What was your best and worst Antidepressant?

Section_31

worst - Citalopram. It gave me bad brain fog and killed my sex drive, really bad sexual side effects and other things. BUT it DID get rid of my depression lol.

best - Wellbutrin, on it now. No real side effects. and it works for me.

aNOTfox

Although Prozac has reduced my anxiety significantly, the best anti-depressant for me so far has been the support of my best friend and family.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
My best antidepressant has been prozac, and my worst has been prozac.

This is because my only antidepressant has been prozac.

I've been on paroxetine and citalopram. They both helped with my depression, but paroxetine seemed to have sexual side effects and citalopram didn't. That is the only distinction I can think of. Oh, and the withdrawal effects were much worse on paroxetine (although I had been on it much longer than citalopram).

cocorose

The worst has been any medication I ever took.

I have found the best medication is good friends, eating healthy & getting excercise, laughing alot, and the one important thing is being surrounded by good people who lift your spirits and staying away from negativity. If you just try to stop the negative self-talk and try to stay positive, even though it is hard, just take it one step at a time. I found that that is better than any medicine you can take. And no side effects. :)

IntheLabyrinth

The worst has been any medication I ever took. I have found the best medication is good friends, eating healthy & getting excercise, laughing alot, and the one important thing is being surrounded by good people who lift your spirits and staying away from negativity. If you just try to stop the negative self-talk and try to stay positive, even though it is hard, just take it one step at a time. I found that that is better than any medicine you can take. And no side effects. :)

I agree!

I have been on paxil, zoloft and another one but I can't recall the name because it was over 12 years ago. They all helped but I couldn't stand the way I felt when I forgot to take it. It was like that feeling you get when you haven't slept in over 24 hours and you just can't think straight. Paxil was the worse but I was on it longest.

Remus

Staff member
Citalopram, cipralex, prozac, all the same for me, pretty much placebos in my case.

1BlackSheep

I've only taken Paxil, which did put an end to my panic attacks, but it made me very tired. Although now I'm not sure it was completely to blame for being tired, because I'm no longer taking it and am still tired all the time! Probably more due to low thyroid issues though.

venlafaxine, paxil, lexapro...all much of a muchness for me,
killed my sex drive, made me a bit vaguer, helped with depression a bit but did sweet f***-all for anxiety.

finally are almost completely off them now, i do find myself a bit more irritable, and as a consequence family members have coped it a bit, but I have heaps more energy.

hidwell

In my opinion the best medication for anxiety/depression would be a placebo pill. A vitamin which causes no nasty side effects but tricks your mind into thinking it is doing you some good.

Worst: Remeron. A zombie pill if there ever was one.

Best: Bupropion + Lamotrigine for a mood stabilizer. In fact the Bup isn't very effective without the Lamo.

Most fun: Amitryptyline. The hypnagogic imagery was beautiful! At 75 mg I launched into a hypomanic episode that made me feel better than excellent for eight months after I quit taking it. Apparently psychiatrists see an event like that as a failure of some kind. Later psychs wouldn't prescribe it for me, even though at the end of the eight months the number of people who wanted to kill me was negligible.

The worst has been any medication I ever took.

I have found the best medication is good friends, eating healthy & getting excercise, laughing alot, and the one important thing is being surrounded by good people who lift your spirits and staying away from negativity. If you just try to stop the negative self-talk and try to stay positive, even though it is hard, just take it one step at a time. I found that that is better than any medicine you can take. And no side effects. :)

I agree that you should have those other things, and that if they're sufficient forget the meds. But if you need them, you need them, and I do.

I have made the mistake of expecting a pill to fix everything. The result was that all the pill did was keep me from sinking beneath the waves.

I have been to therapists who made the worse mistake of thinking of a pill as a crutch that keeps their patients from learning to walk. They weren't just wrong; they endangered my life.

Last edited:

cocorose

I agree that you should have those other things, and that if they're sufficient forget the meds. But if you need them, you need them, and I do.

I have made the mistake of expecting a pill to fix everything. The result was that all the pill did was keep me from sinking beneath the waves.

I have been to therapists who made the worse mistake of thinking of a pill as a crutch that keeps their patients from learning to walk. They weren't just wrong; they endangered my life.

I understand and it's different for everyone.. as depressed as I have been I know sometimes you just really need some help, but I haven't found anything that ever really worked for me, for depression or anxiety. And I don't want to be stuck having to take something for the rest of my life. Some of the stuff I have taken for anxiety has made me feel even worse, and the last time I tried something it contributed to a huge mistake I made that has screwed up my life and will follow me for the rest, which is why I refuse to take anything.

Last edited:

akala

I never took antidepressants - too afraid to
I listen to music that brings my mood up, talk to people who are positive,
and go outside in my backyard on a chilly day with a blanket, and fall asleep.
it's very comforting lol

other than that I just get negative people out of my life.

GhoulsNightOut

I've only tried Prozac when I was in college and it didn't help. It relieved my depression for one week and then I just became an insomniac zombie after that, even when I increased the dosage.

Now my best "antidepressants" are eating healthy (mostly raw and organic), yoga, long walks, laughing, music, and a self-help book I've just started reading on how to get unstuck. The author is giving me some tough love. X)

"There's nothing stopping you from achieving your goals but you and your dumb-ass excuses."

HAHAHAsotrue....I like it.

paddy2810

When I first started on Prozac and Klonopin, I found that my SA magically disappeared. Somehow, the effect lasted only about a week. It probably helped a little bit beyond the first week too but the effect wasn't quite as pronounced.

Besides Prozac, I also tried Nardil (many, many years ago), and while it helped me cope better with SA, it had a lot of uncomfortable side effects.

Deluded into thinking that there was a "magic" pill (or combination of pills) out there which could somehow cure my SA, I also tried a host of other medicines but ended up feeling shortchanged.

Currently, I'm off medication and despite my SA, I think this is the best option for me. I do take sleep aids though (yes, I have insomnia too and have noticed that lack of sleep worsens my SA the following day).

Prozac and flunil 20 are good. Still taking them. They keep me functional.
Clonotril 0.5, I will consider it as worse. It made me sleep a lot and kept me numb for whole day. I stopped taking it now. Its not a good medicine for the people who work.

mikebird

Banned
I feel normal, and the best ever since 2004's medicine.
But it takes others' opinions to judge me - pro or personal. Maybe it's my downfall, but I can't see anything wrong - just all my natural social nervousness

Did get zombie feelings at lunchtime, years ago, but that's all different. It was in my brain - not to the public. Maybe felt like some drinks / tiredness, but different.

Bright button. Perfect sleep. Even up in small hours, I can bounce up from a 6am alarm clock and get to interview for 9am.

If there was no antidepressant at all, I might be less aggressive / irritable, but it feels under control by me. Assertive in the right situation, or I blow off when I feel oppressed, under thumb or judged by the wrong reasons.