Why oh Why

Anonymous

Hey everyone.

I had to get this horrible story off my chest, for a few reasons. One being, I just need to tell someone, secondly, Im hoping some of you guys might have some answers.

Last week I applied for a job and was hired right away. They asked me to come in for my orientation today. So when I went in, everything was fine, I was understandably a bit nervous. The boss was just talking about his background and introducing himself. Then he asked us to introduce ourselves. I was in the second row, most likely Id say 5th or 6th to do it. For some wierd reason, my heart started pounding, and I was looking for excuses to leave. Then the third guy was talking, and as soon as he was done, my head started spinning, I had no idea what to do, I was sweating like crazy too. Then I could hear the next guy talking, and I didn't know if I was up next. All I could remember was looking around and seeing about 30 blurry faces. I couldnt take it anymore, so without saying a word, I just got up and left the room. I also left a great job for an 18 y/o. I always knew I had SA, but until this day I never ever realized how bad it was. I believe that god will heal me from it, but for now Ive found myself I horrible shape today. The worst part is, that looking back at that, I cant picture myself doing it, my heart just pounds thinking about doing it.

So some questions I had are..

Why would I just freak out all of a sudden like that(keeping in mind I do have SA, but have never freaked out that bad)?
What is there to cure this, or if not cure, atleast control it so I can atleast get another job like that?
And finally, can anyone please share similar stories and ways you got over it, if you did?

Thanks alot in advance everyone!! :D

Alternator

Jesuslovesme said:
Why would I just freak out all of a sudden like that(keeping in mind I do have SA, but have never freaked out that bad)?
What is there to cure this, or if not cure, atleast control it so I can atleast get another job like that?
And finally, can anyone please share similar stories and ways you got over it, if you did?

Thanks alot in advance everyone!! :D

There's no way of telling exactly why you freaked out on this particular situation. It could be the new environment, the new position, or maybe you just werent comffortable with the people who were there.
There's no cure for this, but you can definitely control. The only two ways I know of are medications and cognitive behavioral therapy. Of the two, I prefer the latter because I just can't deal with the side effects and withdrawal symptons, and it may take a while for you to find the right med for you.

I know similar situations have happened to me a hundred times. Sometimes I freaked out, sometimes I was able to face the fear. I still dont know why, and I guess there's no explanation for it, it's all about your state of mind at the time of the incident.

Anonymous

Thanks for your responses.

BTW worrydoll. This orientation wasnt only with the boss, it was with about 30 people, kind of like a class. Personally, I find myself to be quite confident with one on one interviews.

Anyways, Alternator; With medications such as Paxil, which Ive heard alot about, how much do they usually go for? How long does it take it kick in? And is it just temporary, or is there a chance it will stop it all together?

This Behavioral therapy stuff is largely talked about also. How does this work and how much can it end up costing on average. Im one of the many who haven't opened up to anyone about my SA. I only panic that much when theres alot of people expecting me to do something, mainly talking. Around family, friends, girlfriends and ex-co-workers I was just fine.

Do you recommend those two things for just fear of public situations? If not, what do you recommend? Thanks for your help.

Alternator

I have no idea how much it would cost. I know it varies from state to state.
Most drugs for SA are not the type you would take just when you have to face a difficult situation. They are drugs that need to be taken everyday. It should take about 3 weeks for it to start kicking in. On average people take them for two years, and only a professional should be able to tell you the rate of rellapse. Cognitive behavioral therapy is simply the restructuring of your brain. It 'teaches'you how to stop the negative thinking and such things. As I mentioned before, this is my favorite method and I'm almost sure the rate of rellapse is much lower than that of the medication.
If you are not able to afford these, I strongly suggest the Social Anxiety Institute's CBT Book and Tape Series. This is NOT just another self help book it's decades of studies on Cognitive Behavioral Therapy in one book.
The hard part is you have to do this therapy every single day. And they have support groups all over the world.

Anonymous

Im actually not extremley worried about the price, I just always ask that question.

I might look into CBT, but I have very little free time nowadays, so somethings telling me most likely medication. I have got another job, no public speaking involved. Its hard work, long hours, kind of like my old job. So Ill usually either be working, sleeping or with the lady.

Thanks for your suggestions Alternator. :p :p