Urine on Phone, please help

johnt

Hi,

I have ocd and particularly have a fear of body fluids, urine, faeces etc. I went out the other night to farewell drinks for somebody at work and as sometimes happens I had more to drink than I wanted to. In fact I couldn't remember getting home. The problem I have is that I do have a weak bladder sometimes and I vaguely remember looking at the front of my underpants and seeing a wet patch about the size of a circle 2 centimetres or nearly an inch when I was in the toilet.

The thing that is really bothering me is that I had the On Call iPhone from work which we share between about 5 people from week to week.

I wonder if by having the iPhone in my front pocket if the Urine got into the phone, I wiped it over with a hand wipe but I have no way of cleaning the connector that the charger cable plugs into.

I think everytime I plug the charging cable connector into the charging socket on the phone it will get Urine on it. I have to put the cable into a case which we keep few other things in like a mobile internet dongle etc.I think when I put the cable back into the case, the cable connector that I have pulled out of the phone will pass urine onto the inside of the case and the other things that are in it.

Just wondering how I can get around this as it is really bothering me.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jeff

johnt

Hi Remus,
Thanks for the reply, the problem is that I can't really wipe in the socket of the phone where you plug the charging cable into for fear of damaging the phone with a wet wipe. So I still think there is Urine in the socket and if I plug the cable into the socket the end of the cable connector will get Urine on it. So if the end of the iPhone cable has Urine on it, it will pass Urine it onto the inside of the plastic case and other things in the plastic case.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks again, I do appreciate your replies.

Jeff

Remus

Staff member
Hi Remus,
Thanks for the reply, the problem is that I can't really wipe in the socket of the phone where you plug the charging cable into for fear of damaging the phone with a wet wipe. So I still think there is Urine in the socket and if I plug the cable into the socket the end of the cable connector will get Urine on it. So if the end of the iPhone cable has Urine on it, it will pass Urine it onto the inside of the plastic case and other things in the plastic case.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks again, I do appreciate your replies.

Jeff

Use alcohol wipes instead then.

Hi, Jeff.

What is your major concern with this? Is it the actual urine in there, or mainly the bacteria of urine being in there? Either way, try using a tooth pick or something to nudge the wet wipe in there. Like, use the point of the toothpick, you know?

Like Remus suggested, alcohol or Dettol wipes would be perfect for this due to their effective bacteria killing nature. I'd suggest doing it about 3 or 4 times just to make sure.

Make sure your phone is off, though, just to be safe. Also wait till it has dried before you turn it back on. If you wait an hour it should be safe.

Pookah

This much time out the urine would have evaporated and its unlikely there would be residue remaining that could be transferred to the cable. It is a miniscule possibility that it even got into the port. I know that this might not be comforting to your OCD but I find that being realistic about the possibilities calms me down a bit in SA situations.

If you are still worried, electronics wipes or spray that is first applied to a paper towel should be safe to clean more with.

CursedSoul

Banned
Try suppersing this feeling of touching urine and eventually it will become a part of your acceptance because it was your urine... I had been a biology student and believe me urine itself has anti-bacterial nature and its sterile because of its acidic nature...your phone is now actually more disinfected than before the urine incident..

MothPriest

this sounds like me a lot of the times. I think you already know that you aren't too worried about the fear of bacteria, but rather the 'disgusting' and uncomfortable feeling of the urine? right? Yah its a difficult one, but you could try a few things. Are you 100% certain it was urine on your pant? It could have been a spilled drink, maybe when u washed your hands a bit sprayed there, or sometimes when you go urinate and finish up a dabble or a few drops might leak out when u zip up your pants or w/e, that's almost unavoidable, unless you are me...sigh. So there is that chance, then the chance that if it was urine, it may not have gone on your phone, but yes it could have gone on it as well tho. So lets say it did, and you described the spot as 2 cm to an inch in thickness right? diameter wise im guessing, so thats not too much, could be what i explained about above. Also, you said you have a weak bladder sometimes, well if you did accidently pee yourself, i feel like it would be hard to stop yourself after letting go that fast to only leave that small of a spot, it would probably have been much larger and noticeable for you. But alas, if all else fails, do some research on urine, it is actually not toxic or considered waste. It is like 95 % water, 2.5% excess vitamins and minerals your body doesnt need, and the rest is like something else. And the fact that its yours probably is a little better. However i know all this yet I still find it difficult to deal with a lot of the times..its just really....friggen uncomfortable and gross and should not be on stuff...but bah I hoped I helped you. Try not to aim for perfection either, maybe meet yourself halfway, clean it a bit, clean the prongs slightly or something, but know that there will be a bit left over, always a bit, and try to accept that and feel it. :)

durda_dan

urine is actually very sanitary, as gross as it sounds, it practically is bacteria free.

But you could always try to get a new phone, or if you dont trust that. just get some disinfectant wipes.

laure15

urine is actually very sanitary, as gross as it sounds, it practically is bacteria free.

But you could always try to get a new phone, or if you dont trust that. just get some disinfectant wipes.

Yes, in most cases, urine is very sanitary. In fact, soldiers in the past used urine to disinfect wounds during wartime. But, if a person has some sort of illness (i.e. urinary infection), then his/her urine may not be sanitary.