Various questions about iontophoresis

Scarface88

Firstly, I apologise if this new thread is breaching any rules, like if it's a repost of someone's previous question(s). However, I do have some questions about iontophoresis, which I have been undergoing now for 3 days for about 25 minutes each time (12-ish mins before switching hands around) on a home-made device, going on 4 days on Sunday. I appreciate the time anyone takes to read them.

1) Is it normal for me to get only 10-20 minutes relief from sweat, before it returns? For instance, as I type this, my hands are starting to sweat, and I only finished about 20 mins ago.

2) Should I avoid washing my hands or making contact with water or anything after treatments?

3) After how many treatments is it usually before the symptoms go away for full days?

4) Should I buy a 'proper' device rather than use my home-made one (it consists of two 6V batteries and two foil trays)?

5) Does anyone else experience a stiffening of their wrists during the process? This happened to me today; I was initially startled, but just continued on because it wasn't painful and I really hate having sweaty hands.

Thanks for taking the time to read my questions, and I look forward to any replies.

HH

Unfortunatley it varies from person to person with regarding treatment. How much do your hands sweat?....is it full on dripping or can it be stopped some what by topical creams/lotions.

You'll probably have to do a few more before you start seeing results. I use a idromed 4 GS machine and did initial treatments every day for two weeks. I think the current was about 10-12mA and each treatment was for about 10-12mins. After this I did two treatments a week for 30mins, sometimes less is more with iontophoresis.

You might get better results from a proper machine like the idromed but it depends on if you afford/get hold of one (don't get a drionic). Stick to it and hopefully it will get better

Sprawling

"1) Is it normal for me to get only 10-20 minutes relief from sweat, before it returns? For instance, as I type this, my hands are starting to sweat, and I only finished about 20 mins ago."

If you are talking about immediately after the treatment, yes that sounds normal. It usually takes at least 3 days for a treatment to take full effect during maintenance treatments and at least 10 treatments before your hands achieve dryness. Treatment times are different for everyone, quality of the water hardness is also important.

If you can afford a real machine, go for it. I use the Fischer md-1a and am quite pleased. I was just lucky to pick one up used years ago. My original treatment started on a "crappy" Drionic and I was grateful to achieve dryness. You start with whatever you can afford. If you get results from a homemade device, you're a good candidate for success with a"real" machine.

My wrist sometimes will get stiff. I usually prop them on a rolled small towel to the height of my treatment container/foil dish. This makes treatment a little more comfortable. For me, having my table and chair set a certain way is important for treatment that occurs every 9-10 days.

There is nothing to do after your treatment other than put your equipment away and look forward to your next zapping session.

SweatSweatGoAway

1) Is it normal for me to get only 10-20 minutes relief from sweat, before it returns? For instance, as I type this, my hands are starting to sweat, and I only finished about 20 mins ago.

Your nervous system is relaxed and thus you aren't sweating. Usually any type of thinking triggers the sweating, and that includes coming up with words to type, various rational thoughts like mathematics, etc.

2) Should I avoid washing my hands or making contact with water or anything after treatments?

No, the mechanism of iontophoresis doesn't work like that.

3) After how many treatments is it usually before the symptoms go away for full days?
12-18 on average

4) Should I buy a 'proper' device rather than use my home-made one (it consists of two 6V batteries and two foil trays)?

Absolutely, a professional device is less painful and is technically made for hyperhidrosis (the current is higher on Idromed/Hidrex/R.A. Fischer than on the homemade machine). Try to get insurance to cover it, or look on eBay. I recommend Hidrex.

5) Does anyone else experience a stiffening of their wrists during the process? This happened to me today; I was initially startled, but just continued on because it wasn't painful and I really hate having sweaty hands.

Yes, when I did iontophoresis with the homemade you have a feeling of being unable to uncurl your hands, right? I don't think this is harmful because it goes away soon thereafter. This doesn't happen with the professional devices.

Good luck!

Scarface88

Thanks for the replies, guys. I think I'll see my doctor and see what he says with regards to being able to get a 'proper' machine (although I'm aware that opinion on iontophoresis is divided where doctors are concerned). I'll probably end up with such a machine anyway though.

@HH - my hands don't literally drip, rather I get a glistening layer of moisture over both palms, and Driclor etc don't work (they just make my hands a bit greasy).

Cheers for putting me a little more at ease with the whole thing, guys. I'll post updates on my progress, and if I get the same success as some of the people on these forums, I'll be here to help others in my position!