Will be trying iontophoresesis for the 1st time

tmlynn

Hello everyone!! I am new here and this is my first post.

Next week I will be trying iontophoresis for the first time and I will be getting it here at the hospital where I work thru the physical therapy dept. Let me give you a little background about me before I address my questions.

I am 33 years old/female. I have had HH all my life up until I had ETS done when I lived in Richmond, VA in 2000. It changed my life as it enabled me to have dry hands for the first time in my life. It also reduced my feet sweating by about 50%. If there is anyone considering ETS reading this, keep in mind there are risks to ANY kind of surgery and all procedures of any kind MAY not work for everyone(I say this from 13+ years of working in the medical profession myself). I didn't let other people's negative or dissapointing experiences deter my decision to have it done. In fact, it really bothers me that some of you who are suffering so horribly have automatically ruled it out. I found a very knowledgable thoracic surgeon at the hospital I worked, asked questions and made sure I felt very comfortable w/him and he did the procedure. I actually have surgical clips on my ganglions instead of having them removed.

I have tried various things over the years for my plantar HH such as Drysol (doesn't work and is a pain in the a&*) and I also tried Dehydral, which worked very well but left the skin on my feet very hard. I actually had no intentions of trying anything else as my feet only sweat half the time and I have been patiently waiting for an improved lumber sympathectomy procedure to come about. A podiatrist suggested this to me when I went to him about a buinionectomy consult and since I don't have to pay for it I figure I'll give it a try. So I have a few questions after reading a couple of posts already.

1) If any of you have had this done in a hospital/clinic session how frequently did you have it done and how long before your sweating stopped?

2) I've noticed some of you with home devices seem to do this everyday initially? Why? I've seen some of you have take a day break in between and other articles I've read on the internet suggest this.

3) Curious if there is anyone who only has mild/moderate sweating like I do and have had this done? How quickly did it work?

Thank you for any responses.

beckiboo

hey! im also a newbie and I admire the fact you havent let your HH stand in the way of a good career,
in response to your question, I suffer quite badly in the hands and feet and have been undergoing iontophoresis for the first time this month, im now on my 5th session and my 6th is tomorrow, im sad to say I havent noticed much, if any improvement so far...that doesnt mean im not hopeful! I still have 2 sessions to go and the nurse told me I should notice a difference between the 4th-7th sessions. If you like I can update you on how its going at the end of my month's course-im really hoping this works as im afraid of having the ETS surgery, id hate to end up worse off-its devastating enough on my life as it is...any advice you could colud give on this would be much appreciated as youve had it done yourself

thanks, becki