worried about driving

kmad

I have not drove on my own for seven years. I used to drive all the time by myself and loved it. One day it all changed. I was driving to school and passed a pedestrian and thought "what if I hit them". I started driving around and around the block, I don't know how many times until I had to make myself stop. After that, driving was not the same. I always worried. So I eventually stopped. I am now trying to get back into driving on my own. I am tired of limiting my life becuase of OCD. I am now driving with my husband in the car. I know now that I would know if I hit someone. Now I worry that when I'm changing lanes, what if someone is trying to cross the road and I made them jump off the side of the road and kill themselves or jump into another lane to try to get out of the way and get run over by someone else. I would never know. I know it's sounds so stupid. I am seeing a psychologists tomorrow. I had a really hard day today. I am a christian and believe that the Lord has healed me. I just need to have Faith that the feeling to my healing is coming now.

Lilame

I had the same thought as I was obsessed about hurting people. driving a big vehicle gives you the means to hurt people , does't it ?

Well, first you need to know that if you were a psychopath who wanted to hit /kill people , you would enjoy thinking of hitting them, you would not be terified of this thought .

Secondly, YOU HAVE TO KNOW ( you need to incript this in your brain ) , that this is just a thought , it has nothing to do with reality .

Thirdly , but very important , you need to drive . A lot . Every day.

I explained it very very quickly , but if you follow these steps , i am sure that you can be free of your obsession in a few weeks, at most . Belive me , I had it :)

sweetpea6656

Driving and OCD

Hi, I am new to this forum about OCD and I am so excited I found it! I have been with my boyfriend for 5 years and he suffers from OCD. It wasn't until just recently that I discovered he had OCD. The signs were always there but he never told me about OCD and that he had once been told he had it by a therapist.

5 years ago, just after we started dating,when we were 16, my only parent, my mother passed away from breast cancer and we were both there to see her dead. Ever since this traumatic event he h started having driving problems. Because of the living arrangements we then lived 30 miles apart from each other which made it even more difficult. When he first told me what he was thinking when he was driving I didn't know what to think. He told me that when he went through cross walks he thought he hit someone and he would have to turn around and check. This happened almost every day and it got to the point where it was too difficult for himto drive. Family began transporting him where he needed to go and this was an obvious problem and no one really knew what it was. The things you said worried you about driving were exactly the same in my boyfriend and he decided to go see a therapist. I don't think she did much for him because he suddenly stopped seeing her. He then became so frustrated with the problem that he started forcing himself to drive again no matter how much he would hav to go back and check he would still do it.

After many headaches and not understanding he started getting a little better and everytime soeone was with him in the car he had to have tem reassure him everything was ok. He has never gone back to a therapist but because he forced himself to keep driving and so often he helped himself. It is 5 years later and I just found out this is OCD so I have been researching like crazy and I am so amazed to hear that other people have the EXACT same problems.

He still encounters these problems but much less than he use to. When he backs out he often drives away a few feet then stops and turns around to make sure everything is ok and asks me to reassure him everything behind him is ok. I agree with the other reply that you have to find the courage to pickup driving again and start out with someone with you and just remind yourself these are just thoughts that do terrify you and because you are much more observant now of pedestrians you are constantly looking and there is no way you would miss something. You would feel it , see it, or hear it if anything hit the car or you hit something. While I don't know how this feels first hand I completely understand because I have lived with someone with these same problems for 5 years now. I hope you find the courage and are able to regain the "normalcy" in your life again, you are not alone!!

My boyfriends parents also did a test for him, he had the car in the driveway and they hit the car with their hand in different spots at diferent pressures so he could see what it sounded like if something rally did hit the car, also they would talk or yell witht he windows down and up and with music on so he had another sense of what it would sound like...just some tips that may help.