What's the Most SP/SA thing you have ever done?

StealThis

The most social phobic thing I have ever done is lived in a house with 5 other people in college and avoided them for an entire year while i lived there. I shared bathroom, kitchen, and living room with them for an entire year and I barely ever saw them. I couldn't even tell you their names. I used to stay in my room whenever i was there and if i needed to use the restroom or kitchen i would listen on the door if anyone was out there and only go if i didn't hear anyone. Pretty crazy huh?

itchy

heh, yeah I've been there. I think the most SA things I've ever done were, once in school in a drama lesson I was asked my opinion in front of the whole class and half way through talking I became so self conscious I just stopped talking mid sentence...it was weird...everyone laughed and I blamed it on a head rush! Other than that I think the worst times were when my family would have party's at our home and I'd just stay in my room for the whole evening and starve. I didn't even have the guts to go downstairs and get some food. It was like everytime the doorbell went and a new voice entered the house it was like a monster had just walked in...it terrified me. Sometimes I couldn't even face my own family when all the guests had left so I'd wait til midnight when everyone had gone to bed and sneak down then....it's so mashed up man.

Richey

itchy said:
heh, yeah I've been there. I think the most SA things I've ever done were, once in school in a drama lesson I was asked my opinion in front of the whole class and half way through talking I became so self conscious I just stopped talking mid sentence...it was weird...everyone laughed and I blamed it on a head rush! Other than that I think the worst times were when my family would have party's at our home and I'd just stay in my room for the whole evening and starve. I didn't even have the guts to go downstairs and get some food. It was like everytime the doorbell went and a new voice entered the house it was like a monster had just walked in...it terrified me. Sometimes I couldn't even face my own family when all the guests had left so I'd wait til midnight when everyone had gone to bed and sneak down then....it's so mashed up man.

:lol: Im guilty of that as well when we have a house party i stay in my room because i feel that being myself means that im not always cheery and excitable and that doesnt go down well at a party..normally you have to wear your happy go lucky mask but what for? why not just be genuine....but you shouldnt have to show yourself if your not up to it...i remember the last family party i was going well but after a while you run out of things to talk about and it gets awkward so i just use the escape route and say that i need to call a friend :lol: and dont return...its a cop out but everyone else is chatting away and i just freeze up, but im improving.

Most SA thing i ever did was driving 20km to a shopping centre and seeing loads of high school kids everywhere and people wearing skimpy! outfits on a hot day and i just couldnt get out of the car so I turned around and went home...thats happened a few times

dzerklis

the most most thing i did was when in secondary school, once i went home by train and couldnt get off in my station, yep the first year in secondary school was the time sp reached its peak.

missquiet

I had to make a speech for my birthday in front of a few hundred people but i knew i wasn't going to be able to so i didn't bother writing one..so i went up there anyway..said 2 or 3 words and walked away crying in front of everyone. 8O and i've gone an entire week at a school camp thing without talking.

I'd just stay in my room for the whole evening and starve.
i've done that. usually when a ton of my sisters friends are over ..cause the only way out is to pass through the living room where all of them are there and you walk by and all of them just staare..so i'd rather starve until they leave.

shipost

Probobly when I walked to mcdonalds a while back because I was craving a burger but I just walked past it then walked right round the street then round again then went home :lol: to many staring type people 8O

triceratops

Whenever my flatmate has friends round i stay in my room all the time. Ive gone to uni which takes me about an hour and a half traveling time then got right outside the door then turned around and gone all the way home. Not sure what the worst thing ive done is but the situations mentioned are all pretty similar to things ive done.

crescent

One day in school, I realized or a friend told me that I seem got short sighted eye that I can't read words on the board clearly, so I need a glasses. But it scared me to tell my mom, cause none of my family is short sighted, and my mom used to be very proud of it.
I finally told my mom only 2 years later while struggling everyday in school with my myopic eye, which was getting worse.

black_mamba

This is pretty embarrassing for me, especially since I've been making good progress on banishing my social anxiety, BUT...

I had my last ever academic exam yesterday and I didn't break my record: I've never had the guts to stick my hand up in an exam ever (in front of hundreds of people) to ask for more paper (even when I desperately needed it) or to ask for my wobbly desk to be fixed. Urgh. Awful.

And plenty of similar situations to ones already posted here, like wanting to go somewhere, turning up late and not having the guts to go in, plus living with about 5 people all of whom I avoided like the plague, and being too scared to get off at my bus stop because it would involve standing up in front of lots of people. :roll: That and not leave the house for 3 months last year.... oh no, thinking about all these things is making me feel a bit sad but at the same time its nice to see how far I've come. :eek:

Alejandro

The most social phobic thing that I've done was when I was eating at a shopping mall. Along comes a girl, who I used to go to university with. Because I hadn't seen her for so long I had a panic attack. She sat a few tables away with her boyfriend. She knew that I was there but I avoided making any contact with her. I quickly ate my lunch and zoomed out of there. :|

Septor

I don't know.The most social phobic thing that I've probably ever done was when I was in the last year of high school.When my social phobia was just getting really bad I had got stuck in a debate class that I could not get out of.Sufficient to there was allot of speaking in front of the class or in large groups.It freaked me out the first time so much when I went that every day when I had that class,as stupid as it sounds I would hide in the boys bath room stall until the period was over and I would do this every day.Of course with all those unexcused absences I was kicked out of school after a couple of mouths of doing this. :(

Mary

Mine is similar to Septors, I went about a week not going to class my first week at a new school..I played, "Hookey" in the girls bathroom, I stayed in the stall all day! It wasn't so boring because there was a friend of mine next to me and we would talk..lol! :lol:
The other thing that was really bad, was that I went 3 days without eating, I was at my bf. house and had to stay due to reallly bad weather but I could not make myself eat, even though I was starving! And his sisters were there and I knew they thought I was so strange.. :(
After I got married (different guy) I went about a year or so not being able to eat in front of my hubby! But now we do everything together! :D

Quixote

Like other people wrote, I sometimes go places and then turn around and go back home just before entering. I do it quite often actually, the last time was today unfortunately...

I do it for uni lectures, exams, once for a job interview, a couple of times when going to the barber shop (something I hate) or the auto-mechanic etc... Every time I feel I'm really hopeless. I was pleasantly surprised though to see that I'm not the only one who does this sort of thing.

Lotrsfan

I'd just stay in my room for the whole evening and starve.
i've done that. usually when a ton of my sisters friends are over ..cause the only way out is to pass through the living room where all of them are there and you walk by and all of them just staare..so i'd rather starve until they leave.[/quote]

that's so happened to me before. My sister had a friend round and they spent the whole day right from about 8:30 in the morning til 6 in the evening, and i just basically cooped myself upstairs all that day on the computer and didnt even come down to get some breakfast or lunch, coz i have to pass through the lounge too to get to th and i couldn't do it, incase my sister and her friend stare, or laugh or i was worried that there would be an ackward silence. When she finially went home, and i could finially go downstairs - relaxed, then i couldn't wait to get dinner down me lol :oops: Then the other embaressing thing: When i was upstairs, my sister did come up round about lunchtime and said "aren't you going to come downstairs and get something to eat...we don't bite!?" and i was so worried that her friend would hear her say that as she was still downstairs at the time, coz i don't really want her to know i suffer from SA. and i just said "No, i'm not hungry" a little loud so that her friend could hear, but i don't think she did.

renegade

Usually I avoid phobic situation but there was one time where this idiot teacher decided everyone in class should learn a lesson and present it in front of the class, explain it and everyone else was supposed to ask questions about the lesson.

What use I knew the damn lesson like a poem, when anxiety kicked in, I was looking at the other students infront of the class and the words wouldn't come as I wished....so of course noone didn't uderstood anything. So afterwards there were a lot of questions I was supposed to answer, like I was the teacher or something.

That really was the most anious thing I couldn't excape. Of course I thought about skipping class, but in the end I still had to tell my thing, so... :evil:

Quixote

Lotrsfan said:
My sister had a friend round and they spent the whole day right from about 8:30 in the morning til 6 in the evening, and i just basically cooped myself upstairs all that day on the computer and didnt even come down to get some breakfast or lunch,

I can relate to this one as well. I too have a younger sister and this means that at times you have three or four laughing-screaming-overexcited girls around the house. Incredibly horrible. What I do is I summon up my courage to say hello and do a few minutes (or better seconds) of small talk, looking more or less like a normal self confident older brother. But I can only play that part for a few minutes, with great effort, and then I have to find some excuse and run to my room, or better leave the house in a hurry like I'm heading for some important business (obviously I never know where to go, so I normally just end up going to the university library and stay there until the evening like a fool :) )

GIOLANDA

I don't think I could name only one,there are many that I consider worse. Here are some of them:
1-I ate in the bathroom,at University and at work too(but I still do it sometimes :oops: )
2- My uncle visited us with his wife and as I was in bed,I pretended sleeping all the time so as to avoid them.
3- I starved all day when I was out with friends,because I felt I couldn't eat in front of them.

endless8

In grammer school I'm always the kid that sat in the back of the room because sitting up front I feel as if the whole class is always looking at me. I remember a couple of occassion where I piss and took a shit in my seat because I was so scared to have to ask for permission then walk past the class to get to the restroom. I would wait around for break time when everyone left the classroom then rush off the bathroom to clean myself up. Some pretty embarrassing moments indeed. Imagine having to walk a certain way so the shit wouldnt drip down your pants.

toward the end of grammer school I somehow became extermely rebellious and considered myself an extrovert always speaking what is on minds and not giving a care what other thought. Looking back it was a way for me to offset my phobia. I had many friends and girlfriends and I just felt great all the time even though I was the kid your parents would tell you to stay away from.

StealThis

endless8 said:
In grammer school I'm always the kid that sat in the back of the room because sitting up front I feel as if the whole class is always looking at me. I remember a couple of occassion where I piss and took a shit in my seat because I was so scared to have to ask for permission then walk past the class to get to the restroom. I would wait around for break time when everyone left the classroom then rush off the bathroom to clean myself up. Some pretty embarrassing moments indeed. Imagine having to walk a certain way so the shit wouldnt drip down your pants.

toward the end of grammer school I somehow became extermely rebellious and considered myself an extrovert always speaking what is on minds and not giving a care what other thought. Looking back it was a way for me to offset my phobia. I had many friends and girlfriends and I just felt great all the time even though I was the kid your parents would tell you to stay away from.

wow.. thats pretty extreme. I never pissed and shit my pants because of my phobia, but i can say that i have indeed pissed in the sink a few times ;)

stormygrey

Hi all
I'm new here
Well the most SP thing I've done is...
1)hide in the toilet the whole while during breaks or any free time at my college. sometimes an hour at a stretch, sometimes almost 2.
2)went all the way to the other end of town because I needed to sign up for some exam but came all the way back the minute I got there... I know, sounds kinda silly.. :oops:

update: cutefluffykitten! I also let the taxi drivers keep the change at times!