work

black_mamba

Do you have any hobbies you could say you were improving your skills on? Or make up some garbage about doing one off voluntary work projects coupled with travel coupled with hobbies. :p

aoao

say you had a boyfriend or girlfriend in a neighboring city or town and you found work there but you broke up with that person.

i dunno.

Fighter86

tell your boss that u had 'a really pressing personal problem' that needed u to take care of. Also, when u say it, look as if it really was indeed a very personal problem, so personal that the boss will be sypathetic enough not to question u for details. That's what I said when people asked me why I applied for time off school

nerdgirl178

I was out of a job for like almost nine months, I felt like a loser, and completely useless, I would call places and set up interviews, I found a job in less than two weeks. When someone asked me why I haven't worked in so long I said I was traveling, it worked.

vanessa

i don't know. if i apply and they think i'm stupid they might make fun of me. thats what i would call failure

aoao

if you were to be interviewed, it would be none of their business what you did for the past year. just make up something, it doesn't matter. after i dropped out of school i didn't have a job for a year and a half and no one cared or made fun of me.

young

after i dropped out of school i didn't have a job for a year and a half and no one cared or made fun of me.

well since you were still out of high school, they probably assumed you were busy with school and that's why you didn't work.

Vanessa said:
don't know. if i apply and they think i'm stupid they might make fun of me. thats what i would call failure

Well for starters them making fun of you, would have nothing to do with you being a failure or not. That would just be them being a-holes. Now you say you have had a year gap working. That may or may not be brought up. If they do ask you. Just tell them that you have been looking for the right job that fully utilizes your skills, and offers the pay and the benefits that you are looking for.

black_mamba

vanessa said:
i don't know. if i apply and they think i'm stupid they might make fun of me. thats what i would call failure

Oh no, please don't be put off by employers. Rejection of all part of this ugly process. I've lost count of the number of jobs I've applied to and never heard back from. I always look at it as practice and try and make each application form and interview better than the last (because they're never perfect). The one thing employers NEVER do is give you feedback on why you were rejected in the first place. (Thats something that bugs me because sometimes it is useful...)

I dunno - if you don't feel ready then thats cool, but you could research into making your app forms and resumé more effective in the mean time (thats unless you need a job to live on the money).

I really hope you try at least. It took me ages to pluck up the courage this year to look and within a few hours of searching I found a job that didn't require an interview, bingo!

<--If this heap of nerves can do it, so can you. It all boils down to whether you want to make it work or not. Good luck, and I sincerely mean that. :)