what would it feel like not to have social phobia

I was wondering does anyone here know what it feels like not to have social phobia? i have had it for such a long time that i don't know what it feels like not to feel anxious worried and stressed whenever i have to interact with anyone. :(
i imagine it is a weightless liberating feeling, not worrying about being judged, not worrying about what to say, being free to be the real you and being comfortable with that.

racheH

I've had it since I was at least 4 and a half (I know that because I quit nursery at that age, and have specific memories of fearing disapproval from anyone there).

Yes miraculousmum that sums it up pretty well. And more than that, you actually come to enjoy interaction, rather than just using friendships for protection or self-esteem. I think some people with social phobia who are depressed may be so not just as a result of the chronic anxiety, but also because the natural need for interaction is not being satisfied, and they don’t even know it because fear of something will cancel out awareness of the need for it, like how some anorexics don’t think they want food, because it scares them. Well it was true of me, anyway. I was amazed at how much a conversation can lift low spirits. I still don't need interaction almost constantly as some do, but I actually think that is an advantage.

The bottom line is, it's worth experiencing life without social phobias or anxiety, even if you have to keep fighting to keep it that way, as I do. All phobias may return if exposure isn't frequent enough, which means I'm continuously hoping someone will disapprove of me for something kind of regularly. I do notice that it creeps back after a while if this doesn't happen. Other than that, I'm much more relaxed recovering from it than suffering with it. :)

triceratops

What does it feel like not to have social phobia?

I don't know what it feels like not to have it as I have had it since I can remember but I know if I didn't have it I would be the confident person I am when I'm with people I know well my mates, gf etc and id be able to do normal everyday things (always wanted to be a bartender but all the talking, having people watching me just sends me into a panic)
Oh well who knows some of us might end a lot better off than we are now.

"Giving up hope is not an option for people with SA"

Scyth

nighthawk

I think people that dont have SP take their social abilities for granted because they dont know the shit of not having them.

But for someone who has overcome SP or the like, -- if its possible to that degree-- i can only imagine that it would the most insanely joyous experience. The self pride, the confidence..... Wow. I've never truely known or felt those things. It would be amazing.

My ideal experience(stupid as it may be for the healthiest of egos) would be being able to go to a club(period :lol: ) and get shot down by like 10 girls and still have the self confidence to approach girl number 11. Now that would be something. I'd laugh or smile for like a straight week.
(Then maybe fall into deep depression if last girl rejected me) :lol:

hmm....to have that confidence.

A kid can dream, right? :D

PEACE

redlady

Feel like ? After overcoming it - or never having had it ? For the first, probably like being set free from a prison - the second - EASE!! Just to walk out the door and down the street and not be bombarded with a good old buggery mind fuck would be nice.

Boundless

Wish i knew :( one day i may be able to answer your question,but at the point im at now it doesnt look likely.

Greenade

I often wonder what it would be like to not have SP.... :!:

I don't wish i had NEVER had it....because then i wouldnt be as sensitive to other people's emotions and difficulties...

I DO wish that i could just wake up one morning and it would be gone....to be set free from all of this isolation and the stresses of simply opening the front door...would be like a good clean breath of fresh air....i would be able to look back on how i used to be and be happy in myself because i am not like that anymore.....

But also i would have the knowledge and ability to spot when someone else is having difficulties and feeling the way i "Used" to feel... :)

I people watch....i get that gut feeling inside when i see people with other people behaving as i want to behave...seeing them happy and together experiencing life...... I'm not jealous but i envy what they have... :roll:

It would feel pretty good in my opinion to be free from the shackles of SP, but i get the sneaky feeling if i was "cured" so to speak, then i wouldn't know i was cured.....because i wouldn't look back, and therefore become selfish i suppose living my own life......hmm
Don't know if that makes sense.....MAD RAMBLER ALERT!!!!!!!

Ade