Walking past co workers

rko74

With my job in produce section of a grocery store i have to go to the back and get new fruit etc to display.When im walking around and seeing various co workers, ie: boss ones who hired me, i get pretty self concious.Its like that uncomfortable feeling , only way i can describe it as is almost like dread.I hate walking by and not knowing what to say or whether to say hi or what.I guess im not there to be mr sociable , to just do my job.Does anyone else find it kinda uncomfortable when your walking by your co workers? I think all kinds of stuff, like do they think im weird, too quiet, am i making them uncomofrtable etc. :(

Nubly

you dont have to try to describe the feeling. im sure most, if not all, people on this forum knows it. common courtesy would be to say hi or just make eye contact with them and smile. and yes, i know this is hard for someone with SP. but you arent required to say anything to them so there is nothing anti-social about just walking by past your coworkers. lots of people do that

pitkreet

I reckon nubly is probably correct in that most of us here will know that kind of uncomfortable feeling. Wheere I work, there are corridors and whenever you pass people going the opposite way, everyone seem to feel the need to acknowledge the other person with a smile, or a nod, or saying "hi" or something and I can see plenty of them (even though they don't have SA) feel the same discomfort that I feel.

One guy at my office sits near the entrance and everytime someone walks in, he'll say "hi" and smile or something. So even if you go out to the toilet, he'll always greet you when you return. It's so pointless but it's made me fell less stupid about always having to say "hi" whenever I pass people in the corridor.

Just choose a stock greeting, such as saying "hi" and just do it every time. Forget about the fact you said "hi" to that same person 3 minutes ago when you last passed them, just say it again. The more you do it, the "pointless stupidity factor" of this endless acknowledging one another gradually reduces and the discomfort reduces too.

If you don't say "hi" people will think you're rude, so just join the crowd and say "hi" all flippin day long, albeit that it lacks sincerity.

corsa

i know how you feel about walking past co-workers. My office is located at the end of a long hallway, which i have to walk down everytime i want to get to the main office area, and i usually end up passing a few people along the way. Mostly there is no acknowledgement and i don't feel pressured to say anything.

However there is this one guy who has an office a few doors down from mine and we usually walk past each other everyday. I call him the 'familiar stranger' cos I have no idea what his name is or what he does, but because i pass him so often i feel pressured to do something to acknowledge the fact that we're walking past each other. So lately both of us do this awkward little smiley thing. For me it's 'oh fuck here we go again, give a little smile, avert the eyes, look some more & give a little smile, avert the eyes, smile (remember it's a really long hallway), oh he's getting closer, avert the eyes, walk past him without saying anything, breath a sigh of relief, keep walking. After it's all finished i'm like 'oh i've done my social deed for the day' :roll: Until tomorrow, when the cycle will begin all over again.....

jauggy

pitkreet said:
I reckon nubly is probably correct in that most of us here will know that kind of uncomfortable feeling. Wheere I work, there are corridors and whenever you pass people going the opposite way, everyone seem to feel the need to acknowledge the other person with a smile, or a nod, or saying "hi" or something and I can see plenty of them (even though they don't have SA) feel the same discomfort that I feel.

One guy at my office sits near the entrance and everytime someone walks in, he'll say "hi" and smile or something. So even if you go out to the toilet, he'll always greet you when you return. It's so pointless but it's made me fell less stupid about always having to say "hi" whenever I pass people in the corridor.

Just choose a stock greeting, such as saying "hi" and just do it every time. Forget about the fact you said "hi" to that same person 3 minutes ago when you last passed them, just say it again. The more you do it, the "pointless stupidity factor" of this endless acknowledging one another gradually reduces and the discomfort reduces too.

If you don't say "hi" people will think you're rude, so just join the crowd and say "hi" all flippin day long, albeit that it lacks sincerity.
About the "hi" rule I think its generally accepted that if you've already said hi once then a "head nod" is a sufficient greeting there after. A "head nod" is just between a formal "hi" and not saying anything - so its the safest bet in any occasion where you're not sure whether to say hi or not. :D

nod of acknowledgement

The nod of acknowledgement is a standard among guys as a way to let the person know that you see them, without having to resort to using words. Girls will generally not accept the nod of acknowledgement and opt for a wave of the hand and/or a smile, perhaps even accompanied by words. The nod of acknowledgement is a wordless conversation.

The only acceptable response to a nod of acknowledgement is another nod. If you speak, you have broken the point of such a gesture.

Situations in which the nod of acknowledgement may be used:
(1) Walking past a friend to class
(2) Catching a friend's eye across the room to say "hi" without verbally saying it
(3) Giving approval of a friend's actions
Urban dictionary

IceLad

I'm not too bad with people when I'm in the office, but when I meet them outside, it is certainly more challenging. However, I always try and acknowledge them when posible. Yesterday though, I waved at one when I was on my way back from lunch and they just put their head down and stared at the ground. :(

Sometimes, it makes me wonder why I bother....