What's the craziest thing you've ever done because of your social anxiety?

xmisunderstoodx

What's the craziest thing you've ever done because of you're social anxiety?

Mines was hiding in the bathroom until school got out. To skip the classes that made me sick.

truffleshuffle

When I was a kid I skipped school alot and once I skipped for like a week straight when I was in 5th grade. I still remember hiding from my mom when she came home sometimes on her lunch breaks until the school called her to find out where I was and my dog gave away my hiding spot.

gazelle

I was jokingly imitating a popular guy that was in one of my university classes in an empty classroom with my friends when to my dismay he suddenly popped up with his friends and realized what I was up to. I felt so embarrassed that I immediately ran out of the class....I made a complete clown of myself that day.

Section_31

I got transferred to a new highschool but was too scared to go. for 6 whole months. I hid out at home or would ride the bus aroudn town. I got scareder and scareder because i knew i was digging myself a deeper an deeper hole. Amazingly my dad never got a call untill 6 months had gone by and it was the beginning of the 2nd semester. They called him and asked if id be going to the school that year. Suffice to say thats the ONLY time ive ever seen him livid with me. This put back my graduation by 2 yrs. I didnt graduate highschool untill i was 21.

I vowed again id never let my fear cause me so much indecision.

laure15

Several times, I ate lunch in the bathroom because I was so scared to go to the cafeteria. I tried so hard to keep my munching to a low volume so that other people won't notice.

Sometimes, I smiled stupidly in public when in fact, deep down, I feel so anxious and depressed.

Also, someone in class accused me of farting when in fact, it was not me but him who farted. He just kept on telling other people it was smelly in front of him (I sat in front of him). But for some reason, I kept quiet; I froze. He was a popular guy, and I was scared to say something to offend him.

I guess it would be not eating. I will completely lose my appetite if it'll involve being out in the open. The first few weeks at the university I lived off of 4 boxes of granola bars, a loaf of bread w/ Peanut Butter and Jelly and a case of bottled water. Then one day I manned up and looked for places to eat on campus. Now it's not so much of an issue, though I'll only really eat after class, which is usually only once a day. Sometimes I can force myself outside to eat later in the day.

InvisaLady

I would hide in the bathroom whenever ny class played dodgeball, kickball or basketball for gym. I have a deep fear of those nasty big red hard rubber balls!

InvisaLady

Those were my fav things to do in gym. I hated almost everything else about that class.

Lucky, I have never liked any "sports" that involved balls coming towards my body. But after being blind sided by one of those effers going about 40 mph straight to my face ( lucky I did not get a broken nose out of it). I vowed never to play any of those torture games again.

truffleshuffle

Lucky, I have never liked any "sports" that involved balls coming towards my body. But after being blind sided by one of those effers going about 40 mph straight to my face ( lucky I did not get a broken nose out of it). I vowed never to play any of those torture games again.

I don;t blame you some sports can be rough. I have had a few things that made me question my choice in playing sometimes.

awkwardamanda

There were some days during high school I didn't eat lunch all day because none of my friends were around and I didn't like eating alone in front of other people. Sometimes I ate snacks in the bathroom, which is disgusting, just because no one could see me. During junior high, if I couldn't go home at lunch, then I'd have to eat alone in a crowded room, and when we were forced to go outside I would go for a walk because I had no one to hang out with. I can eat in public if I'm with other people, but it's really uncomfortable if I'm by myself. I like to go shopping alone but stopping at the food court is awful. I've also spent a lot of time hiding in the bathrooms at weddings or other parties, just to get away from everybody.

JackOfSpades

I skipped lunch in the bathroom a few times too. In 8th grade my anxiety started developing and I couldn't focus in Math. I resorted to talking and being disruptive and anytime I got in big trouble for it, the kind that stops the class or made me the focus, I had these massive outbursts. It was almost like I was performing as a way to embrace the unwanted spotlight. I can't really explain it, and I got a reputation for being crazy, but in that way kids look up to instead of pity. None of them knew it was driven by genuine anxiety and fear.

truffleshuffle

im SO GLAD im not the only one who did that! lol

I quit my senor year because I only needed one credit and was taking a elective at a tri-tech school to fill out the rest of the day. I could do the work but the tests messed me up. Was told I was great at the work but would not pass becasue of the tests and my school told me they didn;t offer a half a day even though I only needed to take once class. We moved and I finished my senor year at another school for six months and graduated.

EscapeArtist

dropped out of highschool. that seemed really crazy because i was a 'good student', who just didn't go. going to school high on random things from the bathroom cabinet because I was so anxious about going to first class, but so guilty about not going. that was pretty stuuupid, taken that i was rather young

Last edited: