When i grow up I want to be....

LilMissTragic

Socialphobia stopped me going to Uni and therefore messed up my ambition a little, i still have that ambition and am doing all i can to fulfill it.
I want to be a Zoologist and have had this dream since I was in my teens. Has anyone else put thier ambitions on hold because of thier SP?

Crimefish

I want to be an animator and voice actor in Japan. I love drawing anime, and I love speaking Japanese, but there's no one here who can understand what I'm saying.
I had to drop my art GCSE because it wasn't as important as the core subjects, and I didn't have the energy/motivation to do hardly any work. But I'm taking my exams in June, so maybe after that I'll do a few more subjects. :)

Dedication

For as long as I can remember I've always wanted to be a professional singer / songwriter / performer. I still write music, play my guitar and sing (albeit poorly) but only when there's no one else around and only for fun. I will always ask myself "What if...?"

LilMissTragic

er...Well, i'm nearly 32 and still haven't got my life sorted. but I am determined and very stubborn so I know i will get there.....later rather than sooner it seems.

lawyerguy

Hi, I've always wanted to be a lawyer all my life because I always wanted to stand up and represent others and help them out in life. But I was always shy and everyone told me that I should pick a profession more suitable to my personality. BUt I really wanted to be a a lawyer and I went to college and law school and succeeded anyways despite the fact that I am super shy. Now I've succeeded in becoming what I've always wanted to become despite my social difficulties..it takes ALOT of work and effort to do it..(speaking in front of a court is TORTURE)..but its a bit like labor..its agony when you're going through it..but afterwards you feel proud of yourself. :) anyways I'm here to tell you that you shouldn't let SP get in the way of your dreams or anything. ANYTHING's possible..because if I could do it so can you. :)

JWH

I don't know what I want to do ideally, but I do realise that SP has made me unhappy for a long time. I guess long term I just want to be happy.

pitkreet

Well done lawyerguy, you should be rightly proud of what you've achieved, particularly given your condition...

...in fact, part of me is almost disappointed that, going through what you have to go through whilst speaking in front of a court with such onerous responsiblity, this exposure hasn't helped you rid yourself of SP. I guess it's proof that SP is one of those stubborn phobias that doesn't necessarily improve with exposure therapy....therapists take note!!

But thesedays, I'm with Jane. I don't really care much about a career any more....not that I ever did. I know a career won't make me happy...it's just a job. Ridding myself of SP and finding some sort of happiness and contentment in life is what I want to achieve when I grow up, although I was supposed to have grown up many years ago.

Chilling__Echo

i am going to be a clinical psychologist

ahhhhh no way. that's always been my dream. the only problem is that you only have a chance (in most US state) if you have a Ph.D. b/c without it you need supervision and you're limited to what you can do. and getting a Ph.D. means doing a dissertation (research project that eventually goes in front of a board to judge.)

but there is anothe doctoral degree options (Psy.D.) that isn't so research based w/ no disertaion but there aren't any programs in my state :cry:

what are your plans fredscarecrow?

Fredscars

Chilling__Echo said:
i am going to be a clinical psychologist

ahhhhh no way. that's always been my dream. the only problem is that you only have a chance (in most US state) if you have a Ph.D. b/c without it you need supervision and you're limited to what you can do. and getting a Ph.D. means doing a dissertation (research project that eventually goes in front of a board to judge.)

but there is anothe doctoral degree options (Psy.D.) that isn't so research based w/ no disertaion but there aren't any programs in my state :cry:

what are your plans fredscarecrow?
gna get into warwick university with maths gcse grade b at least and three alevels at grade ABB or above and do three years to get a basic psychology degree and form there take another 3 years to pass the exams needed to get into chartered clinical psychology and then i think i need a year of supervision and thatll be it :D
i dont know about board judgements or anything but i dont care. im doing it. im notg letting this SA spoil what i want to do.

Chilling__Echo

ohhh yeah, i didn't realize that you weren't in the US, your programs are probably different. that's still awesome through

wutnow

No, it's never too late. When I went back to college I saw grandfathers, grandmothers, single mothers with kids, single fathers with kids, married couples, married couples with children, pregnant single mothers, returning burnouts/ dropouts in their 30's and 40's. All kinds and types of people. I was actually older than some of my professors. We even had kids in class sometimes.

Alot of us have some special talent that is trapped by our SP. Try to use it as a tool to break out. Lawyerguy's post is similar to my experience. Man, if you know you're good at something, enjoy it, develop it, and if you can and want to, make a living from it.

Now I've got to work on everything else, but at least that's out of the way.

Secret_Smile

I want to be a Journalist.
When I was at school, I was badly bullied and SP had really kicked in. I stopped talking and the only way I really communicated was through writing. I found that I was pretty good at it so I want to do something with it.

I've gotten an offer From 5 Universities and I've picked my First and Second choice ones so, provided I get the right A Level results, I'm off to do BA Journalism with Media Studies in September.

There is no way in hell I'm letting SP stop me from doing what I want, its pissed me off for too long and I want some controll and some kind of life back!

I want to be a prof when I grow up. I know it's a very bad idea - talking in front of hundreds of people. But I still have years to prepare for it.

[Edit] I forgot to say what kind of professor. Computer engineering is my first choice right now. Cognitive science is good. Psychology is not bad.