What is the answer?

hyp-hi

Hi, I'm new here. 24 year old guy. I have HH of the hands and other parts of the body, but the biggest problem is the hands. I've had it for about 10 years or so.

I have been doing research online, which is how I found this forum. It's comforting to know there are others out there like us with the same problem. Through all my research I still have not found an answer to HH.

I thought about getting the ETS surgery, but found out health insurance won't cover it unless you have tried like every other solution for many months. Also after reading testimonials about people who were unhappy with the results, I'm not too keen on pursuing that option.

So I finally went to the doctor and got a prescription for Drysol. It kinda works, but it's definitely not a cure. I think it might work better for mild cases of HH, but for me, I still sweat through it.

As for other options, it looks like some of them work for some people, but there is no consensus on a solution, which is frustrating. HH has such a negative impact on my life, I just wish there was an answer.

hyp-hi said:
Hi, I'm new here. 24 year old guy. I have HH of the hands and other parts of the body, but the biggest problem is the hands. I've had it for about 10 years or so.

I have been doing research online, which is how I found this forum. It's comforting to know there are others out there like us with the same problem. Through all my research I still have not found an answer to HH.

I thought about getting the ETS surgery, but found out health insurance won't cover it unless you have tried like every other solution for many months. Also after reading testimonials about people who were unhappy with the results, I'm not too keen on pursuing that option.

So I finally went to the doctor and got a prescription for Drysol. It kinda works, but it's definitely not a cure. I think it might work better for mild cases of HH, but for me, I still sweat through it.

As for other options, it looks like some of them work for some people, but there is no consensus on a solution, which is frustrating. HH has such a negative impact on my life, I just wish there was an answer.

Hi, welcome to the forum :)

You're right on all your points really. Strong antiperspirants like Drysol are the first thing to try, but like you say it doesn't usually work very well especially if your sweating is heavy. They are very good on the armpits though. When I tried a similar product called Driclor it also made the skin on my palms start to flake off which wasn't very nice, plus the sweat would still seep through.

ETS surgery is more of a last resort option because like you've read some people have had a lot of complications, some of which they feel are worse than their original condition. It may work out well for some people though. There are a lot of disagreements about the surgery.

To touch on your last point, for people with hand and foot sweating I think the general consensus is that iontophoresis treatments are by far the best option. It has worked very well for loads of people on these forums with ranging severity of sweating, its cheap compared to having botox or ETS, you can do the treatments yourself and there's no side effects. If it works I think the only negative is that you have to do treatments every week or so depending on the person, but I think thats a small price to pay for dry hands :)

Here's some more info: http://www.sweathelp.org/English/PFF_Treatment_Iontophoresis.asp

hyp-hi

Hey Pinker, thanks for the reply. I'm going to look into getting one of those iontophoresis machines. Do you know if health insurance will cover those?