8O

zyxockjm

I go to an acupunturist now and then to help me relax. I am so scared when I walk in there and have to talk to her in front of everyone...she recognizes me as the stupid-acting patient of hers.......but somehow it doesn't mean a damn thing to me because she isn't anyone important. If it was an employer or classmate then it would be different, but a doctor? No matter his/her opinion of you they want you to come so they can make money, and their opinion doesn't have an impact on me.

LilMissTragic

I get someone to go with me. My mum usually, might sound sad for a person of my age but I don't care. You need support from a friend or a member of your family, if you could get someone to go with you maybe you'd find it easier to tell the doctor.

MadCat

LittleMissTragic:

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from. Support from family in these situations helps a ton, no matter what the age.

Maggie:

My GP refused to come out and see me when my Mum said I was unable to leave the house. She got on to social services and they send out a psychiatrist and social worker student.

If you can leave the house then it's a good idea to have someone go with you. If you can't, have someone close to you initiate the help.

Chilling__Echo

you can never be too old to call on mom! :)

maggie, remember that the doc you see for how you feel is there for a reason, they would be more understanding that someone else, especially since they see people like us everyday. other people in the waiting room probably feel worse!

Nightshade

Hi Maggie

I've posted this elsewhere but it was a long time ago and there are a lot of threads here.

One really useful thing was the following book.

I bought it online at Amazon so I didn't have to face anyone in the process. I am now working through the exercises in it. Using this approach, you don't have to tell anyone - although the first thing you should work towards should be asking for help I think.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...79/sr=2-1/ref=pd_ka_b_2_1/102-6631545-2756927

In case the link doesn't work - look up the author Gillian Butler on Amazon and that will get you to the book.

I love reading and working out problems in my head. So basically doing CBT on my own has worked quite well for me so far (kind of like a complicated cryptic crossword). I see a psychologist every few weeks but she is really just backing up what I am mostly doing on my own. A book is a great place to start for many people with social phobia I think.

That doesn't mean I don't recommend getting help from a doctor, but perhaps you can use the book to remind yourself that it is ok to go and ask a doctor for help.

Don't feel like a freak Maggie. I felt like a freak for most of my life, but we are all different and all good at some things and find others hard. One of the best things I ever learned was that I'm not a freak. I'm nowhere near average sure, but that doesn't mean that I am less of a worthwhile person. Normality is WAY overrated.

It's hard for me to explain just how positive I feel at the moment, but I have really improved over the last 5 months. Over my life I have had anxiety problems come and go, but it was like I had no control, I couldn't stop the problems developing and IF they went (because not all did) it seemed to be just sheer luck.

Now, I have taken some control over my fear. Some control only, I still have a problem, but it isn't running my life like it was even 6 months ago.

AlmostDead

I felt the same way you did maggie the first time I went to the psych ... felt I woudln't be able to handle it. However, it was actually 10x easier than I thought it would be. Give it a shot, you can do it! :wink:

GettingThere

To the good advice and encouragement given by others before me I would add that about three percent of the population has this thing so you should use to to realise that you are not as "different" as you think.
Life is too short to be afraid of what your Doctor may think so try be brave. You may consider going to a different Doctor (other than your usual one). That is what I did.