When your life sucks...

Littlewing13

Many of us have days(/weeks/months) that we feel like our lives suck & the world is against us and we can't seem to pull ourselves out.

I was just thinking about karma and how some people believe that if you do good deeds then you will have good things happen to you.

Then I thought about it scientifically in terms of chance (which is what I believe in).

If you think of your life events in terms of numbers from one to 100, below 50 is events most people would consider bad, and above 50 is events most people would consider good.
Take a random number generator & see what it comes up with a number of times.
Chances are, if you do it enough, the numbers will appear randomly but fairly evenly across our scale. If you do it enough, there will likely not be a significant amount more below 50 than above.
Therefore if you really think that life sucks, chances are that things will turn around. (And most likely life doesn't suck as much as you think anyway)

I hope that helps & that I've explained it clearly. For me it was like an "ah-ha!" moment that I just had to share.

surewhynot

Don't take this the wrong way, but your reasoning is flawed.

You are suggesting that whenever a life event occurs, it has exactly as much chance of being bad as it has of being good. That is what you are suggesting when you bring up the random number generator. You would need to prove firsthand that this premise is true before your argument could be considered valid.

When you roll a dice, it has exactly as much chance to land on any of the 6 faces. In that particular scenario, such an argument could be valid. However, life events aren't this simple. A certain individual could have more chance of living bad events than good events, considering his social situation.

I don't know if my explanation is clear.

xDreamseller

Hmm, if you do good things, good things are more likely to happen to you also. Once you do something, it sets a whole series of actions in motion that wouldn't have occurred otherwise.

Give someone a hand with their homework? They might help you out when you need some help in the future or buy you a coffee or something if it was particularly difficult, for example. Plus, doing good things makes you feel good anyway, so it's a double bonus.

Sure, good things happen to bad people too, but that's just life. Most of the time it catches up to them though. You might not make the most money or have the most friends, but you'll probably be happier on the inside.

But don't listen to me, I don't believe in the whole "good/bad" thing. In my mind it's different. I just think that as long as you aren't hurting someone else in a negative way, then that's fine and you can do what you want. Things like multiple wives/husbands aren't bad...if you're all happy with the arrangement, then why shouldn't multiple people be in love together?

awkwardamanda

Things like multiple wives/husbands aren't bad...if you're all happy with the arrangement, then why shouldn't multiple people be in love together?

In many of those cases I doubt that all parties involved truly are happy. They may claim to be, but I don't believe they're all telling the truth. At least some of them are likely pressured into the situation and too afraid to leave.

MikeyC

I think this is basically a long way of explaining the law of averages.

Unfortunately, life doesn't always work out that way, but I can understand what you mean.

I'm Not There

When you roll a dice, it has exactly as much chance to land on any of the 6 faces. In that particular scenario, such an argument could be valid. However, life events aren't this simple.

Exactly. Also if you roll a die and it lands on a 6 say twenty times in a row, there's no guarantee whatsoever that the 21st time will also be a 6. So basically encountering a series of "bad events" in your life doesn't mean that anytime soon things just have to take a turn for the better. What I'm trying to say is that life, like the outcome of a die roll, is random and unpredictable.

Last edited:

Littlewing13

Surewhynot: Yeah naturally there are many other factors such as socioeconomic background, culture, upbringing etc that may influence this differently for each person. Im not putting forth an exact science, I think that that would be impossible (or we would be able to predict future events), just a suggestion for the way you (I) look at the world.

Also it can indicate that its the way you see events in your life. eg if a persons computer breaks they can say "damn everything bad happens to me" or "Damn, that sucks but I've had it for years, I got my moneys worth and its time for an upgrade anyway". For the first person the event might feel like its a 20, for the 2nd it might be a 40.

Theres never any guarantee that a good/bad event is going to happen in life. But I guess I just put this model forward as a way of seeing that a) there is a whole spectrum of possibilities that are available for each person, b) either there is a chance of good things happening or you need to adjust your way of thinking.

Of course this is for random events too. Naturally as xDreamseller was saying, the more you do good things, ie help people or work hard, you increase the possibility of good events. Its all theory though obviously.