Water phobia.

jonas89

Alright, I love taking baths, shower,I boats, aquariums, the sea and the beach.
But embarrassingly I don't know how to swim -_- I kinda feel ashamed for it because Im 23 years old and also I kinda want to learn but too embarrassed to do something about it or admitting it to someone.
The origin of this phobia I believe is when I was younger I tend swimming classes with school, but one time I almost drowned, that experience just hunted me for few years until I the school forced me that I should take those classes again,, so I went again for it and everything started out pretty well and I was beginning to enjoy it.
But then something similar happened again, and since then I haven't gone to the swimming pool again..

Im kinda tired of always making up excuses that I have to do something else or something when a friend or friends want to go to the beach or the pool.

I kinda know what I have to do to tackle this problem, but just to damn embarrassed. I need some motivation or something.

Phoenixx

You sound just like me. I love seeing the ocean and being near it and I love going to the beach when I can, it's just kind of hard since I don't live anywhere near one anymore. I don't like being near pools though or even being on boats, all because of the fact that I can't swim either. It's embarrassing for me too, especially since my brother actually taught himself when he was young and well, I never understood the concept, and I also had a situation with near drowning that has haunted me for a while.

I would love to learn how to swim because I don't want to fear water.

dottie

just hold your breath, relax, and you will float to the surface. your lungs turn you into a buoy. once you practice that and are confident you can and will float... then move on to learning how to maneuver. you can do it!! take some lessons at a local pool. go for it!

laure15

I used to have water phobia when I was a child. I would sit near the edge of the pool and dip my legs in it while the other kids are in the water playing. One day a teacher grabbed me from behind and dumped me into the water. I was shocked and scared but then realized that the water isn't so bad. I quickly got over my fear of swimming.

dottie

get a cute girl to help you! lots of girls like being a caretaker, so she would probably dig it.

spearhunter

I actually dont fear water , i welcome it,I had my bad experience in water like almost drowning a couple of times,but it did not make me fear water and now i really enjoy it,like fishing, scubadiving ,swimming or spearfishing.

squidgee

The only thing I'm scared of about swimming pools is the sudden rush of cold that envelopes me when I jump in. I actually find it hard to sink in a swimming pool; even when I'm not trying to float or anything. If I swim to the bottom of the pool, the water just carries me backs up.

Kiwong

There are adult learn to swim programs. I had one on one lessons with a teacher in a shallow pool.

I had a very strong fear of deep water, but with the help of teachers I learnt to swim up to 900 metres.

The most useful things I learnt were

1)how to breath in water. You blow bubbles out your nose. You can place your face in water but due to the surface tension water will not run up into your nostrils. First off, I taught myself to breath by blowing out bubbles from my nose in a wash basin. Then I practised in shallow water at the pool.

2) The other technique was a simple suvival position. When you get tired you can roll onto to your back and float, until you have the energy to swim on.

When I was learning I found a shallow 25m pool to pratice in. It helped to know I could stand up when tired.

Last edited:

jonas89

Yes Phoenixx,, this is really annoying.. I do tho on boats ,,, but like if I go on a little one I fear feel uncomfortable, I dont know if I will survive if I fall over haha.

Dottie:: I know,, when I was a kid I tried it, but somehow I just never got it. I just started to panic all the time,,
And I don't know about that hahaha,, maybe when I get this right and will use this a pick up strategy :D

Kiwong:: I just haven't seen those programs here that is the thing :/ and I would be so embarrassed to ask about it if they were.. I have been trying getting used to this. like breathing through the nose and when I make a mistake I just panic if I get little bit of water in,, I always somehow want to breath -_-

Predacon

I never liked taking swimming lessons as a kid. I just couldn't enjoy it. Have to say though poor swimming ability has never come up as problem. I don't like swimming and since leaving primary school, I've never been in a situation where I had to swim.