What makes someone popular, online?

onehandclapping

I would say popular interests have something to do with this, popular taste in music, interest in the lastest tv series and being passionate about that and the stars of these shows and bands. that's something I have noticed.

S_Spartan

I would say popular interests have something to do with this, popular taste in music, interest in the lastest tv series and being passionate about that and the stars of these shows and bands. that's something I have noticed.

You make a good point. It helps to have some shared experience with other people even if it's music or TV shows.

Bronson99

I am confused then...are you saying you cannot be kind? As in examples of things to say like "I am sorry you feel bad." "I sure hope your mom gets better" or any number of millions of combos of things to say to someone in a conversation, in which you listen to them and hear them tell you about their life.

I find that is the easiest way to get someone to enjoy your company- listen and be even better be empathetic. This is pretty easy to do online.

Bronson,are you perhaps autistic to some degree?

I think you're getting a little closer here.

But first let me confirm your first suspicion is incorrect.. this idea that I simply don't provide a sympathetic response to one who needs it. That's territory I have covered pretty well (as mentioned before, I do have empathy for the plight of others.. it tears me up to read when someone is striking out in life, or that they have an incurable health condition, etc.) so of course I will offer up, at least, some simple compassionate remark when I'm involved in the conversation. So, at least this is not my problem.

But I find people (online and off, but in this example, let's just say "online") are looking for more sophistication, they seem to have higher expectations than just simple nice remarks, which is often all I know how to give. That's the problem: what else am I supposed to provide? I suspect it is some kind of mainstream wit and sly humor; or otherwise informed, knowledgeable advice gleaned from extensive life experience. I don't have either one. I suspect this is what I'm up against.

A little autistic may be correct. There's many ways a touch of autism can impair social skills; one way that seems to be especially notable in my case is if I haven't experienced something, I can't seem to provide any insight or any kind of helpful advice. It seems to me the average person can improvise, or somehow get around the gap in experience or knowledge.. this continues to elude me, however.

KooKies

1) Popular forum-users usually post very frequently, and can be found in almost every sub-forum, and often write long posts. Or, if not that, they usually post frequently but write very short and witty posts, which (to me) is often pointless banter.. but for whatever reason, it is well-responded to and does confer popularity, over time. May I now specify--this is not about this forum--this is about every forum that ever existed, because these patterns have been observed by me in *all of them* !

2) Popular forum users will usually have colorful profile pages.. many of them will have a picture of themselves there, if not 10-20 available in an album!

3) Similar to point #1, popular forum-users very often will play the forum games religiously

4) Popular forum users will often be found in the "official forum chat" if there is one, or within the Skype group (if there is one).

5) Popular forum users will often band together within a clique, and will tend to condescend to, or simply ignore, anyone that just *one* member of that clique doesn't like.

Now... let me get this out of the way: None of this would bother me if it wasn't happening in the same forums that folks with social difficulties use! And also, in defense of *this* specific forum: I have seen less of this behavior in this place, than I have in most other forums.

But, that is beside the point. The point is to help me--and anyone else who has this problem of "always being the third wheel"--figure out what we are doing wrong, so we start doing something right!

We can start with the 5 points I listed above, and try to understand *what it is exactly* about such things, that somehow magically confers enhanced status within the group.

Personally: I have no interest in any "group dynamics" BS, don't want to put an actual picture of myself in my profile (anonymity anyone?), have zero interest in playing forum games (don't have the need or interest, nothing against those who do!), and most of all I never want to set foot in a chatroom or Skype group (I have been in chatrooms before and if you want to learn about nasty group behavior, go ahead and enter at your own risk!)

I'm, therefore, a bit more aloof and not interested in politics.. but it's an introvert's world online.. so why would my guarded personality seem to downgrade likability, every time?

Doh! I think I hit the wrong button. New here..:blushing:

I've had the experience of "being" popular online.

1) A) was an agoraphobic (I'm recovered), & I lived online & I did post a lot! Spending several hours/day posting on a forum or two or more. Usually health forums at the time. I posted, in an excited manner, happily, engaging with others. I had a lot of energy & didn't have any very real stresses in my life. I kept up with people's posts, so when they'd post a few days, weeks, or month's later, I genuinely KNEW what they were talking about & would acknowledge them. I never let people know about my health background, not until much later when I started to leave my confinements of aggy life. However, by that time, I had friends online. & I tended to attract a lot of other posters that were like me.

Also, I NEVER excluded any one person. I accepted all people, even if they'd only posted once, or never posted at all. **This is HUGE** Upon being new to a forum, I would explore every inch of it. Games, & I made myself a welcome wagon. I paid attention to all comments, all birthdays, & I was living the life that the forum upheld, so I had a ton of my own experiences to share.

2) I did, I had a very colorful profile page, the one place there wasn't much of a background to choose from, but I exaggerated my typing. For Example:

:applause:~~~!!!LEtuS GeT ExciTED!!!~~~:applause: woot woot!

I had a funky playlist & pictures you could go through. I also really LOVE looking into other people's lives & I would peruse all of the pictures. That was usually the very first thing I would do. This one site had about 6000+ pics, & I spent 2-3 weeks, going through all of them, commenting & liking (ahem..that was B4! it was a thing) It was just something I did. & than I'd hit up the chat on the forum. I wasn't big at the time on being on "real chat" however. Just the forum chat.

Another forum I was a part of at the time, I was able to have my own colorful background, music, sparkly gifs, ect ect. Plus I interacted with everyone on their pages too, by dropping comments & PAYING ATTENTION to them. To the point where we'd have HUGE convo's that moved to PM's & than it would go from there, you know? I would see them post, or they would see me (I was a bit of a excitable person/poster at those times)

A lot of these people they were also on, on a daily basis. I've known a lot of people that lived a life online such as I did. & they had real 3D lives.. I don't know how they did it. They must've felt so alone in their hecticness.

I rarely had any pictures of myself online. I showed myself from time to time, but have a lot of anxiety around that. It was rare that I did so.

3) sometimes :) I don't even think the one's that I gained I guess, popularity on, had games to play. Older one's did.

4) Wasn't my thing. The second place I was at, had one, & I tried it out, but the very young crowd hung out in there, & there was nothing going on.

5) It's sad, & it REALLY does matter where you are in your life, & what forums you're a part of.

Here & another forum I've joined in the last couple of years again...I tend not to make myself known. Eventually my post will be lost to hundreds of others. I like to post, have an opinion, & not go back to the thread. & not be remembered... if that makes sense, sometimes I just want to get lost in the crowd.

I guess if popularity is what one if after, than perhaps they're trying to be a part of something that isn't the right fit for them to begin with.

Later when I left those forums, & was beginning other chapters in my life, my anxieties, depression, paranoia, & embarrassments kicked in. (bare with me, I rarely end my thoughts) I made friends, that I added & spoke to off of the forums, I followed them & they followed me on other forums that were the same. Not that they were "followers" per se. I had someone write a poem about me too. People came to my aid when I was down, as I'd come to theirs over the years or months.

It just depends on what you do & how you do it. There's a right time & place for everything too. I find that if someone doesn't have the knowledge, advice, or a genuine sense of involvement than people tend to pick up on it too.

I don't like "cliquey" & I have been a part of those forums too & it is not nice to experience. There are ALWAYS going to be those, maybe that 1 or 2 people that think - that they can belittle you because you have less experience, & that the knowledge you hold are myths because you've not done enough in depth research to know the facts. Those are not nice people, online or off. They struggle with themselves.

I find that when I'm new to a forum, & that person with "17,354" *elite member* & joined in 2006, posts under their name, talks to me like I'm a nitwit in my VERY first post, where they can see I have an interest but it's not theirs & they talk down to me. I tend to get the feeling that, most other people that stick around on a place like that, & post regularly are going to be very similar & I don't care to mingle, & find somewhere else to go.

Okay, I went off, but I had to get that off my chest. I found your post very interesting!

A lot of the forums I've been a part of that were very uplifting & not degrading (depending on the percentage of youth at the time) I've found to be a most positive experience.

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
*no witty answer found, after searching*

... and to be honest, it really isn't obvious. I must be dense. Please illuminate me, then.

Well I don't think you're 'dense'.
But I do have a spare glowstick handy, Ill illuminate you if you like.. please bend over.. *puts rubber glove on* :bigsmile:

PugofCrydee

I am confused then...are you saying you cannot be kind? As in examples of things to say like "I am sorry you feel bad." "I sure hope your mom gets better" or any number of millions of combos of things to say to someone in a conversation, in which you listen to them and hear them tell you about their life.

I find that is the easiest way to get someone to enjoy your company- listen and be even better be empathetic. This is pretty easy to do online.

Bronson,are you perhaps autistic to some degree?

I totally agree with this.
It's not THAT hard to become more likable. You just have to come across as someone who does seem to care to some degree about what people are saying, perhaps just being a better listener and not coming across as argumentative.

Being able to say 'yea maybe I was wrong on that' is something some people have real trouble saying. People will tend to dislike someone who pretends to know it all.
No one knows it all and there's nothing wrong with coming across like that.
People like to feel engaged, that their opinions count for something when conversing with someone.
If you converse with someone, and all they hear is advice and opinions on where they went wrong, what mistakes they made, almost a power point presentation on the topic of conversation.. then people will not be interested in what you have to say. Being more light hearted and not attempting to be so factual is a good thing too.

Remember, you have asked people for their opinions on this subject, they have answered. Someone who is genuine about their intentions will take their advice on board, not dissect those well meaning opinions and try to make them invalid. Because you asked for those opinions, each one is valid.

Someone may think they know it all, but it's quite obvious when they dont.

Last edited:

onehandclapping

You make a good point. It helps to have some shared experience with other people even if it's music or TV shows.

I think its a bit of a double whammy, sort of like doubling your chances.

tv is a popular thing, a lot of the population have an interest in tv. if a person is interested in the latest and most popular shows on tv, I suspect they are guaranteed to find other people with that interest.

since a lot of people make bonds through shared interests it does make sense that they then become popular when they make these interests known. or wear them a bit like a badge of honour. it's just my take on it, from observing others,it seems to make logical sense. I tend to eschew most of the really popular things in life, so I tend to be excluded from this pattern.
:/

AlienGeranium

But I find people (online and off, but in this example, let's just say "online") are looking for more sophistication, they seem to have higher expectations than just simple nice remarks, which is often all I know how to give. That's the problem: what else am I supposed to provide? I suspect it is some kind of mainstream wit and sly humor; or otherwise informed, knowledgeable advice gleaned from extensive life experience. I don't have either one. I suspect this is what I'm up against.

I dunno if you're "supposed" to do anything, or if there's really a specific formula to attaining popularity. What a person is looking for depends on the person, and thus if you want to be a person they like, putting the effort into figuring out what makes them feel good and like a person is required I think. Someone like me, for example, tends to act like a know-it-all. So commending me on my good points is something that would probably get you into my good graces. Some people like it when they are able to engage in witty banter back and forth. Some people like it when they come on and are amused by a persons post because they have a similar sense of humor.

My point really is I think that what makes a person like you is relative to the person, and what makes you popular on a forum is relative to people who frequent it. It's not that they are following a formula, it's they're aware of other people. Hugs only make you popular with people who like hugs.

IGotSeoul

Same thing that makes someone popular offline, really. Online just offers comfort to some that would not have it otherwise.

Catalyst

This bothers me too. I was once popular on a forum I used to frequent. I was sort of a comedian for a while. Lots of people liked my jokes, added me as a friend, and messaged me regularly. It was good while it lasted. But when I was going through a rough patch in my life and struggling with serious depression, those so-called "friends" abandoned me. I was quickly replaced and forgotten. This has happened to me several times in real life too. People only seem to like me for as long as I can entertain them. The thing that kills me is that I was the type of person who would always be there to support my friends. People are so ****ing shallow.

Bronson99

This bothers me too. I was once popular on a forum I used to frequent. I was sort of a comedian for a while. Lots of people liked my jokes, added me as a friend, and messaged me regularly. It was good while it lasted. But when I was going through a rough patch in my life and struggling with serious depression, those so-called "friends" abandoned me. I was quickly replaced and forgotten. This has happened to me several times in real life too. People only seem to like me for as long as I can entertain them. The thing that kills me is that I was the type of person who would always be there to support my friends. People are so ****ing shallow.

Looks like you have it figured out, then. Just confirms what I thought. :thumbup:

Bronson99

Remember, you have asked people for their opinions on this subject, they have answered. Someone who is genuine about their intentions will take their advice on board, not dissect those well meaning opinions and try to make them invalid. Because you asked for those opinions, each one is valid.

Someone may think they know it all, but it's quite obvious when they dont.

Where is it here I come across as "knowing it all"? If so, it's all part and parcel of having an ana-lytical kind of style.. not having the kind of quick wit and charm that you and many others employ. I can be lighthearted at times, but that's not going to be most of the time. I really do believe it makes it easier for everyone, also, if we can avoid the clever conversation and say what we mean.. keep it literal.. cut to the chase, so to speak.

Disagreeing on a point doesn't mean I haven't read what someone said, or won't take any of the advice they offered. I responded to Molly's post in the way I did because I felt her point has greater complexity, and I would have liked some acknowledgement of that: for I do understand the basic principle of offering a kind word and support, and have discovered that it is not enough. People expect more. I go on to explain this point later on. I don't see why this is wrong?

Last edited:

Bronson99

I dunno if you're "supposed" to do anything, or if there's really a specific formula to attaining popularity. What a person is looking for depends on the person, and thus if you want to be a person they like, putting the effort into figuring out what makes them feel good and like a person is required I think. Someone like me, for example, tends to act like a know-it-all. So commending me on my good points is something that would probably get you into my good graces. Some people like it when they are able to engage in witty banter back and forth. Some people like it when they come on and are amused by a persons post because they have a similar sense of humor.

My point really is I think that what makes a person like you is relative to the person, and what makes you popular on a forum is relative to people who frequent it. It's not that they are following a formula, it's they're aware of other people. Hugs only make you popular with people who like hugs.

Great point.

But you know what, what you said above is only a part of the problem (I'm guilty of a lack of interest). The problem is I just don't understand other people. I thought this forum was a place where I could find others who don't understand people... IMHO social anxiety seems to be closely tied to this difficulty.. this "theory of mind" deficit I mentioned, but which has not been mentioned by anyone else since. As it turns out, folks like me seem to have a very minor presence here.

I almost feel at this point, just like has been done in other places like the ADD forums, there has to be some kind of implicit understanding that what we're seeing here is two different groups of people. That there's 2 different varieties of social anxiety going on here: 1) Folks who have social anxiety but no other deficit 2) Folks with other things going on, which interferes with their ability to comprehend social situations, to begin with. Obviously, I fall into the second group.

If you're part of the first group, you probably have wits, participate in multiple kinds of ways, and perhaps unintentionally hoard the attention (although, thankfully we haven't seen much of this lately here.) I don't judge you for being this way, but do envy your ability and I do tend to believe it translates into real life, which makes me scratch my head at times.

If you're part of the second group, you probably don't have a sharp wit, you probably have an inconsistent presence "post when I feel like it; not because I'm driven to make myself known"; you don't want to be the center of attention, and yet still feel slighted, because the attention given to the first group drowns your voice.

Last edited:
If you can't do that then be kind and understanding and a good listener. Those qualities will always win you friends anywhere you go.

These are not simple qualities anyone can just "fall back" on, if nothing else works.
^ I don't understand how someone can label being "kind and understanding and a good listener" as qualities that someone would use to "fall back on"?

Being kind and understanding are just default human qualities. It does not take much to listen to someone when they are talking and make them know that what they have said has been "heard and acknowledged" so to speak.

Being kind and understanding towards someone are inbuilt human traits, and actually are - in my opinion - extremely important to gaining a friend. They are also essential for gaining what you described in one of your posts as what you are seeking..."respect" and being "appreciated'.

Edit:...had to delete last question because I just found the answer to it in an earlier post of yours. :)

Last edited:

PugofCrydee

Where is it here I come across as "knowing it all"? If so, it's all part and parcel of having an ana-lytical kind of style.. not having the kind of quick wit and charm that you and many others employ. I can be lighthearted at times, but that's not going to be most of the time. I really do believe it makes it easier for everyone, also, if we can avoid the clever conversation and say what we mean.. keep it literal.. cut to the chase, so to speak.

Disagreeing on a point doesn't mean I haven't read what someone said, or won't take any of the advice they offered. I responded to Molly's post in the way I did because I felt her point has greater complexity, and I would have liked some acknowledgement of that: for I do understand the basic principle of offering a kind word and support, and have discovered that it is not enough. People expect more. I go on to explain this point later on. I don't see why this is wrong?

Bronson, being analytical is ok, nothing wrong with that kind of style. But maybe don't expect a lot of people to be overly receptive to it.
Th other side to that style is you can read too much into things. I know this because I have been guilty of it myself. People are drawn to things that make them feel good. Being criticized (whether real or perceived, with intent or unintentionally) is generally a negative experience for most.

I'm not criticizing you personally, or having a shot at you. And you think I have a 'quick wit and charm' that I employ? :eek:mg: if only you knew me... lol

In the end if you want more respect, gratitude, popularity etc etc, then you generally either become a nicer person or give the crowd what they want.

Personally I'd much rather be a nicer person. It actually works and can make you feel ok too :thumbup:

Deus_Ex_Lemur

Bronson, being analytical is ok, nothing wrong with that kind of style. But maybe don't expect a lot of people to be overly receptive to it.
Th other side to that style is you can read too much into things. I know this because I have been guilty of it myself. People are drawn to things that make them feel good. Being criticized (whether real or perceived, with intent or unintentionally) is generally a negative experience for most.

I'm not criticizing you personally, or having a shot at you. And you think I have a 'quick wit and charm' that I employ? :eek:mg: if only you knew me... lol

In the end if you want more respect, gratitude, popularity etc etc, then you generally either become a nicer person or give the crowd what they want.

Personally I'd much rather be a nicer person. It actually works and can make you feel ok too :thumbup:

This reply sucks. :p

^ that is what not to say. :p Kidding of course. I agree people don't want to be criticized constantly ESP a forum like this - analytical on words it can be difficult for peeps to not see/take some observations/etc. negatively or critically.

I've been also guilty of lack of interest - or more apathy maybe. Due to RL stuff. But I tried to never show it, not being fake but - mustering through. Truth is esp support forums who isn't a bit "selfish" in wanting to be heard and have their problems cared about because they lack that in RL. SO ppl respond to those who show "interest" or make them feel better - humor just happens to be universal thing that does that. But also people respond to different things. Mainly it is yeah more positive interest in their issues/needs and no one should feel ashamed of that. Or YOU wanting to get such recognition/etc.

My posts won't be quoted or ppl may not get my quirky brand of humor or care for my thoughts. I still post them. I try to be "me" online. But I learned not to take things personally then. Or let that hinder me from still posting thoughts/advice.

You also can't try to be popular in making that your main goal - it's like making a film to win an oscar - that will backfire on you. That doesn't mean an award and recognition is not motivation but that's underneath it. Or else it's like a house of cards.

I'm in the "film/entertainment" and SA is crap for being in that haha but it's true in RL the "popular" ppl on sets/work also it's divided by dept. many times. Aka cliques. Yeah they joke - they rib - they smile. And they're open in they seek out and interact. Usually longggg days, together short period but long hours so ppl respond to those who make them feel better then.

That applies online too. Only it may be "easier" for folks like me with SA to be more proactive here then RL.

HUMOR

So if humor is a big thing for you - you CAN learn some - imo we all have some sense of humor but humor is VAST! Tastes are VAST. You cannot expect to hit on all cylinders. Honestly find your humor however weird (I mean, obviously if not greatly offensive) but whatever I do/say quirky crap a lot - I still say it. I don't have great witty replies always or jokes, but I've learned some, if ppl get it or drawn to it cool if not, cool too. Easier here then RL but - yeah. :)

Also write down jokes ppl respond to. RL or here. I've done that because I don't have that naturally or a great memory for them or tell them well (in RL, since it's verbal a LOT easier to just write them :p BUT I write/save the smaller jokes I hear that ppl respond to - that don't require great charisma/set up. That's what I mean by learned, most ppl also I find do that, jokes are passed on, few ppl make unique new jokes, but they just may have a better way to tell 'em. :p And they aren't copyrighted, and I don't take credit if asked.

Bronson99

^ I don't understand how someone can label being "kind and understanding and a good listener" as qualities that someone would use to "fall back on"?

Being kind and understanding are just default human qualities. It does not take much to listen to someone when they are talking and make them know that what they have said has been "heard and acknowledged" so to speak.

Being kind and understanding towards someone are inbuilt human traits, and actually are - in my opinion - extremely important to gaining a friend. They are also essential for gaining what you described in one of your posts as what you are seeking..."respect" and being "appreciated'.

"Fall back" not as in some sort of sense, "I'm not naturally kind but since other avenues to popularity don't work, I'll just be kind instead".. is that what you saw in my post? I meant "fall back" as in forgetting wits and clever discussion, and instead concentrating on listening to others, empathizing, and such. And I said it's not simple because it isn't, for me. I've found there is a certain kind of timing that needs to be used in most social situations... a certain kind of "proper response" vs. "awkward" or "incorrect" response. Now beyond that, the person being listened to seems to be looking for you to give them advice... so, in essence, one of these "I'm sorry to hear about the problem your family member is having" does not show much besides basic politeness to the other party. It seems they want something more, and it's that something more--whatever it is--that I don't know how to give.

Again, this comes down to "theory of mind" or if no one bothers to look it up, this particular difficulty I have seems to be linked with the autistic spectrum. If anyone cares, this is a deficiency that literally causes one--myself, in this instance--to not be aware of the similarity of other minds. In other words, your mind is not like my mind; my mind is not like yours. It's impaired thinking. Why? Because, as we all know, all humans like the same things, want the same things. But I can't seem to assimilate that information into social situations, online or offline; if I could, then I would have the kind of SA most of you have, that I'll call "functional SA." :thumbup:

Bronson99

This reply sucks. :p

^ that is what not to say. :p Kidding of course. I agree people don't want to be criticized constantly ESP a forum like this - analytical on words it can be difficult for peeps to not see/take some observations/etc. negatively or critically.

I've been also guilty of lack of interest - or more apathy maybe. Due to RL stuff. But I tried to never show it, not being fake but - mustering through. Truth is esp support forums who isn't a bit "selfish" in wanting to be heard and have their problems cared about because they lack that in RL. SO ppl respond to those who show "interest" or make them feel better - humor just happens to be universal thing that does that. But also people respond to different things. Mainly it is yeah more positive interest in their issues/needs and no one should feel ashamed of that. Or YOU wanting to get such recognition/etc.

I appreciate your continued responses but honestly don't know what to say to them. There's an example of what I'm talking about.. btw. What am I supposed to say besides "thanks"? Writing is very, very draining at times for me and I don't have the mental energy to write anything more than a few sentences most of the time. And this goes even without being a busy bee.

I've got SA, I don't know how to interact with people, and I don't have the energy to even type an adequate response when I have more than enough time to do so. Guess I'll just have to rely on real-life popularity, then! :applause:

MollyBeGood

Have you tried speaking with someone experienced in helping people with autistic related social disorders?
It seems like that would help you and you seem like you are really needing some guidance from someone like that.
They may make you do exercises to help that part of your brain preform better. That would be a place to start.