What are some good places to approach strangers?

Moses199

trolley and a few trolley stations. I like these places because the people are stationary (not walking somewhere) so they are more willing to carry on with a convo instead of rejecting me because they are busy. Libraries/bookstores are a good places to find stationary people, however i don't like it because it's quite and people can hear me.

Do you guys have any recommendations of other good places?
The places must have stationary people and be busy with people.

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
A place where you huv something in common with the people there is a good start. An art class for example. Having the same hobby helps. Or music concerts, I struck up a short, but decent conversation with a girl who looked a similar age to me when I went to see AC/DC in Glasgow last summer.

Megaten

You can also use Meetup.com for opportunities to be around people of similar interests like Graeme1988 suggested. Its not a dating site, but its still an opportunity for contact where people may not be guarded. For instance one group in my town is called Triad Night Life. And I guess people get together for drinks and convo out on the town.

A cemetery? Lots of people going nowhere in cemeteries. But seriously, I'd suggest somewhere that the same people attend regularly - a class, a market, a church, ??. I don't think people in public generally like being approached by strangers for conversations, but if you're a familiar face then they'd be more accepting

Bronson99

You can also use Meetup.com for opportunities to be around people of similar interests like Graeme1988 suggested. Its not a dating site, but its still an opportunity for contact where people may not be guarded. For instance one group in my town is called Triad Night Life. And I guess people get together for drinks and convo out on the town.

Meetups are not for socially anxious, painfully shy or introverted, though. That said, I haven't tried it. But that's what I've heard from other forums. The usual story is like, say, 20 of 30 people signed up all arrive at once.. many of them are loud or extroverted and monopolize the conversation. The shy and introverted get to sit in the corner. ^_^

Moses199

The reason why i don't want places where i will see the same people is because i have Simultaneity Phobia (My thread: http://www.socialphobiaworld.com/are-you-scared-of-your-neighbors-making-sounds-61157/) which make me believe people are uncomfortable of my presence. So the more times i see the same people, the more i feel the are noticing my nervous energy and picking up on it.

But meetup.com is defiantly something i would do for exposure if i didn't have this simultaneity phobia (I know it's limiting belief but it's not an easy thing to bear). I would suggest anyone is with general SA to do meetup for exposure. It's probably would be in my top 3 places to go for exposure.

Last edited:

Kiwong

Sporting events barracking for the same team
Fun runs
Going to see bands
Long haul plane flight- a few people have struck up conversation with me on planes.

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
Meetups are not for socially anxious, painfully shy or introverted, though. That said, I haven't tried it. But that's what I've heard from other forums. The usual story is like, say, 20 of 30 people signed up all arrive at once.. many of them are loud or extroverted and monopolize the conversation. The shy and introverted get to sit in the corner. ^_^

I've seen meetup groups for socially anxious people too. Looked ok and was intending to go, but other things happened and now don't feel the need too.

Megaten

Eeh...i cant lie and say I use it myself. I signed up with the intent of making new friends in groups for geeks, but I've not had it in me to actually attend. It's been a point of great frustration to me too. It's like older I get the harder it is to get out.

Last edited:

slimjim119

A cemetery? Lots of people going nowhere in cemeteries. But seriously, I'd suggest somewhere that the same people attend regularly - a class, a market, a church, ??. I don't think people in public generally like being approached by strangers for conversations, but if you're a familiar face then they'd be more accepting

I've been approached by strangers in the cemetery for conversation. Always friendly people and I didn't mind at all. I've approached people myself. But as others have mentioned I think concerts and sporting events are great ideas.

williamreinsch

Maybe find a place where you have a interested and wonder about. I go up to london a lot on my own and wonder about the museums. Not having the pressure of 'I have to talk to people' and just going for a wonder helps in the end to actually start conversations. I end up having many conversations and they are easy because in the museums theres something to talk about. There's a shared interested and it doesn't feel forced. Especially since most of the time it's not me striking up the conversation :)

RegalSin

In a classroom ( my cousins, and grandparents met that way ), in a bar ( seriously how many losers are there ), at work, sometimes the guys in the office wants to talk about stuff, inside a religious/cultural gathering events ( that is where my mom met my pops ), At a social get together ( a party ), on the bus or bustop ( my grandpa and his girlfriend ). I can't really think of things, but usually people will pair off. Outside ( usually when I was younger, but as an older person meh ).

Talking in restrooms people might take you the wrong way sometimes.

Last edited: