What's the complete opposite of Social Anxiety ?

Angel_Of_Death

I say this without trying to be disrespectful to my cousin, but he's one of the most ugliest people I know, physically. If I were him, my SA would be 10 times worse and I would be extremely self conscious because of my looks.

I meet alot of people who aren't physically attractive and could be put in the "ugly" category but they don't let their appearance stand in their way of having a fun social life. And that's great, I wish I was like that too.

My cousin is like that too, but to the extreme, a case which is the far opposite of having SA. He really just doesn't seem to care what other people think. And in a way thats a good quality to have, but at the same time there is a limit which most people have too.

It's hard for me to explain but he acts in a way which I personally find embarrassing and it's extremely goofy, but he just doesen't seem to care what other people think.

Do you know anyone like this, and you think it can be a disorder like SA, but to the other extreme ? Has anyone ever thought of this ?

Angel_Of_Death

Just to make my question more clear.

Let's say on a horizontal scale. Being a fun outgoing person who isn't anxious in social situations but at the same time doesn't act in a way that would be embarrassing for himself and others, basically a "normal" person...Let's say that type of person is in the middle.

Let's say being a social phobic who avoids social situation if the extreme left.

What would be the extreme right ?

Scale:

Social Phobic----------------Normal Person--------------?????

NothingElseMatters

Maybe your cousin is using this kind of behaviour as a shield.maybe he does feel bad about himself but he tries to hide it and look like a non-caring socialized person.i't's like a way to defend himself. i do it all the time with a different way of behaviour.And the thing is we all have different personality so we all look different in the outside world.

coriander1992

I suppose the extreme right would be total, utter recklessness. Generally not giving a crap about anything, or anyone, or what anyone thinks.

People with SA think about and analyze everything, whereas a reckless person just wouldn't think about it at all.

I don't think people are as dissimiliar as we'd like to think when it comes to this sort of thing though, we just portray ourselves in different ways.

Generical

I'm kinda just being a smart mouth but i kinda see it as the opposite of any personality disorder is to be normal......Symptomwise something like ASPD (Antisocial personality disorder) seems pretty opposite to SA. The thing is usually things like this (mental problems) can go from one extreme to another, like how it's said that the quiet, nice person is the one to eventually lose it and become the biggest asshole (think me, myself and irene lol). So if the opposites are sort of attached to each other, the thing that is totally unattached to both of them is to be 'normal' or whatever so in a way that is the opposite. Therefore i see it more as a triangle than the horizontal diagram, although it's totally due to perspective.

Badly drawn triangle v

.......................Normal
....................../..........\
...................../............\
..................../..............\
.................../................\
................../..................\
...............SA --------------ASPD

but yeah that doesn't totally apply to what you were asking anyway, ended up trying to answer thread title rather than about your cousin lol