What do women think about guys who make threads about what women think about?

Waybuloo

Do you feel they categorize 'women' as a single, mass entity?

Does it feel like you're being stereotyped?

Do you feel that the OP will still get useful information regardless?

Do you think these threads are just silly sometimes?

These are important questions and I need to know!

:confused:

I think that regardless of what the OP thinks on any issue posed, the male posters thereafter always seem to think negatively of women (that they are critical, only want confident guys with hot bodies) and hence come across somewhat bitter. Of course there are exceptions but the rest just go the predictable way. I don't find that offensive because it's understandable when you have limited to no contact with women and when you're on the receiving end of stereotyped gender portrayals in the media, and add to that some low self esteem. If you think about it, a lot of threads are silly.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
I think that regardless of what the OP thinks on any issue posed, the male posters thereafter always seem to think negatively of women (that they are critical, only want confident guys with hot bodies) and hence come across somewhat bitter. Of course there are exceptions but the rest just go the predictable way. I don't find that offensive because it's understandable when you have limited to no contact with women and when you're on the receiving end of stereotyped gender portrayals in the media, and add to that some low self esteem. If you think about it, a lot of threads are silly.
I think you have some very valid points there, Waybuloo. Gotta love the smart chicks. :D

Well, I'm guessing that the thread I started was the one which triggered this one.

I made that thread because here, unlike IRL, I'm able to ask women what they think (specifically about men with any romantic experience whatsoever). I wanted to knew the opnion of several individuals, and somewhat I did it.

I concluded that most women with any form of SA found a the lack of social experience of a man as a good or an irrelevant thing, probably because they can undestand and identify with the situation.

I asked because the times I heard people IRL talking about people without social experience (not about me, and most of the times were conversations I overheard), always the attitude was like "the person is a freak, a loser, a grouch, a psycho, why can't he be social if it isn't a big deal, I don' want to be around somene so boring" and crap like that.

I mostly confirmed my original idea. I'm way more likely to get involved in a meaningful relationshipwith a woman if she has/had some form of SA.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
Well, I'm guessing that the thread I started was the one which triggered this one.

I made that thread because here, unlike IRL, I'm able to ask women what they think (specifically about men with any romantic experience whatsoever). I wanted to knew the opnion of several individuals, and somewhat I did it.

I concluded that most women with any form of SA found a the lack of social experience of a man as a good or an irrelevant thing, probably because they can undestand and identify with the situation.

I asked because the times I heard people IRL talking about people without social experience (not about me, and most of the times were conversations I overheard), always the attitude was like "the person is a freak, a loser, a grouch, a psycho, why can't he be social if it isn't a big deal, I don' want to be around somene so boring" and crap like that.

I mostly confirmed my original idea. I'm way more likely to get involved in a meaningful relationshipwith a woman if she has/had some form of SA.
People love to talk crap about other people, especially if they're different. People also tend to change their minds about stuff if they have reason to, and they're hypocritical besides--especially those who talk the most crap.

Absolutely everyone has flaws and problems. If a girl decides she likes you, and wants an explanation for your strange behavior, she may be willing to deal with it. Maybe her last boyfriend was into hard drugs and yelling at her--the flaw of SA would be a welcome change. Maybe her last boyfriend cheated on her all the time. She might be delighted by the idea that you have a hard time talking to women.

Try not to assume anything. A girl with SA could be very difficult to find and to have a relationship with. The ones on the net are usually far away, and if there are any near you they're likely hiding in their apartment. ;)

Tiercel

I think women (or at least the women here) realize that guys who make threads about what women think about haven't the slightest clue what women think about. I think such women realize that most guys on this site probably don't have the best track record with women, so they try to figure out how to improve their chances with women without actually taking any.

Though not a woman, I once wore a dress to school. So maybe I'm slightly qualified to answer?

caringsoul

Banned
i think that they dont understand woman, and has already judge woman as 1 personality. and might not understand woman even after a woman has posted her opinion. hes more likely going to listen to the stereotype of what woman are, even if another woman say something else. thats what i think.

mikebird

Banned
This is not relationships in a nutshell, but I think it's possible that men might think of a woman in terms of a generic / default as immature, because they have a different viewpoint, and women might start with a new bloke as immature; so a relationship can flourish by building from there

I find it curious that there aren't a million similar threads about what guys think... wait, that's because we already know all they think about is sex :rolleyes:::p:

I know you meant this to be a humerous kinda statement, but you've hit the nail on the head with the problem ive faced. It really feels like no matter how sincere I am with a girl, or how polite and honest, I can see them thinking; " this guy is really trying hard to get some booty" I seriously think that if a guy asks a girl a question about an eggplant in the grocery store, they get in the car and text their girlfriend and say; " omg, you aren't gonna believe it, this stranger just came on to me in the fresh market"! Yeh girl, he asked about eggplant but you know what he wanted!! This is extremely frustrating and has honestly made me stop socializing with women because "were all dogs, and just want to hit it and move on" yeh, ill admit that its a topic that will eventually arise, but SOME of us old dogs have a little class...

dragonoth

As a woman I believe we are stereotyped but at the same time I don't take offence. Sometimes, if it's clearly done on purpose, I find it funny, e.g. Call of Duty for women with an iron on the cover. Also, some of our stereotypes are true. We can be irrational and we can overreact and we can be very sensitive and hopelessly romantic. I believe all these things make life more interesting for men :p
The only thing I would say critically about when guys make these sorts of threads is that they shouldn't follow everything anyone says by the letter. Go out and talk to women yourself to form your own opinions. Much more informative, as the OP has said, and helps your confidence.

A86

stereotypes imply that something is common to me. there may always be an exception, but stereotypes have to originate from somewhere.

I think though that people have a tendency to copy other peoples ideas in a very one eyed fashion, believing it to be true because their peers believe its true. So when things do change, it takes a stupid amount of time for it to become accepted that the facts are wrong.

Minty

I think they're just curious and genuinely interested, and that's a good thing.

But it's kind of weird.

Because I have a lot more in common with anyone on this forum suffering from SA (regardless of sex or gender) than I do with the average woman. I have more in common with the guy asking the question than the average girl you'd pull out of a bar, for example.

I identify as a woman and I love my gender, but I rarely think about being a woman. I think about being a social phobic all of the time, though. So it's weird when I'm asked "What do you think about ____ as a woman?" But it's really easy to answer questions like, "What do you think about ____ as someone suffering from SA?"

But maybe it's just me though.

Flowers-Of-Bloom

I think there are way too many threads on gender-related issues, period. SA seems to make us bitter and cynical when it comes to the opposite sex. And it's not just the men, because, as a woman, I'm as cynical as hell when regarding the male population and I have some negative stereotypes of my own. It's a defence mechanism.

WeirdyMcGee

There is still a long way to go on the road to equality.
We are different, yes - but so much more the same.
I think that's just something we should all keep in mind... for every person who likes different things from you; there is one person who has similar likes.

On a slightly different note--- in real life I'm used to being judged by my face and treated badly for it; people assuming I am wealthy or spoiled or stupid or bitchy-- just because of how I look.
When I come here and see all of the similar threads and posts, about how women are all superficial and stupid and bitchy; it hurts.
It hurts alot.
I might put up with it in real life with people who do not have the same phobias and anxieties as I do- people who don't understand... but I come here for some level of understanding and being told that I MUST be 'that type' because all women are/pretty much, is painful and just furthers my self hatred and fear of being judged by people.

So, what do I think of men who make threads about women?
They want to understand-- so it's a good chance to educate them: we are all people.
That's all I could possibly say.
We're looking at eachother as if we're totally different when we really aren't-- we all have one thing in common if nothing else.

O'Killian

We can be irrational and we can overreact and we can be very sensitive and hopelessly romantic.

Wait, wait wait wait.

This describes me.

I'm not female.

Am I doing it wrong?

Seriously, though, it has been repeated almost ad nauseam, but we're all human. Sure there's differences, physical and social, but there's a lot more common ground than not. Maybe I'm just happily sheltered but the way people argue on and on about this kinda thing has always baffled me.

psych

WMG, I hear ya. I seem to have very little in common with 80% - 90% of American women.
I'm a horror fiction lover, & I hate pop music. I never wear pink, in fact, it makes my eyes hurt...

To answer the OP's question...
I think that a guy making a thread asking about women is normal. Especially a guy dealing with SA. How else besides experience are you going to find out or know stuff?

WeirdyMcGee

WMG, I hear ya. I seem to have very little in common with 80% - 90% of American women.
I'm a horror fiction lover, & I hate pop music. I never wear pink, in fact, it makes my eyes hurt...

haha
SAME-- same... oh! and same!
Love horror-- not into pop/popular music-- a real believer that little girls shouldn't be made to wear PINK everything all the time unless they really want to. Pink is over-rated. I can't wear pink.

On the contrary though; I've met quite a few girls who think the same way. Love horror, not into pop music, not into pink...
I think it may be an assumption we make that 80-90% of women are different from us, though.
Perhaps the women who are different are only pretending that they have 'popular likes' because of peer pressure and stereotyping?
Maybe?

psych

Maybe... Idk, I've been socially attacked by lots of women over the years. Women scare me.

Flowers-Of-Bloom

Yeah, I'm pretty much in agreement with WeirdyMcGee and Psych.

I also hated pink when I was a child and I still do (I swear I'll never be caught dead in that hideous colour!). I also hate chick flicks/romantic movies, pop music, shopping etc so I had to pretend to like all the girly things in highschool so that I could blend in and have "friends". Stereotypes and peer pressure are a pain in the ass.

MrJones

I just try not to think... things are easier that way :D

We are all different, trying to understand people in general is not good, I think, because we will always find something different.

MrSunday

Meh just treat everyone as individuals. Just adopt this principle and life becomes so much easier to deal with.