What are you, deaf?

scissorhands

I remember clearly when I was in grade 9 in gym class, a nightmare to anyone with SP, standing in line to shoot a basketball in some type of activity, trying not to be noticed, a peer in line behind me decided to humiliate me in front of the others by drilling me with questions like "what is wrong with you? are you deaf? you must be deaf. maybe you are retarded and no one knows yet because you don't talk. do you even know how to talk? can you even hear me deafie?"

I stood there frozen and it hurt me so much, I wanted to punch him in the face and kick his ass. 9 years later I still would like to kick his ass.

What pissed me off the most was after he humiliated me in front of everyone he went about the class laughing and smiling, chatting it up with everyone, like nothing significant had just occured, as if he didn't just rob me of my dignity and self esteem.

blue

:(
As a teen i had an experience like that when i was being quiet in a group and a lad started shouting at me to speak and everyone was laughing at me........i just froze too i couldnt say a word, i still think of it sometimes now it really hurts and im 27! :oops:

Its a sign of their own weakness, it takes a better person to ignore it...........even when it hurts like mad.

DaDahhhhDaDaDa

Similar experiences for me as well, it's difficult stuff and I hope you coped with it. What blue is saying is right, the two who teased me the most happened to be both depressed themselves. One had both severe SA and openly talked about being depressed, cutting and taking drugs and the like.
The other hated himself because he believed he didn't identify with any gender, and I remember he used to stalk and humiliate people, particularly girls, at my school. He had some weird philosphy against women (you wouldn't believe some of the stuff I've seen him do).

Both dropped out of school and I've only briefly passed them on the street a few times. :?

recluse

There's no worse place for a social phobic than the gym class. You get all the popular jocks and the worst teachers of all. Once in shool one teacher in particular who i hated so much was doing the register. He called out my name and i answered ''here!'', i knew for sure that he had heard me but he humuliated me by asking out my name again, and again to get me to answer louder, i never felt so small in my life. That's one reason i hate sports to this day, another reason is that everyone picked on me in team sports such as soccer. The one sport i did quite well in was throwing the javelin.

Zipper

If I had children, I would like to teach them to speak out against cruelty when things like this happened.

of_darkness

I occasionaly think I'm pretty good with situations like that and also lucky, as they don't seem to happen much and people tend to 'respect' me in a way that I'm a nice enough person in their eyesnot to make fun of (too much...)

But the other day in class waiting for the teacher to ruen up, the most irritating guy I know said something. He's the kina guy who's quite clever, and goes through times when you can have a serious conversation, and the next moment is being stupid! I don't HATE him, he's never done anything wrong but he's just...so wrong in he way he says somethings.

He just said "hey, tell me to shut up. Say shut up Ed"

I sort of mumbled in a confused way, why would I tell him that? So i feebly said shut up, and he just did the arm gesture and said 'yessss' , as though he had got me to speak out,.....what a fool, i just tend to ignore him, probably giving off the wrong impression....

sigh

PhantomPod

^ I got a lot of things like that. I mean, luckily I didn't get made fun of much and people just left me alone in school. But there were times where people would just randomly ask things like, "why are you so quiet? Why don't you talk?" and would tried to get me to talk and would then be all celebratory when I did like, "haha I got the quiet girl to talk!"

shadowcopy

Hi, this is my first post.
I also had similar experiences at school. I wish I could talk about it, but I can't. I don't think I'll ever get over them.
I think the worst thing is when people try to win your trust, and then just as they gain even the most tiny bit of it, they turn on you.

I wish I went to your school, PhantomPod, to get left lone was all I ever wanted. But that was not to be.

(edited 21/OCT/2007)