What RELIGION are you?

dpr

Under Occam's Razor, I think it is likely an omnipotent, omniscient creator god does not exist, because the universe does not seem to need one to function. I don't know what is so dumb about assuming a negative until I have ANY reason to believe otherwise.

Sure, but you just used Occam's Razor to attempt to figure out how the human species DIDN'T arrive in this universe. So the "resolution" we have arrived at it "creationism is not likely." I thought atheists believe, "God does not exist and his creation of humans and our universe did not happen."

Am I wrong? If so... what's the difference between atheism and agnosticism?

I realize that no one can ever truly "know" how we got here or what happens to us when we die, but IMO, for someone to adhere to a belief system that does nothing more than reject the existence of God while offering no alternative theory is kind of ignorant. Especially if you think it is important enough to actually profess to everyone, "I'm an atheist." No offense to any atheists on this board, this is just my opinion and perhaps I would feel differently if someone would explain atheism in greater detail.

Humans are imaginative, greedy, self-deluded, insecure liars. I believe nothing they say unless they have proof which is logically consistant with the world I can observe. Consider that every religion demands faith without proof and what purpose that serves.

Just as I can't say anything happened without proof, I can't say anything didn't happen without proof. Doesn't atheism demand the same faith without any proof that God DOESN'T exist. Where's the proof of that? Fossils?

Taoism and Buddhism were conceived as practical philosophies and evolved into religions, mainly because ignorant peasants couldn't conceive of a ethical standard that was created by humans and not handed down by some golden idol. Please don't soil their names further by associating them with the middle eastern death cults, they are from a far greater tradition.

I was just using them as examples of religions, nothing more. I suppose I should have just said "other religions."

Last edited:

SickJoke

Ooh fun, a religious debate, whats up guys :D

Sure, but you just used Occam's Razor to attempt to figure out how the human species DIDN'T arrive in this universe. So the "resolution" we have arrived at it "creationism is not likely." I thought atheists believe, "God does not exist and his creation of humans and our universe did not happen."

Am I wrong? If so... what's the difference between atheism and agnosticism?

Atheism is simply the absence of belief in a god.

Agnosticism doesn't necessarily pertain to religion, it can be applied to any opinion. It's a lack of certainty. So agnosticism is actually compatible with both atheism and theism.

One could be an agnostic atheist: he doesn't believe in a god but he doesn't know for sure.

One could be an agnostic theist: he believes in a god but he doesn't know for sure.

I realize that no one can ever truly "know" how we got here or what happens to us when we die, but IMO, for someone to adhere to a belief system that does nothing more than reject the existence of God while offering no alternative theory is kind of ignorant. Especially if you think it is important enough to actually profess to everyone, "I'm an atheist." No offense to any atheists on this board, this is just my opinion and perhaps I would feel differently if someone would explain atheism in greater detail.

Atheism isn't a belief system, it's the rejection of a god. Atheists don't all share the same belief about the origin of the universe. I personally submit to the Big Bang Theory, and I am always open to new evidence. Other atheists may have a different opinion.

Just as I can't say anything happened without proof, I can't say anything didn't happen without proof. Doesn't atheism demand the same faith without any proof that God DOESN'T exist. Where's the proof of that? Fossils?

Atheism doesn't demand any faith because it doesn't make any claims. It's simply the absence of belief in a god. It's impossible to prove that a god does or does not exist. We also can't prove that unicorns and flying teapots don't exist - we simply don't believe in them, because there is no evidence for them; the same is true for any gods.

For a further explanation of atheism (and the absurdity of religion), check out this Richard Dawkins lecture. Part two, the question and answers section, is especially hilarious:

Dawkins in Lynchburg VA: The God Delusion (Part 1 of 2)
YouTube - Dawkins in Lynchburg VA (part 1) The God Delusion

Dawkins in Lynchburg VA: The God Delusion (Part 2 of 2)
YouTube - Dawkins in Lynchburg VA (part 2) The God Delusion

bleach

Banned
I was going to answer dpr's post but SickJoke gave a solid explanation, thanks.

I would add that there are some Strong Atheists who take it a step further and add the definitive statement 'There is no God,' to the implicit statement 'I don't believe in a God.' That group can be a little arrogant, for sure, although they hardly represent the whole, because Atheism does not have any doctrine or dogma, like SJ was saying.

Last edited:

Thelema

Sounds so simple, but *I* don't know where we came from as a species. Was it natural selection or was it gene mutation? Did homo sapiens evolve "out of Africa" or what it multiregionalism?

Bones offer us a glimpse of an explantion, and at least an alternative theory to creationism, but IMO they don't explain much. There are still way too many unanswered questions and "holes in the story" to claim to believe 100% in evolutionary theory. I'll admit it makes a lot more sense than creationism but as a previous poster pointed out so does the story of Santa Claus. I still cannot tell myself or anyone else that I "believe in" evolutionary theory.

Yes that was my only point. Shouldn't atheists (if they ask themselves enough questions) just logically end up at agnosticism? Like I said, a lot of atheists seem to think they have all the answers (God doesn't exist, now everything is wrapped up in a neat little package!), when really their belief system leads to the same dead-end street as many religious belief systems do.

"Supposed to be"... yeah, I guess. Atheism IMO has become more than just a rejection of God and creationism these days. It has become a "religion of doubt" all its own. I think a lot of people use atheism as something to hide behind... something to make themselves feel better about not knowing what happens when you die. I guess my problem with atheism is that there is no alternative theory presented. It's simply "God does not exist." A response that definitely begs a follow-up question... "Okay, then where do you think we came from?"

Well, I know for sure humans didn't come out of thin air about 4000 years ago. If you don't believe they did, you may be an atheist.

If you don't believe there is a being named Jehovah or Thor or Horus which runs the Universe, you may be an atheist.

If you don't know where the Universe comes from, and a wrathful and jealous God doesn't seem to you to be the culprit, you may be an atheist.

I don't need to know everything to know that God doesn't exist. Is there a creative force in the Universe that some day we may think of as a God, who knows?

I'm only human and am limited in my knowledge and if God wishes to enlighten me, he's welcome. Anyone can write a book about where we came from and where we go, such books are a dime a dozen. Just because it's old and a lot of people believe it, doesn't add to it's credibility.

Celephaïs

I'm pretty much an atheist now. By pretty much I mean that I feel that humans are not favored because they're at the top of the food chain. The energy has to go somewhere though, whether or not it remains sentient is up for grabs(I doubt it though). Personally there's nothing more I appreciate than busting my ass all day and coming home to pass out into oblivion. :)

I think one of main driving factors behind religion even if people can't see it, is that the purpose behind it is because pride can't come to terms with the death of the self.

I delved into all sorts of weird shit when I was younger but in hindsight can see it was all just as silly as what I was rebelling against.

me4me

pretty much i was just skimming through some posts in this thread...someone said that atheism is like being 100% curtain that god does not exist whereas the common religions are 100% sure that god does exist, and you cannot be 100% certain of either...i agree 100% with that..lol...
i guess my religion is doubt :) (watch religulous) better yet my religion is civilization :)

Nervous

Who is that guy? Just 60 seconds in and he's already called Christianity made up Roman BS and Christians are retarded.

He sounds exactly like a religious person calling atheists retarded...

I came across his videos on YouTube. Have no idea who he is.

Muslimah

Im Muslim :)

Wonder what your all thinking right now!! lol Before you all assumed im an arab terrorist....i should let you know im acutally a white Australian...born and raised...my whole family is Australian....im a revert to Islam. My family isnt religious at all.

Even though im a practising muslim...i dont push my beliefs onto anyone...as a revert i believe everyone needs to find what they feel is the truth for themselves. I aint no preacher :D I have friends from different religions and different nationalities...i dont discriminate....treat people how they treat me :) So please dont jump down my throat about being a muslim...im happy and i dont impose on anyone elses life :)

Thelema

Im Muslim :)

Wonder what your all thinking right now!! lol Before you all assumed im an arab terrorist....i should let you know im acutally a white Australian...born and raised...my whole family is Australian....im a revert to Islam. My family isnt religious at all.

Even though im a practising muslim...i dont push my beliefs onto anyone...as a revert i believe everyone needs to find what they feel is the truth for themselves. I aint no preacher :D I have friends from different religions and different nationalities...i dont discriminate....treat people how they treat me :) So please dont jump down my throat about being a muslim...im happy and i dont impose on anyone elses life :)

You sound like a Morman

I've been meaning to read the Kuran

Thelema

A morman? lol why do i sound like a morman? :S

They lull people in to a false sense of security with their...aggressive acceptance....as long as you're not gay

They think that appearing happy and accepting will make you want to believe their crazy ideas...unless you're gay

Muslimah

I was just giving my opinion....im sorry that by me being accepting of other peoples beliefs makes me sound like a morman :S

Didnt realise being accepting was such a bad thing. Oh well....you can never please everyone right!!

Ehsan

i've been muslim since i born.
i haven't been a real faithful muslim ever, but i think muslims are the only ones who love their religion more and more each day even in 2009. i think islam really makes sense.

SickJoke

i've been muslim since i born.
i haven't been a real faithful muslim ever, but i think muslims are the only ones who love their religion more and more each day even in 2009. i think islam really makes sense.

Yeah, they're rewarded 72 virgins in the afterlife for suicide bombing innocent people. Makes perfect sense to me.

Ehsan

i never confirm any type or suicide bombing or any types of bombing which kills innocent peoples, anywhere in the world and done by anyone or any army.
anyway i am not here to advertise a religion so i refer you to a post by one of your countrymen

I consider myself to be basically agnostic... however I have researched many religions on my own and find that aspects of Islam make a lot of sence...

Just don't let the media distort how you view Islam and the muslim world...