Using public transportation

StillHoping

I have recently started using the public bus system here (because the price of gasoline exceeds my ability to pay for it). But I'm having lots of trouble. All but one of the bus drivers seem very frustrated with me and I'm beginning to fear they won't even let me on the bus next time. :mrgreen: I could really use some suggestions on how to pass as a "normal" person (nobody else on the bus seems to be having the least bit of trouble :oops: ). I just want the drivers to let me ride in peace--it's anxiety-provoking enough just guessing where to pull the cord so the bus stops close to my intended destination.

What kind of troubles? Well, it seems like every bus driver has his own rules. (Except for the return driver, every time I've ridden this bus, I have a new driver.) The first time I rode the bus, the driver explained that the particular bus I caught went out of service after 3 blocks. He then kindly explained the bus schedule to me :oops: (Now, I had spent quite awhile studying that schedule and THOUGHT I had it all figured out :oops: ). After a half-hour wait at the bus stop, I caught the continuation bus and got to my chiropractor okay, only an hour late. :oops: On the way home, though, I pulled the cord well before the intersection I wanted to get off at, but the bus driver changed lanes and went another two blocks before stopping. :? I asked him about whether he could stop back where I wanted and he said he could have if I had VERBALLY requested it of him ahead of time (instead of just using the pull cord signal). 8O I'm sorry. It's tough enough to ride the bus without having to make special requests in words, too.

Okay. Day two. I started at a different time, so I wouldn't run into the out-of-service problem again. And, I stood on the corner where the previous bus driver had dropped me. This bus driver, though, told me he couldn't pick me up there. :x I probably had too much excitement / resentment in my tone when I asked him where I COULD get picked up. Basically, he said I had to walk ANOTHER block and wait at that corner. :!: I got my mouth open to ask about how I was supposed to be signaling for the bus to stop (just to make sure I was doing that part right). :?: He answered about sticking up a hand and waving (which is what I thought), but then he went on to add several increasingly facetious suggestions, ending with the one that I should "wave an Al Q'da flag". Although I politely laughed, I felt he had said my presence was as undesirable as that of a terrorist. :cry:

The worst part of this interaction was that I KNEW this bus driver. We had been close friends (I thought) just before I became disabled and dropped out of the world 14 years ago. I even said, "Oh, hi Dave!" when I recognized him, but he obviously didn't recognize me. And, since I had gained 100 pounds :oops: since he knew me and he seemed upset with me anyway, I didn't make a point of saying, "Hey, remember me? We were great friends, back when." So it was uncomfortable, but I made it through that trip. The return driver was the same as the day before. I still didn't talk, just pulled the cord several blocks from a stop I was pretty sure he'd make and walked the long way home.

Today. Another new bus driver on the pick up. Same time as yesterday, I had walked the extra block to the corner where Dave told me to wait. I signalled the bus. No flashing lights to acknowledge the driver was going to stop. :!: So I waved more frantically. Flashing lights. I get on and the bus driver asks if I wanted the #29 bus. "Yes." (After all, only the #29 bus goes down this street.) :roll: He uncovered the fare machine and then covered it back up after I paid. (Hmmm, that was different.) So, we get to the stopover point and he turns to me and asks if I am continuing this route. "Yes," I said. "Well, ma'am, you're going to have to exit the bus." "What! Why do you guys change the rules every single day?" :evil: "Ma'am," he explains how he has to exit the bus to use the toilet and so I have to leave the bus, too.

So I barely step out of the door of the bus and stand there until he comes back. :twisted: (Passive-agressive mode, I know, but I'm not dealing with all these frustrations well.) I don't move a muscle, yet when he comes back he asks me to step back. "Now what?" I ask. "Why must you be that way?" he asks. But he opens the bus and I march back on and sit where I was before, glaring at the floor, hoping to send the message that he better not ask me to pay a second fare after only three blocks. He doesn't.

Wonder of wonders, he lets me off at the stop I wanted. The return driver was the same one for the last two days. But I still blink back tears all the way home. I get off at the same stop as yesterday walk home without further incident. :cry: But, I've been crying ever since I got home and dread the bus ride tomorrow.

How do you guys cope with this? Do you have trouble keeping anger under control at each little frustration? How?

A sad fact is some bus drivers, and other people in unsatisfying jobs have a massive chip on their shoulder, they're annoyed that they have to do such menial work, and they have no power, control or anything, so they make themselves feel important by exerting power over people who seem like they'll just put up with it. By no means am I saying all bus drivers are like this, there's a few I get on quite well with and they are cool :) But some just feel so bad about themselves that they have to make others feel small and embarrassed so they can hide the fact that THEY feel frustrated and annoyed with life. To be honest, I have actually told a bus drive that to his face :oops: don't know how I got the guts, but I was so annoyed, and he was going on about how people were 'smoking on the bus' even though no-one was, and he was saying how students are terrible (he was driving the college bus home) and I just got so so angry at him.

Try and remember that when you next get annoyed with a bus driver, they are only doing it to make themselves feel empowered, and that is pathetic.

Naomi xx

Hurricane

wow, I never heared such rudeness out of busdrivers...where do you life? Here in Belgium I never had problems with public transport...u just get on, tell the busdriver how many zones you want to drive (or where you want to be, they know how many zones) and you pay up, when u need to get off at a station u just ring a bell and that's that...and most busdrivers are friendly too...

StillHoping

wow, I never heared such rudeness out of busdrivers... Here in Belgium I never had problems with public transport

Thankx, Hurricane. I found your post very reassuring.. It helps to remember that many bus drivers are still nice human beings. :)

StillHoping

Try and remember that when you next get annoyed with a bus driver, they are only doing it to make themselves feel empowered, and that is pathetic.

Thanx, Naomi, for the perspective. :D The thought that these guys were themselves feeling powerless had briefly crossed my mind. But I was too upset to think...

I guess my next question is: How do I look/act so I'm less likely to be picked as the victim? Any insights would be welcome...

4myself

Once you know how the system works (where you need to stand to be picked up, where they can drop you off ect), there are a few tips that I find makes the drivers happy, make sure you have the correct fare or as close to it as most drivers dont like having to do mental maths and/or change big notes, smile and say "hello" and "please and 'Thank you", you probably do this anyway, if they give you grief then just apologise and explain that you have only just bugun to use the buses and are not exactly sure what you are doing yet.
I hope this helps!.