Why do I have OCD and how can I cure it?

michael1993

I don't understand why I have OCD but I've had it for 3 or 4 years now. I have a great family, I'm intelligent, and I play sports but for some reason when I'm alone OCD takes over. It controls all areas of my life such as diet, exercise, and games.

First I'll explain about my diet. I am in no way fat but whenever I eat something that is not part of my meals, even something small like a piece of gum, I just go on a binge eating tons of junk food and become disgusted with myself.

Another area where it effects me is gaming and the internet in general. When playing a game I feel that I have to do everything perfectly and if I mess up then I start over. I don't just mean mess up as in die or lose match, but mess up as in I hit the wrong button or click the wrong thing.
I find myself starting over and over, countless times, on games that I used to love and enjoy. When I join a forum if I scroll around to much or something minor like that, I create a new email adress and register again. I have created probably over 100 accounts on several forums and online games without ever accomplishing anything.

It also effects my powerlifting routine but I am learning to get over that because even if I start a new routine, I can not restart my body.

Whenever I give into OCD behavior I just think to myself that I'll start fresh tomorrow and do everything perfectly and it will be cured, but obviously that never works and thus I am constantly afflicted.

Taking showers, brushing my teeth, and handwashing also help to make me feel better.

I have heard people say that the best way to conquer OCD is to face it head on and not give in to the rituals but I find this so hard to do. I used to be so happy and enjoyed life so much but now I am in the constant misery of starting over.

If you guys have any advice that will help me to overcome this, I beg you please share.

Helyna

You have OCD because something is imbalanced in your brain. Sorry. Anyway, there's nothing about your life that gives it to you.
You probably should focus on one ritual at a time, the least important-seeming first, trying to block out just that one. One step at a time! I can't imagine that anyone would be able to quit everything at once.

emale2

Don't cure it, instead use it

I have been trying to use my OCD force to my advantage recently. When you use it for good it can be very powerful. In order to make some extra money I went to http://cashcrate.com/996129 and started repeatedly doing surveys and offers and have been able to make some good money side money. Its like an outlet for my OCD that simultaneously helps myself and family

matthew brownlee

i honeslty dont think there is a cure for ocd, you can greatly reduce the effects of ocd though, start doing research on exposure and response prevention, its is a very effective treatment for ocd, i will explain more about it soon, till then go see a pyschologist, he or she will point u in the right direction for ur problem

R

rcgoodwill

The best thing, that is imperative, is you must decide you can defeat ocd. No, you just can't wash ocd away like a quick magic wand, but if you know you want to change and that you can, that will help. Setting goals such as SMART goals can help-Specific Measurable Attainable Realistic Tiime Limited.
Sometimes jjoining an ocd group can be helpful, although, in group therapy, i find that w/in one hour, only 1 or 2 people get to talk about their issue, it's just not enough, and it never solves the whole thing.
You can work on confidence if you want to, but it's more important to be able to control the symptoms of ocd.
The ultimate help, if you can find it, is to find an ocd therapist who is trained at exposure response prevention.Out of pocket payment, is just too much for most people to afford, thus try to see if you're insurance can pay for the bulk of it, or try apllying for SSD Also, they say it takes ,on average, something that is like ocd therapy takes an average of 17 years to find, so you're in the same boat as a lot of people, once you've diagnosed it as the problem.
I graduated collage in 1993, and got depressed bec I felt like I had no control over my life and that my ocd was controlling me.
it's difficult to change, and you don't wake up one day and say that you're cured, bec working on it, is usually a lifetime effort. But if you believe and want to do it, then it's very possible.