what do you think of dating sites?

HHDisturbed

I considered them when I was single, even browsed thru some of them. What I found is that there are too many phonies out there.

You are right outsider. There are a lot of fakes and phonies out there. I got really good at spotting them from a mile away! My profile would evolve over time from experiences I had and to avoid meeting an "attilla the hun". (Which only happened once!)

I think you could find somebody but the search to find someone good would be much more difficult than it should be.

Anything good worth having is worth the effort. You only truly fail if you never put forth the effort and try. Finding the needle in the haystack is not easy. However, it helps if you have a really big magnet. (Pun totally intended again).

OceanMist

opinions?? who here has tried them and did it work for anyone?

I have a bunch of stories. I won't get into all of them though.

I used 4 online dating sites for the past 2 years and went on date(s) with about 17 or so different women.

I got great experience out of it and has some good times but i'm at a point where I want to take my "game" into the real world where there are more women which means more better looking women.

I had trouble finding a woman that I was physically attracted to on those sites. Maybe that's just my standards are a bit above average.

I got sick of how the only attractive women, which were the lower % of women on there, were getting swarmed by messages.

Something I noticed that was interesting is that I believe that women respect courage in a man, and the women on the dating sites seem to not respect a man as much when he's sending a message on a computer. Most women want a man to approach her in person.

That's what is dumb about the dating sites, when you send a message she can't watch your face, she can't feel your real life body language in front of her, she can't get a real life sexual vibe from you, and she can't hear what your voice sounds like and she can't hear if your tonality is confident or not.

More complaints I have are some women rigged their pictures and didn't show updated pics of their body, then i meet them and they are heavier than their pics.

Still, though, I know what i said was negative mostly, but there are positives from online dating and it's a great way to build confidence and i do believe if someone lives in a big city they can even find someone on there, a soulmate perhaps. It's easier to "talk" to women because you can send messages to many women which is much different than walking up to women in a grocery store, bar, club, or on the street. Approaching in person is much harder and more invading to the woman.

I still do think, though, that for me, I may have to do approaches in real life if a want to find a girl that I like, because the past 2 years and all those girls and I never found one that i would even say could have been g/f material.

HHDisturbed

Still, though, I know what i said was negative mostly, but there are positives from online dating and it's a great way to build confidence and i do believe if someone lives in a big city they can even find someone on there, a soulmate perhaps. It's easier to "talk" to women because you can send messages to many women which is much different than walking up to women in a grocery store, bar, club, or on the street. Approaching in person is much harder and more invading to the woman.

I still do think, though, that for me, I may have to do approaches in real life if a want to find a girl that I like, because the past 2 years and all those girls and I never found one that i would even say could have been g/f material.

There are a lot of people who are not into going to nightclubs and bars. As for me, I never wanted it to be my 2nd home and therefore avoided meeting women in bars/clubs. That quickly starts to narrow opportunities but I'd much rather ask a woman out under sober circumstances. (Then take her out for dinner and drinks).

Also, age plays a factor too. It was 14 years ago and I was in my early 30's after going through a divorce when I tried internet dating. I met several attractive women online but I was also searching for substance. I desired a beautiful woman with goals, career minded, intelligent, stable, a bad girl in the bedroom and not looking for someone to support her. Internet dating provided me with a way to find these things out quickly before ever meeting face-to-face. It narrowed it down to the ones that had potential without wasting time on those that had no chance. I am picky too! When we would meet for the first time it was exciting because you already knew quite a bit about each other and had endless things to talk about. I thought it was a lot of fun to dating that way. And if it didnt work out then no big deal because I had little invested in it. NEXT!

To reiterate, when it comes to internet dating, I hit the jackpot. I found the love of my life and we will be together till the end.

Last edited:

vickiekitties

I'd never consider trying those, even 100 lbs heavier I never had a hard time finding a date. Although I have gotten the impression that the guys that hit on me might be the kind that hit on any girl. :/ Yuck.

Kiwong

because women are a part of the world

and they are wonderful to explore :thumbup:

Car accidents are also a part of the world. Like relationships, I am glad they happen to other people.

Last edited:

PheonixBomb

I tried OKCupid, sent 50 messages, got one reply. Maybe I should give it another few attempts.
Perhaps I'm just ugly.

SonicMan

In my experience, it's not greatly successful. Girls just never bother to reply. I read their profiles and only message them if we have something in common. I send a nice message, talking about something they have mentioned in their profile and I get ignored every time. On their profiles, they usually say: "Fed up of men who message about sex and don't read my profile." Well I did read your profile, and I sent you a genuine, friendly message and you still ignore me. I do wonder if all female dating profiles are fake sometimes.

MikeyC

If you want to be successful, you really have to find a way to stand out from the crowd.
I'm on eHarmony and I have had little luck. Messaged a number of girls but haven't gotten anything back. What do you suggest I do to stand out from the rest? Might be good to get a female's opinion on this. :thumbup:

Silatuyok

Has it ever worked for you? Have you ever met someone worthwhile on there?

Yes, we've been together four years and I'm marrying him next October.

I'm on eHarmony and I have had little luck. Messaged a number of girls but haven't gotten anything back. What do you suggest I do to stand out from the rest? Might be good to get a female's opinion on this. :thumbup:

Honestly, I think photos are the secret weapon that gets way underutilized. I don't know about eharmony, but on match you can upload something like 20 photos, and I definitely maxed out my limit. Let's face it, reading profile after profile is boring, and after a while they all start to blend together. It's very hard to stand out in text. But a good collection of photos can take everything you want to say about yourself and make it vivid and real. One photo can spark a dozen conversations. The clothes you wear, the things you are doing, the people (and especially animals) you are with, your environment: these are all things that will give prospective dates a clue as to who you are and whether or not they are interested in you. Some of the photos I uploaded weren't even of myself. Places you've been and things you like can also be fodder for display.
Of course, with all of this, you still want to have good text in your profile, but I still think that photographs are the key.

Odo

Banned

Congrats on that! :thumbup:

I don't think I could ever use a dating site. I've tried a few but I have a maybe-not-so-irrational fear of posting pictures of myself online.... it makes me feel like I'm in that 'remove your mask' scene in Eyes Wide Shut.

Plus, it seems like a lot of people on those sites are younger or really have their stuff together, and the only things I can think to say about myself are really negative.

MikeyC

Fantastic! :thumbup:

Honestly, I think photos are the secret weapon that gets way underutilized. I don't know about eharmony, but on match you can upload something like 20 photos, and I definitely maxed out my limit. Let's face it, reading profile after profile is boring, and after a while they all start to blend together. It's very hard to stand out in text. But a good collection of photos can take everything you want to say about yourself and make it vivid and real. One photo can spark a dozen conversations. The clothes you wear, the things you are doing, the people (and especially animals) you are with, your environment: these are all things that will give prospective dates a clue as to who you are and whether or not they are interested in you. Some of the photos I uploaded weren't even of myself. Places you've been and things you like can also be fodder for display.
Of course, with all of this, you still want to have good text in your profile, but I still think that photographs are the key.
Photos, eh? That might work. I only have three up there, so I'll find some other interesting ones and upload them. I don't know if they'll work, since all my matches have already made an opinion of me, but there's always a chance. Thanks for the tip, Marie. :)

How to stand out? Be very good looking lol!
We can't all look like you. ;)

Bronson99

That's a shame, because I was secretly hoping for a relationship with you. I say the things that no other guy will say, because apparently "the hard truth" is extremely unpopular. (Guess that explains my lack of popularity, then.)

Bronson99

Hmmm, good advice. But what to do if you have very few interests, and the ones you do have are things like drawing, watching movies, video games, etc, nothing exciting? I also like to take walks, but that is not much help here.

Kiwong

Who knows Bronson, your match might have those interests. You'd have a lot in common, and they are not uninteresting.

AGR

I came to realize that dating sites are pretty much like real life on "steroids" I mean girls want you to impress them with a few messages,I ask you who does that?
Players that's who,you don't actually get to know them at first,pretty much like real life,girls go for players before you have any chance at all,later they may look at you,but online I don't think so they just discard you,but it could be good to meet shy girls I dunno.
As for the girls side it's probably like that too,guys only go for the prettiest and the others get ignored.
Still didn't give up yet,I only need one to go right :-/