What the heck is wrong with this picture?

I gotta ask this jsut to see if there's anyone else out here that's caught themself doing this.. it's really messed up I think.

I've always had an issue with the way I look, ever since 4th grade I think.. I had messed up teeth and then severe acne as a teenager, which I still have an issue with.. was also always very small chested and tried to stuff in high school, which of course only gives me more shame nowadays.. anyway.. what's messed up is, when I'm out in public and someone looks at me or is nice to me, I think it's because they think I'm pretty...?? How messed up is that? I mean, if I've always felt so damn ugly, why in the world would I be thinking in this way? Is it some crazy obsession that I've developed over the years to cope? Does anyone else do this?

I finally am over the way I look, well, most of the time.. but I want to stop thinking this way. I don't want to think "oh this person thinks I'm pretty cause they're talking to me".. I mean, it's nice if someone thinks I'm pretty, but to actually think that way about everyone that looks my way or talks to me has become pretty detrimental.. I think guys only talk to me because they might be attracted to me, all the while I've always had issues with my looks? WTF is wrong with me?

Harleyq

I think it's because you really do hope that people think you're pretty, because if they think it, then maybe you'll start thinking it, too. It sounds like you're insecure about your looks so you're looking for someone else to relieve that insecurity. So then when people approach you, you assume it's because they find you attractive because that's what you WANT them to think. If that makes sense.

I'm sure you ARE very pretty, btw. A lot of guys probably do find you to be very attractive.

I'm a guy and yes, I usually talk more to the girls I find attractive. But what I really find attractive is not physical looks. That is secondary. Really attractive is character, the person's worldview, how she talks...

And I'm pretty sure I'm not the exception amongst guys. At least where I live. I'm sure there's lots of guys out there who look not only at physical attractiveness. Even rate it as secondary.

iamthenra

I'm a guy and yes, I usually talk more to the girls I find attractive. But what I really find attractive is not physical looks. That is secondary. Really attractive is character, the person's worldview, how she talks...

And I'm pretty sure I'm not the exception amongst guys. At least where I live. I'm sure there's lots of guys out there who look not only at physical attractiveness. Even rate it as secondary.

How true! Because when the lights go out, you want someone that you can hold a conversation with....