UK Documentary about Hyperhidrosis

LucyatRawTV

My name is Lucy. I work for a television production company called Raw TV. We’ve been asked by Channel 4, a major broadcaster in the UK, to look into developing a documentary about hyperhidrosis and the effect it has on sufferers.

This forum has been a great source of information for me and it is encouraging to see there is a network of online support out there.

I would love to hear from you if you do have hyperhidrosis and feel it effects the way you live: perhaps you feel less confident in social situations, getting the job you want, or in your relationship. Maybe you’re in your 20s, 30s or 40s and are dealing with a sudden outbreak and find it’s stopping you living a full life. Or perhaps you’ve spent a small fortune trying to find a cure.

If you are based in the UK and would like to find out more or simply offer your opinion, please do add to this thread, send me a PM, e-mail or we can arrange to have a confidential chat over the phone. I’ll be able to tell you more about the documentary and there is no obligation to take part.

We feel this is an important documentary to make - far too often people underestimate how excessive sweating can affect people’s lives and hope to change that opinion.

I look forward to hearing from you. All my details are below and please do look on our website (www.rawtelevision.co.uk) if you would like to find out more about Raw TV.

Lucy
Raw TV
E: [email protected]
T: 0207 284 6882

bill-uk

This post has had 106 views and no responses so I thought one was merited. I would be very grateful if a programme could be made about our afliction, something I have never even heard mentioned on TV before.

It is something that affects our lives beyond the comprehension of those that may not even have heard about it but sometimes see a 'sweaty' person on the underground, in a meeting, writing in an exam, in an interview or just eating in a restaurant.

I suffer from facial HH and it affects my life beyond comprehension to those that don't suffer. Most of my life and career choices and certainly most of my social occasions have been determined by how hot the situation would be. Would I suffer before, during or after the event? Sometimes I avoided the event, sometimes I tried to cover it up and sometimes I just brazened it out with the sweat runnking down my face, neck and my hair soaking wet. I forget how many times people have asked me 'If I am ok'. Thoughtful of them, but makes you feel like sh**.

The other reaction is not to trust someone who sweats too much. They must be untrustworthy, or at the very least, unreliable !!!!

Nope ....

Shake my hand and it will be pretty dry because I only suffer from facial hyperhidrosis. Others suffer from the hands, armpits or feet profuse sweating. Sometimes whole body sweating. Many of these people have careers that stagnate because of this condition, some stay totally isolated at home because of it. A few people seem to rise above it and get on with life despite the condition. I try to do this but every day is a trial with medication, oral and topical, on the agenda.

I have a wife and children and am immensely lucky despite this thing that affects my life. Nonetheless, I think about it 100 times every single day and how I will get through each day.

I sometimes wonder whether, if I have sweated 40 times more than the average person, have I drank 40 times more water than them? Am I hotter than them every day? Do I sweat more because of the food I eat? Is this genetic ? Is it because my mother smoked during pregnancy?

I hope others will read and contribute to this. It is an important subject for us all. I don't wish to appear or be quoted by name, but if my experience is of interest then I'm happy for it to be used to the benefit of those of us who suffer.

Bill

sebmel

I've spoken with Lucy on the phone, and the documentary sounds like it could be of great benefit, if it can achieve the aim of increasing awareness. I think one of the biggest problems we face is that people (and GPs in particular) just think of HH as just a bit of harmless sweating, without realising the consequences that we have to live with because of it.

I hope some of us will have the courage to appear on the documentary, although I completely understand why you wouldn't want to (I also didn't want to).

Bill, are you interested in attending the London meeting I am trying to organise? My post is a few below this one in the forum. So far the response has not been very high.

metalogue

Please let everyone know when DOC movie comes out!

Hello, I hope someone's following this and that they'll let everyone know when the documentary movie about hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating) comes out.

Thanks

Metalogue

http://www.megadry.com

End Heavy Sweating Now : Don't sweat bullets.

clack013

I have really severe hyperhidrosis all over that requires me to take an anticholinergic medication. This has side effects including extreme dry mouth, shortness of breath, tiredness etc. I am not in the UK but If I can provide information I would be happy to.