Weird OCD manifestation

JohnDee

I have to double-triple check anything that locks in my house or something that has been in my care. I.E: Doors, windows, cars , pockets, locks.

It's weird as soon as I do it I have to make sure I done it multiple times, if I only do it once and walk away i literally forget if I did it or not.
There have been times where I have jumped in a taxy just to have turn around halfway to my destination so that I can check if i did it or not.

If I am unable to do so I become extremelly stressed out until I hear someone like my mum or brother actually verify it and tell me by phone or in person (text wont cut it) I need to hear them say it and even then I wonder if someone could have broken in or something.

Weird huh?

Remus

Staff member
Yup, that's OCD in a nutshell!

Nothing weird about it, it's quite normal for us ;)

I always have to wash my hands twice!

When cooking, I wash them every time I touch some new ingredient for the dish (Bear in mind, the prepared ingredients have usually been washed beforehand by myself).

Last edited:

Fin

I do the same thing. I have to have people tell me that 'yes its locked/shut'. Some days when I know what im doing and feel crap about it ill say to myself 'god the OCD is going off today' usually its way worse if im stressed. Its almost like even tho I have locked up and checked my brain says 'I don't believe you..best check again'. I feel your pain lol.

JohnDee

I'm glad to know it's not weird :D
I don't have to wash my hands twice but I do have to arrange my stuff in perfect order, like books in size, thickness, topics and colours or pencils, pens all sort of stuff. I find myself wishing everything was one size lol

yesman

Lol I have these moments too. Sometimes I would check my doors at night to see if they're locked, and once I turn my back away to go to bed, I would start obsessing about whether the locked door was a delusion!

ImNotMyIllness

That was one of my earlier OCD manifestations that I was able to beat. I remember being in bed wide awake wondering if I locked the doors and turned off the stove. So, I would then go out of my bed and check them......I would turn one knob and count: 1,2,3 next knob 1,2,3....next knob 1,2,3. Okay, they're turned off, time to go back to bed. Then I would lay down and get comfortable...Ahhhhh. Eyes, immediately open up. Wait, what if in my haste to make sure I turned off the knobs I accidentally turned one on? I didn't see any fire but maybe the gas is leaking, which can lead to an EXPLOSION! OMG! I need to make sure......1,2,3.......1,2,3.....Back to bed. Yeah, you guessed it, back to the stove!

This went on for 2 weeks. I was so exhausted. I thought to myself, this is insane! I can't go on like this! So, there I was in bed. The question surfaced again. Did you really turn off the stove? So, as usual, I checked. 1, 2,3 . Finally back in bed. Then the question that is specific only to OCD sufferers. Maybe you really didn't turn it off??...How do you know?!

Right then and there, I turned it around! That's where I beat my OCD! I thought to myself. You're right OCD, maybe I turned it back on? Maybe, my eyes deceived me. BUT, will it make a difference if I go back? Will I feel better? NO! Even if I go back 1000 times, I will NOT feel better. SO OCD, why in the hell would I go back?! If the house blows up, let it blow up! I am not doing this anymore because in the end, I can NEVER go back enough times. I'M DONE. This is madness and I refuse to participate any longer!

.....And so I went to sleep and lived happily ever after. Well, the last part is untrue. But, I did go to sleep and never really worried again.

DISCLAIMER: I'm still anxious about the stove. But, probably no more than most people. Before going to bed, I do check. I might even turn the knob and count 1,2,3 if I'm particularly anxious that day. BUT, I rarely, if ever go back! Only once in a blue moon now. For me, that's success! I don't ruminate about the stupid stove or door locks. I check, lock the door, and go back to sleep. <Cue in Snoring> :)

Last edited:

ImNotMyIllness

I think later, I will turn my post into a thread. I want as many people to see it as possible. Had I not stopped that day, I could have done it for years!

OCDd

yep this is normal ocd, don't worry checking ocd is a common one and if you want you can seek counseling if you havent already. it will help